WC53 - Project Big Band Wagon

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: WC53 - Project Big Band Wagon

Post by Gordon_M »

Almost too nest to be a Carryall Alex. I bought a few Clecos too for when I eventually receipt the T-36 roof.

I remember you had a few Carryalls, or bits of them. This one you modified, and the four door - did you keep one original?
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Alxj64
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 1942 WC53

Post by Alxj64 »

Still tinkering with this thing.

Steering column, wheel, and custom horn button.

Replacement kick panel for the driver's side that also holds the master controls for the wiring harness assembly. Installing a simple CANbus system so that I can use any type of switch that I want and also will not need to install any external relays other than the glow plug power center for the Cummins.

And suedo matching passenger kick panel. Its not original, but its not far from era typical appearance.
'42 WC53
Alxj64
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Alxj64 »

Since the engine is diesel, and has massive tires and disc brakes, it needed a hydro boost system, which is heavy, so it also needed a support. Ohh, and a firewall.

'42 WC53
Alxj64
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Alxj64 »

There is a power center that goes under the hood. Its "new looking", plastic, and I didn't want that exposed. I am just going to run my main batteries in the side Radio box so I decided that since my front suspension towers intruded into the inner fender where the engine battery normally would be, I'd put my front relay power center there. Had to build a "shroud" for it. Will be more easily concealed once its painted/coated/and dirty from road and engine grime. Its all steel with steel solid rivets.

'42 WC53
Alxj64
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Alxj64 »

The hydroboost unit is powered by the power steering pump, which is driven off of the flywheel on my Diesel engine. Makes for an easy short hose series. That being the case, I needed a reservoir. Built from scratch using some 4" tubing, a metal spun cap, and then some machined brass cap parts and internals. Its not pretty but once again, painted it will hide well I hope.

For the main harness connection through the firewall, I have a set of large Amphenol 37 pin connectors. Because of the relay center kit I am using (CANBus) the wires will only see ground circuit, and a few isolated wires may see about 5 volts at a few micro amps.

'42 WC53
RiflemanD
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: '42 WC52

Post by RiflemanD »

Looks great so far!
Friendly fire, isn't.
Alxj64
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Alxj64 »

Still working on this... for those watching. And yes, I made all of the parts in my little single car detached garage. This is turning into quite the labor of love.
Replaced the radio filter box with a box to house my rear chassis CAN wiring powercell.

Built a custom glove box because the AC unit under the dash takes up a lot of room and I am mounting my fan control module inside of it.

And a space in the battery box for dual batts, an air compressor, and the primary fuse holder.

'42 WC53
RiflemanD
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: '42 WC52

Post by RiflemanD »

Glad to see you're still plugging away at this. Still love it, and I think you're doing great work! Keep it up!
Friendly fire, isn't.
Alxj64
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Alxj64 »

Today this truck turns 75 years old! Oct. 19th, 1942 was build date on my card.

Last night... I fired the fully electronic Common Rail Cummins ISB170 Turbo Diesel just 6 hours before it turned 75. Its alive! Won't be long 'till it is moving under its own power! Time to start plumbing the hydro-boost disc brakes and get some driveshafts in it.

Here is a video of the first start.

https://youtu.be/x6T4d-tG0dc

And a video of my wife starting it and it at idle after some of the air and old fuel was purged from the fuel rail. Engine hasn't run since 2005! This truck hasn't had a running engine in it since 2011.

https://youtu.be/sFW_f0BYGQQ
'42 WC53
Alxj64
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Alxj64 »

Well...

You can't say that I haven't been dedicated to this task since the beginning, despite all of the displeasure in my modifications, it didn't turn out too bad overall. Truck drives and rides fairly well but I am still debugging a few sloppy steering issues. I had it cruising along at 68 mph the other day. It stops very well with they hydroboost brakes and the wheel can be turned with one finger. From the outside looking in, the wheel combo is wrong... but the other "transgressions" are well hidden I believe.

'42 WC53
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

looks great. must be nice to get it up to speed. thats a ton of tire to keep stable. let us know what you do about steering
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Wow and wow, that is spectacular. I am in awe of your skills, I just love it!!

Cheers

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Alxj64
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Alxj64 »

Been driving it around, debugging some minor mechanical stuff. Had the transmission rebuilt so that its good to go for a long time hopefully.

It rides really nice actually, and cruises 60-65 mph with minimal effort; I topped it out at 82 mph the other day just "testing" things out. Still has a million rattles because it has minimal interior panels, etc.

'42 WC53
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

looks great! :thumbup:
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

OMG, that is AWESOME!
I cannot imagine the feeling of cruising at 60 MPH, let alone topping out at 80 :D

I just cant wait to get mine on the road!

Good job mate :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf