VC3 - VC4 Questions

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
mvdude
Sergeant
Sergeant

VC3 - VC4 Questions

Post by mvdude »

Hi All,

I need VC3 / VC4 questions answered. Ernie Baals Jr was nice to provide me some info a month or so ago. I have found a restorable VC closed cab. A few questions, some of which Ernie answered, but I now need a refresh on. Someone put a dodge 1 ton rear end under this truck years ago. Questions... 1st, can I use a half ton wc rear end to replace the 1 ton rear end ? Ernie tells me the rear end on a VC is more similar to a 39-40
1/2 ton standard Dodge pickup. Will the WC 1/2 ton 4x4 rear end work ?
If not, why not. What is the differential gear ratio on a vc ?

Question 2... What is the light ( not gross ) weight of a VC closed cab ?

Question 3.... What is the wheelbase ?

Question 4.... What is the overall total legnth ?

MOST important question 5.... Does anyone have a set of 5 VC wheels AND a VC rear end they would be willing to sell or trade off ? I can trade on Power Wagon parts, an M100 trailer with a military 5kw Hobart generator with Hercules 4 cyl flathead motor, or an M416, or combo of above with cash.

Thanks in advance, Bob Stopka, MVPA # 3986, 850-624-6319
Bob Stopka ( MVPA 3986 )
Chris Davis
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Weights and such...

Post by Chris Davis »

I copied this from the Standard Military Vehicle Listing TM9-2800... but I'm not certain it's a VC. It covers T-207 and T-211 engineering codes and there is a seperate listing for 1/2 Ton WC... so maybe this one covers the VC?

I can't help with the axle questions... Gordon may know.
Chris Davis
'45 WC-51
MVPA# 20000
Centerville, UT
http://www.surplustrucks.com/WC51/WC51Home.htm
Mike W.
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mike W. »

Welcome to the forum. Gordon is the resident expert on these early civvy bodied trucks and will probably answer your questions when he gets back on the forum, until then go look at this vehicle sites as he has a few :lol: VC trucks that he is working on. Where in Fla.?
Mike W.
3rd generation US Navy Vet.
Ft. McCoy, Fla.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Here we go....

Post by Gordon_M »

Questions... 1st, can I use a half ton wc rear end to replace the 1 ton rear end ? Ernie tells me the rear end on a VC is more similar to a 39-40
1/2 ton standard Dodge pickup.

Eeeek - no. The one ton rear end 1939-40 was very similar in appearance to the military VC setup but with six lug disc wheels. In both series the axle sat directly on the driveshaft (broken driveshaft = wheel falls off) Military half ton 1941-up and civilian one ton 41-up have floating driveshafts and different differential types to the earlier 1 tons so not much interchange. Bottom line is - if you have a 39-40 one ton rear axle - stick with it. If it's a 41-up one ton rear try to find a VC rear axle.

Will the WC 1/2 ton 4x4 rear end work ? Not in that axle .... 8~(

If not, why not. What is the differential gear ratio on a vc ? VC is 4.89, just like the half ton WC, One ton could be anything but the actual type of differential is different.

Question 2... What is the light ( not gross ) weight of a VC closed cab ?
No idea, but lighter than a half ton WC as it's lighter made all round.

Question 3.... What is the wheelbase ? 116"

Question 4.... What is the overall total legnth ? same as WC half ton give or take a hair.

MOST important question 5.... Does anyone have a set of 5 VC wheels AND a VC rear end they would be willing to sell or trade off ? You'll be lucky - a good few about but most people want / need to hand on to what they have.

So, what's your front axle then? If it is an original VC front axle the diff cover won't be removable. If you have a removable diff cover you have a WC half ton front axle that someone has put VC axle ends on (very common) That's fine and no problem unless you are looking for absolute originality.

In your position my number one plan of attack would be to watch E-Pay for a VC 1 hulk (about four or five turned up last year for less than $1000) and strip the axles, wheels, and anything else you can off it.

It's easiest to build a VC 3 (hard cabs easier to get, bodies not that hard) than to find an intact VC 1 or even a VC5 where the open cab is the hard part.

Gordon

Thanks in advance, Bob Stopka, MVPA # 3986, 850-624-6319
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )