THE FAST 4X4

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

THE FAST 4X4

Post by RANGER »

Notice the absence of 4X4 Chev owners looking for speed and overdrive. Did anyone ever succeed.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Yes

Post by Gordon_M »

My K-43 was stock apart from two modifications. The back body had sides and front altered - functional but ugly, and someone had fitted a 270.

The combination of a relatively small truck, original Chevrolet four speed, and GMC 270 was a pleasure to drive and used to leave everything else in its wake. No extra rear axle, no pillow block, no heavy overdrive transmission :thumbup:
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
GoranWC51
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
My garage: 1945 Dodge WC51 (Febr 12 1945)

1945 Bantam T3 or Willys MBT

Re: THE FAST 4X4

Post by GoranWC51 »

Why ruin a nice, stock, military 4x4 with Big Engines, auto tranny (yes, they're too lazy to double clutch), overdrive, Monster Mudders and what-have-you?

Plenty of modern 4x4's out there to Bubbaize the s**t out of....

Goran N
Goran Noren
Dodge WC51 1945
Built: 2/12/1945
Marked as an ambulance of the
Brazilian Expeditionary Force, Italy 1944-45
&
Willys MBT
ACM no 57482
Manufactured: July 1943

MVBros - Your need - our mission
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The topis has kinda faded for the past couple of years, and little is ever heard from those who had the "better idea".
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

I guess it all depends how much one wants to "Bubbaize" a vehicle to suit his or her needs and wants. I know this is a Chevy & GMC site, but hey, I guess this topic is fair game for all the different makes of military trucks. I own a 41 WC-12 (Salad). I have gone to 900-16 NDT's, 8&3/4" 4.30 3rd members(soon to be 4.10's) and will be installing a 25" Chrysler IND-7 motor in it soon. I can now cruise at around 60 MPH turning 2400 RPM's or so. The 4.30 and 4.10 3rd members are 4 pinion geared units which are a "Drop In" modification; no cutting, welding or "Bubbaizing" of the Differential carrier or axle housing needed. It's a totally "Clean " upgrade. They are also stronger than the original 2 pinion geared types. I will also be attempting to install an early (1952) New Process 420 transmission in the truck. Should bolt right up to the original bellhousing; just need to make a new wood floorboard, and the Brake/ TC levers will be moved 1&1/4 " to the right and forward of where they are now. I have bought a spare lower toeboard which I will have to notch out a bit when I install the 420 in the bellhousing. The 420 will be quieter (Helical) cut gears and is synchromesh in 3rd and 4th. Whatever I have done to the truck to modify or upgrade it, it has not been "Bubbaized" at all. I can always return it to it's original state with no welding, cutting etc needed. I also have bought a spare "Floating Power" front engine mount to use for the 25" engine upgrade. As they say "To each his own". If you want to have a look at my truck, go to the Dodge section of this forum, look up the thread "Defroster motor and parts from SMI. :D
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

What happens on the Chevy is that impatient owners want a truck that goes from A to B at speeds compatible with modern traffic. The trucks were a balance of power, gearing and suspension to do the job the Army had them designed for. To make them go faster is dangerous as they are not safe at speeds over what they were designed for.
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

As Dozerman says,'to each his own'. I wouldn't hesitate to put a five speed OD box from a CCKW into a 4x4 Chev and the 270 engine at the same time as with the OD the 235 is a bit lacking. In fact, I believe the Chev is begging for this simple upgrade that uses period components and can easily be reversed. The steering and brakes are well up to the task.

The quest for speed is not simply a matter of trying to get there quicker, it is also very much a safety issue. Slow moving vehicles are always in danger of being rear ended and this danger is increasing as roads become ever more crowded and drivers become ever more stupid and aggressive.

This topic recently got some coverage on the MLU Forum. It may be worth a look. It's under 'Softskin' and was asked in relation to a C8AX.

David
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Just remember, these do not handle well or stop well during high speed panic stops, they are not made for that type of driving. Should anyone get into a serious accident with injury and property damage, the mods may get the driver into a lot of hot water with the insurance carrier, just the detail of the 5 Speed shifting cover in relation to the accelerator and brake pedal is enough to be a red flag.