Tire Safety Warning

abn deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tire Safety Warning

Post by abn deuce »

I found this video through a tractor forum site and felt it important I post it to all my groups that deal with wheeled vehicles.

This video produced by Bridgestone Tire on youtube shows what can happen if you apply heat to a tire wheel assembly , how dangerous it is and can lead to the tire exploding , watch the entire video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBUVzgCHHuA
1945 GMC CCKW353h-1 488*** Air portable with winch and dump body
19** wooden Ben Hur (rebuilt) 2-15-1958
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: Tire Safety Warning

Post by RANGER »

And there are a few departed MVCC members who have made fatal errors, during welding, inflation and dismounting. There will be more as long as there are collectors who ignore the safety tips in the manuals and TM's.
The list of subscribers to these fatal errors gets longer with time and includes guests of this site. Sometimes there is feedback from friends of the departed, other times they just drop off the site never to be heard of again.
Danger is always lurking, there is no first aid for a wheel explosion, they are final.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
abn deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by abn deuce »

Yes , thats all too true . As soon as I saw this video I felt I HAD to post it and can Only Hope I will save someone from making the same mistake that these other people made . In the two additional cases shown, They thought they were safe which makes it even more tragic . If they KNEW the truth they would still be alive .In the finial case its mentioned the tire didnt fail until 22 hours after it was exposed to its heat source!!!!!!!!
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

Watch the dummies fly towards the end of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zJFG0uMr-g&NR=1

Heating rusted lug nuts is also dangerous practice.
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
abn deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by abn deuce »

that's a very good demo of the forces that these failures can inflict, thanks for the link.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

And there are still some founding fathers who insist in 90PSI in old CCKW tires.
Might be a good idea to solicit comments from TM9-801 Site. TM9-801 is the best CCKW site anywhere. The site is well organized and maintains a good balance between fact and fiction and has done extensive research on tire safety.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
42 Chevy
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by 42 Chevy »

Ranger;
check your medication, I think you might be a little light headed...........

John g
1940 G-506 1 1/2 ton cargo dump, delivered 12-27-40
1942 Diamond T 969A, delivered 08-27-42
1944 Clark Airborne dozer
Using VOV and Joel Gopan for the parts, PM by the TM is the only way to go....
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.:wink:
This hobby appears to include the entire range of the human spectrum, why not encourage a bit of support to give it a level playing field. :thumbup: Who better than TM9-801.com to carry the CCKW tradition into the 21st century and outer space if necessary.
Thundercat97
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Thundercat97 »

I watched a show this past weekend where a truck driver was trying to beat his fellow driver (his brother) in the number of loads they moved in one day. He got a flat and tried to fix a flat on his own without the proper equipment. He said he will never do it again since he was lucky and could talk about it after his two broken arms and broken jaw mended. I always use a cage to change my split rims... too many old timers have told me stories and showed me the light.
41 WLA Project Bike
42 CCKW 353
42 57mm Anti-Tank Gun
43 WC51
43 Diamond T M3 Half-Track
1 Ton Ben Hur Trailer