Hood - national flag

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Mark GB
Corporal
Corporal

Hood - national flag

Post by Mark GB »

I was wondering, before stars there was the national flag (US) on the hood sides of vehicles. I've seen old pics from operation torch in North Africa. I ponder two things:

I've never seen a restored vehicle with the national flag - plenty of starts (usually the bigger the better) - why not?

When the national flag was applied originally, how was it done stencil, sign written, decal? (water lift 1940's), and was it put over the hood Reg. No?

Any ideas?
Drove it, used it, broke it, fixed it, sold it - looking for another
rgus
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1942 CCKW 129,XXX
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"
1943 WC63 82009972 "BIG MO"
1944 CHECKER 1 TON TRAILER

Post by rgus »

Before stars a lot of equipment , ( all the way back to George Washington's time), was just marked with US. The pictures I have seen with the flags draped on the vehicles were used as an air marker so friendly fighters and bombers wouldn't atteck their own troops.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Check your MVPA Index, this topic was discussed in some of the early issues in the 70s.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it

Thanks fro the reply guys

Post by Guest »

Unfortunately I don't have any MVPA information (I'm in the UK and in the 70's was only interested in Lego and Meccano).

The pictures and information I have shows the flag on either side of the hood - used before stars were? Thinking of doing something on my 1/2 ton but want to get it right.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Mark:

As far as I can tell (without looking it up) the only US vehicles I've ever seen pictures of with flags om em was in North Africa. Then some of those made it over to Italy.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"