1/2 ton transverse seats

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: 1/2 ton transverse seats

Post by Gordon_M »

I think it is four per side. Not sure if one isn't showing up or it is in the cutoff section of the image.

Not my bed, just a photo I had on file from Buzz Mueller.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
EJOWest
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by EJOWest »

I just put a new subframe and bed kit from Midwest Military on my WC21. Every went together great! There are three bolts on each side which bolt the bed to the frame.
Ernie
ImageImage
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

OK then, three each side, six in total.

I think my 120" wheelbase pickup has eight, though;

Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

Hello Gordon and Ernie,
Thanks for the info. I thought there was only 3 on each side. That's the way I set up my holes and bed wood on my WC-12 years ago. I just wasn't certain since there is a hole drilled through each frame rail just in front of the 3rd cross wood piece from the rear of the box. I used a 1953 low side box out of a 1/2 ton civi truck. Cut out the fuel filler hole on the side, added the OEM hooks, and added the center bow pocket. Welded up the civi fender holes, installed Military WC fenders and the proper runningboards . The only telltale difference from the military box is the larger hinges for the tail gate. I also Installed a 39-47 Tailgate with the "Dodge" script to the box. The lettering matches the ones on the hood to a Tee. Also wanted people to know what make of truck was in front of them. LOL. 4.30 Differentials and 900-16NDT's really allow the truck to cruise down the road at 55-60MPH's. Alot easier on the old 230. Thanks for the pic's and Info. :D
Joe Giraud
EJOWest
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by EJOWest »

This is the only photo i can find with any closeup of the transverse seat. Under the gunner I can see where the two boards that make up the cross board are bolted together with carriage bolts. It almost looks like the two boards that make the cross seat are notched on the ends where they meet. Maybe as a hand hold to pull up the seat or access to work the latch mechanism.
Ernie
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

In the 'Gunners' photo there seems to be a piece of timber passing over the end of the seat near the fellows ankle. Is it possible that this length of timber carried through over the seat cut-outs on this side and in effect created a socket for the L/H end of the seats to fit into.
This would be a simple and effective way to secure this end of the seats and it would then only require a latch of some kind on the other end.
That's my 2 cents worth and at the current exchange rate it's pretty much the same value as 2 cents US.
David
brian
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by brian »

nice pic havent seen that one before.
the hardware list is in the master parts manual.
there is that famous picture of the 37mm antitank gun
sitting on a fliped over seat.
unfortunatly its just far enough away you cant see the latches.
and no theres not a board over the top.
BB
if you cant afford the manual, you cant afford the truck!
wc-4
pierino
Private
My garage: 1941 Ford GP
1942 Ford GTB, matching #'s
1943 Huffman model 81
1943 R.I.A. Hand Cart M3A4
1943 Willys MB
1943 Highway Trailer K-38
1944 Ford GPW, matching #'s
1944 Cushman 39G
1944 Harley WLA
1944 Converto Dump 1/2 Ton
1944 VW TYP166 Schwimmwagen
1960 Willys MB-T
1943 Stinson L-5 *SOLD*

Post by pierino »

Gordon_M wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:57 pm Well Ernie, I reckon I could make a full set of transverse seats from this one image;

You can see the sizes, fittings, bevels, slots underneath each plank for the retainer, pretty much all you need except details of the retainer clip.

I remember being told that the side pieces were 1" thick - not sure of the cross-pieces. Anyone have exact dimensions?
Forgive me if I go back with this old post... but I'm now starting to go deeper in "Dodge" facts... with my WC-21 on the way...

talking about "transverse seats"... anyone that could recover the pictures lost in this old post?

thank you!
maurizio

p.s. also pics of your trucks would be appreciated!