divingrocks
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
My garage: 1942 WC54 Project
1943 WC54 Donor

Re: WC53 - Project Big Band Wagon

Post by divingrocks »

Updates?
"Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base... The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood."
Alxj64
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 1942 WC53

Post by Alxj64 »

ehh... Been working hard at the day job lately so not much time to work on the truck. Still in the search of two more Michelin XMLs. Hard to find them in new condition.

Tailgate is at the media Blaster and getting E-coated... When that gets back I'll finish it up, sound deaden it, and close it up.

Got my wheels back from the machine shop. Had to have the hub centers opened up to fit over the larger hubs on the Dana 60 and Eaton compared to the original Hub-centric GM applications they were originally machined for.

Other than that, I have been cleaning out my shop, getting rid of all of the J**P stuff that I don't have a use for anymore now that I've graduated to big boy toys such as the Dodge trucks and am no longer building trail rigs for other people. Its amazing how other people can burn you out on something you enjoy, simply with their bickering, whining, and all around greedy nature.

Also I picked up a small bead roller that I am going to give a shot... I just need it to roll a few beads in the rear interior radius panels by the rear gate opening and then also going to use it for rolling the splice seams on the section of rear metal floor I have to replace. Thinking about waiting on the floor replacement though as the opening leaves me ample room to work with fitting in the future fuel tank that will have to be custom built... Dunno.

anyways... Tailgate getting taken to the media blaster.

'42 WC53
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Alxj64 wrote:ehh...Other than that, I have been cleaning out my shop, getting rid of all of the J**P stuff that I don't have a use for anymore now that I've graduated to big boy toys such as the Dodge trucks and am no longer building trail rigs for other people.
Man, you must have had a lot of extra J**p parts if you had to bring the dumpster in to get rid of 'em! :lol:
Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
Alxj64
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Alxj64 »

^ Man you have no idea... Not my roll-off but sure glad the neighbor had it there because I had a TON of stuff.

My life has been upside down with "other things" lately. Mostly work actually. I haven't done a lot, but do tinker some when I can and certainly think about it whenever I have free time. I have made a few decisions that may change the course of the truck but those are not here nor now things. I started to feel a touch overwhelmed with the sheet metal work and felt frustration and boredom setting in so I decided to move back to my forte of suspension and drivetrain.

However, I got my tailgate frame thing back from blast and epoxy coat and started to install the sound deadening. Using SecondSkin Audio stuff. So far I like it. Can really hear the difference from tapping on an uncoated panel segment and then tapping on a coated panel segment. Similar tick sound but much less reverb.

Threw the front axle housing under it and tossed a hub on just to get a feel for ride height and width. So far I am happy.

Pictures.

'42 WC53

Post by Guest »

The pics sure post nicer on the facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/471736926214022/
Alxj64
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Alxj64 »

Guest wrote:The pics sure post nicer on the facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/471736926214022/
You sure you want me bothering the legit resto guys with my poofter modifications? Things are about to get scary for some of the "by the numbers" guys as I am getting ready to move into the world of suspension and drivetrain.

Speaking of which... Rear axle was mocked up under the truck. Its an 8 lug Eaton H072 out of a '68 GMC 3/4 ton Jimmy/Blazer. Its not the original Dodge axles but to an untrained eye it certainly looks of an older vintage. I think it looks more appropriate under there than say a GM 14 bolt or Dana Spicer with a fully cast center section.
Hoping to get the front axle better attached under the truck tonight so that I can start messing around the engine and transmission so I can see whats going to be in the way. Might even throw the third and the cover on the front axle just for the sake of mockup clearances.

'42 WC53
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

SlyGareth wrote:I guess it'll just be a powerwagon of some sort when you are done with it...kinda sad considering carry-alls are somewhat rare. Perhaps you'd be better off with a power giant to resto-rod.
Oh, come on now Alex..... :) All us old guys on here have always been enthusiastic to see what you young whippersnappers can do. But you will run into guys like SlyGareth/Divinrocks/Guest (one and the same person) who make comments like the one above. He's nearly gone now. They are sheep in wolves clothing.

We/I love your work and thanks for sharing it with us here. :thumbup: :)
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
Alxj64
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Alxj64 »

Well, I am fairly certain I may hear some grumbling after posting these next few pictures. Not really sure why the pictures post so weird on this forum but they do... More people call this a Power Wagon than a WC when they see it so maybe I am turning it into one afterall. Whatever it is... here it is. Purists, you might as well leave this thread now because its probably not going to get any prettier when it comes to cutting a little here or moving this there. Keeping the body panels and body lines. No cutting up the hood or fenders, no shaving or chopping the roof or any of that. But there will be modifications to the chassis that some may not like... so here we go...

Unboxed my engine...

Put all 4 tires on the wheels and set the truck on the suspension. I like the stance. Yes, passenger's drop front diff.

'42 WC53
Alxj64
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Alxj64 »

Started to sling in the "new" engine. Its a 2001 Cummins 4 Cyl Common Rail... Computer Controlled "gasp" and bolted to it is an Allison 1000 electronic 5 speed auto. The engine was made in the UK, but meets the '01 Cali Emisisons, pre EGR, if that matters to anyone. The transmisison is American made, and the tires are made in Canada. The wheels, sadly are made by an American company but the initial forgings were done overseas and then shipped back stateside for finish machine work. Don't know why any of that matters but it matters to me some as I'd like to minimize "jap crap" on this truck.

