Asking for advice...

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Chris Davis
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Asking for advice...

Post by Chris Davis »

I’ve been working on my WC-51 bedsides/boxes. I had them sandblasted and while they came back really clean, the processes revealed all the pinhole rust spots. Some sections had to be cut out altogether and patch panels made… I’ve had some welding practice!

Anyway, the bedsides are coming along and soon I’ll have to finish paint them and here’s my dilemma… I originally planned to paint the truck desert sand (in fact the cab already is painted sand) because A) I like the color, and B) I’m running oversize 11.00 x 16 tires and thought I could argue the N. Africa circa ’43 “sand tire” angle with the WWII purist.

Since deciding on the sand color, I had the unique opportunity to talk to the trucks original owner, or original civilian owner, Sam. This guy and his three brothers served in Europe in WWII and bought the WC51 surplus for their farm after they got home. Sam, the youngest got to Germany a little late for the actual shooting and served in the Army of Occupation. His three older bothers were all part of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, the all Japanese American force who volunteered from internment camps here in the US.

I was really impressed with he and his brother’s sacrifice and thanked him, but now I’m thinking it would be nice to mark the WC-51 as a 442nd vehicle as a small memorial. Problem is the 442nd wasn’t ever stationed in Africa and I’d need to change to the standard Olive Drab to be accurate. Plus there’s the little problem of me not being a Japanese American driving it… but I think most folks won’t make that connection.

Anyway… I’d have to repaint what I’ve done already, I’d have some unused sand paint sitting in the garage, I’d loose my “sand tire” angle, and my WC-51 would be Olive Drab like every other WC out there, but it seems that the chance to give a little honor back to these guys should outweigh those concerns.

Soliciting feedback…

Thanks,

Chris Davis
Centerville, UT
’45 WC-51

PS, link with a little more info about the Imoto brothers:
http://www.surplustrucks.com/WC51/FindingTheWC51.htm
Chris Davis
'45 WC-51
MVPA# 20000
Centerville, UT
http://www.surplustrucks.com/WC51/WC51Home.htm
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Nice idea Chris, my 51 is in the markings of force 135 the Liberation force for the channel Islands in 1945, again I don't know if a Dodge was used but it give a theme for the kit to collect so the vehicle is a mobile history of the Occupation. A friend who is a nurse has a collection of medical equipment in the back of her 54. It makes you very popular at events and is a lot more intresting to visitors than another green truck.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
GoranWC51
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
My garage: 1945 Dodge WC51 (Febr 12 1945)

1945 Bantam T3 or Willys MBT

Advice...

Post by GoranWC51 »

I would definately go for the OD paint and 442 markings. What a chance to honor these men! A nice change from all 82 AB / 101 AB! There must be more AB marked trucks now than during the war???

I plan to mark my WC51 as an ambulance vehicle of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force (BEF or FEB) in Italy 1944-1945. They didn't use the star but had their own markings on the hood and elsewhere. A broken ring with 5 stars inside. Check it out! Thay were trained by the 10th Mountain Div and fought in the allied 5th Army under General Clark.

Later
Goran
Goran Noren
Dodge WC51 1945
Built: 2/12/1945
Marked as an ambulance of the
Brazilian Expeditionary Force, Italy 1944-45
&
Willys MBT
ACM no 57482
Manufactured: July 1943

MVBros - Your need - our mission
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

There are some nice shots of a medical 51 in the original D-Day to Berlin films done by the american whose name I can never remeber, he used dodges as film trucks. I used these as a basis when I took mine to Normandy for the 60th anniversary in 2004. I also know an early one in belgium in French Forign legion markings, the vehicles really did go everywhere and do anything.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Chris Davis
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Thanks for the feedback guys...

Post by Chris Davis »

I posted this on the Powerwagon forum too and several folks suggested leaving it sand and marking it 442nd anyway. The number of people who know the 442nd never went to N. Africa would be pretty small... it's a tempting idea. I get to pay tribute to that unit AND keep my sand paint... only problem is I would know it's not correct and that would bug me.

That said, a smaller Japanese American unit, the 100th Infantry Battalion was created prior to the 442nd. They were stationed in Africa as part of the 34th Div. for a few months before moving on to Italy late in ‘43. The 100th became one of three Battalions in the 442nd when the 442nd arrived in Naples in mid ’44. So while it’s unlikely, I suppose via the 100th Bat. the 442nd could have been picked up a truck or two still sporting a desert sand paint job.

If I decide I can’t live with the discrepancy I can always shoot OD over it later right? (and that's probably exactly what will happen...)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Chris Davis
Chris Davis
'45 WC-51
MVPA# 20000
Centerville, UT
Czechsix
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by Czechsix »

Hi Chris - good to see it's going well.

I've got more-or-less of the same dilemma.

My father served as an RAF member during WW2, and I'd like to honor his memory and sacrifice by having this WC-52 done up, in some way. Like you, I'm thinking desert tan, due to my area, and the 11.00x16's. I was going to install a separate plate on the truck, with some information about my father. Make it removable and not alter the body, etc.

Then I see a Czech RAF movie, and lo and behold in the background on one of the airfields is a WC51. Standard OD, but RAF markings.

Great....now what do I do.

Then again, paint is a ways off - there'll be primer for quite a while to come.

I'd keep it sand, mark it as the unit you want to honor, and print up some three fold pamphlets to hand out, explaining a bit about the truck, the unit, and the men you want to recognize.

Greg
WC52
WC51
M35A2
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Chris:

There were many member's in the Nisai (sp), 442nd that were non Japanese. So you driving a vehicle with those markings is NOT an issue. The color is. But, it's up to you and your tastes. You could always say the sand color is just dirt. :wink:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Greg Alexander
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Greg Alexander »

This is just my personal opinion, but I would go with the OD paint and honor the 442nd.

I almost forgot to compliment you on the panels. Nice work.

Greg
Chris Davis
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Thanks Greg,

Post by Chris Davis »

For a novice welder, the panels have come out pretty good. Just time consuming to get everything fitted just so.

As for the OD, I like the sand color better, but I also like historically accurate things... so I am still very much of two minds. I suspect the final choice won't be made until I start mixing paint to spray color on these bedsides. :?

I do appreciate everyone's feedback though.

Chris
Chris Davis
'45 WC-51
MVPA# 20000
Centerville, UT
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Chris:

I have an easy solution to your problem, get a 2nd truck and have it both ways. :wink:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Bert
General
General
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC-51 "old bets"
1945 Dodge WC-62

Post by Bert »

Ugg wrote:Chris:
I have an easy solution to your problem, get a 2nd truck and have it both ways. :wink:
Later
I agree! The best option.
I have my WC-62 painted after some pictures I've recieved from a 2nd infantary Division veteran. The man was stonished when he saw his "own" truck on the reveiling of a monument in Belgium.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Chris Davis
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Of course...

Post by Chris Davis »

Ugg wrote:Chris:

Later
Why didn't I think of that sooner! :)

Actually, when I get this one done I hope to take a break from restoration rigors for a while. I've got a "household projects" list that just keeps growing, plus some long delayed daily driver maintenance that will keep me busy for a while.

Still, One way or another I'll have extra OD or Sand paint in the garage just crying out for another vehicle to be sprayed on. ;)

Chris
Chris Davis
'45 WC-51
MVPA# 20000
Centerville, UT