Drivetrain weight when wet... 1,140 lbs

There is a slight fitment issue with the front crossmember and only a few inches of the firewall. The reason the current firewall looks funny is the previous owner built a second false firewall and between the false and stock is an inch or so of sound deadening and heat insulation material. I may have to remove or modify a good bit of that.

Its the "rear" geartrain thats causing the fitment issues.

'42 WC53
Ian Jamieson
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ian Jamieson »

Only 1 word..... Awesome!

I can't wait to see the beast all together!

Keep up the good work.

Ian
1942 WC57 Command Car
1942 WC-53 Carry-All
1941 Willys MB
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,Day Ian . Don,t you go down that road . Use the Kiss principle { Keep it simple stupid } I think at my age i could not be bothered going down the road off putting another engine in . Maybe when i am dead and buried some one will re engine my wc53 . But until then ,the T214 stay,s How about a couple more pic,s . Hope you have a good time at your local MV event next weekend . Ray
Ian Jamieson
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ian Jamieson »

G'day Ray,
I can assure you the T214 is staying in mine, I didn't spend a small fortune rebuilding the engine just to repower it :wink:

June and I are not doing the National Rally this year, we going to the War Birds show in the South Island and catching up with our son and his family while were there.

I hope to have the engine finished and painted soon so will take a bunch of pix and post after Easter.

Cheers mate

Ian
1942 WC57 Command Car
1942 WC-53 Carry-All
1941 Willys MB
Alxj64
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Alxj64 »

^ Thanks for the kind words Ian. And nor can I wait to get this machine all together and out on the road. My wife is steady plugging along at the '68 Airstream trailer that is going to be towed behind this thing to all of the various parks, campgrounds, and many many vehicle shows. I have a by the numbers restored Mustang in the garage that I think would be pretty neat in tow on a car trailer behind this truck as well. Something for the MV crowd, and something for the cliche Mustang crowd.

As for the repowering and KISS theory... To each their own. I have the ability, knowledge, and desire to make this swap. I also have the engineering and fabrication skills to enhance all of the systems involved with the changes. I've actually recieved some rather distasteful and hateful messages just recently. I am about over it. I think you guys win... but only in the sense of you won't have to be looking at it. If you want to follow what I am up to you may have to watch the sporatic posts on the facebook group or on other forums. If you really are interested, finding this build won't be difficult with a simple internet search.

Otherwise, for being such a large group of MV supporters, there really are some closed minded and spiteful individuals that are so set in their ways that its really sad. Your truck, squirelled away in your garage is being enjoyed by who? Yourself? The 10 other guys that show up and stare at it. If thats what makes you happy, so be it. I, on the other hand, am modifying the truck to keep it up with modern times. The ones that stay original are still great, nothing wrong there.. but being spiteful for the sake of one less original truck, nevermind it still being out there and not turned into parts, or cut or chopped up... please step back and rethink your emotions for a second and realize that even you yourself, are not the same thing that you were when you were created. In order for something to survive as long as possible, it must change and grow, otherwise it gets left behind. Obviously many of you spend a deal of time on the computer, that in itself is a growth, a change, and an admittance to the way of modern life. Its a truck, its a machine, its a piece of metal... but its what it represents to the eye of the beholder that gives it that meaning. Everyone has a deal of emotions tied to these vehicles, and I understand that. Its hard to see my vision through your eyes and I understand that as well but just because you can't see something... doesn't mean its all that bad. You don't curse the dark just before dawn do you? You have no control of what you end up seeing when the light arrives so why must you curse at me because you can't see over the hill of your own emotional blindness?

So, I've tried twice now to convey to people that yelling at me won't save the truck from my "destruction". Burn me once, shame on you... burn me again... and I'm out of here. Ohh, and I must mention this, that Slygareth/Diving rocks and I are actually on pleasant terms. He may not like what I am doing, but it appears as though he may understand my intentions are not to destroy, but to in a weird way, evolve this truck. Keep with the times, or be left behind. If behind is where you are comfortable, so be it... However, this truck won't be left behind in a garage collecting dust; it will be driven, enjoyed, and seen by thousands every day. Sorry bout your luck, but I can't blame you for trying I guess. No wait... Yes I can.
'42 WC53
tjmilitary
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: m38a1, m37, m43, m211 m1009, m35a2, m818, wc52, m100, m101, m116

Post by tjmilitary »

Hang in there! Don't run from the comments of a few narrow minded people. Would be a shame not to see your posts on future progress. But, if that's your choice, I hope to see your truck some day out on the road with you enjoying it.Tom
Ian Jamieson
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ian Jamieson »

Alx,
I hear where your coming from, yes the world if full of bigots, nay sayers and self righteous prats. My Jeep & Command Car are reasonably original but I have things like floor mats to keep noise down, electric wipers so I can see and free wheeling hubs etc. I did consider repowering the Carry-All with a diesel & 5 speed but here in NZ the hoops you have to jump through to get it approved for road use are just too much.

The Jeep markings are just some I dreamed up to represent my late fathers regiment, and like you I have done both vehicles for me and my family, and we get them out to all sorts of shows, including hot rod outings :thumbup:

I too will be very disappointed if you choose to leave the forum, but can fully understand why you would.

I think you have offered some heartfelt words of wisdom in your post above, hopefully some of the less tolerant amongst us will take heed, but I doubt it and thus this forum and its members will be the poorer for it.

Hate mail is certainly hurtful, I have had my share in the past, but I take solace in knowing that the sender of the mail is the one with the problem, not the receiver.

Stay positive, and when you have finished the beast, please come back and post some pictures.

Cheers

Ian
1942 WC57 Command Car
1942 WC-53 Carry-All
1941 Willys MB