Dodges landing Normandy

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Yes butwho the hell was the Yank film director that did the colour shots? I'd love to seethat lot in full. He did actually use a couple of 51s and I think a 52 as camera wagons. :?:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ernie Baals

color film

Post by Ernie Baals »

Hi Tony
I believe the guy you are looking for is George Stevens.
He was a famous producer that shot many films, including the Good Earth.
The color films were his personal homw movies.
The history channel runs some of his stuff every now and then.
I don't know if you cna get the while films or not. I guess you could try to Google his name.
Ernie
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Thanks George, I can never remeber it, down to age I think. We do have a couple of people in UK who have there Jeeps painted up like his. I will try the search and see if the film is available. I know there is one shot of a WC51 being used as an ambulance, that is the one I want to get a proper look at. :P
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

George Stevens

Post by Ray Edsall »

There is a DVD Titled D- Day to Berlin .It is the film that George Stevens took in Englnd and Europe as an official photographer for the US Army It is available on Warner home video. Good B&W and colour film .They have lots of other warry film,s also .Hope this help,s Ray , PS just kidding Ugg .
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hey Ray:

:cry: You hurt my poor itty bitty feelings.... No wait, it was just gas. :lol: Your up late, get to bed ya old man you. Alone. :wink:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
pHIL2

Post by pHIL2 »

I don't know how true it is but I once read that on open cabWC's the reason the left hand locker was shortened was so that you could exit behind the spare wheel when WC's were used in the UK. When the vehicle stopped at the side of the road US drivers jumped out of the cab and into the line of passing traffic having forgotten where they where. Familiarity etc. The mod allowed the driver to exit onto the footpath. In France some British trucks had 'DRIVE ON THE RIGHT' stencilled on the windscreen in front of the driver (at low level) and on the inside of the cab door as a reminder. I am suprised that someone in the War Office didn't suggest always driving in the middle of the road as a compromise between UK and US forces. They came up with dafter ideas!
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Food for thought. There does not appear to be anything done on the other types of MVs to encourage passengers to egress from the drivers side, the gear shift levers could be a problem.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Not if your in the Greek army. :twisted:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Have you lot SEEN British WW2 military vehicles :?: :o The passenger has about 1 sq ft with an autovac intruding into it. a bare ass bit of canvas and a leacky hole over there head. Thats why you see most passengers standing up, emergency exit is normally out the 'ole over the bonnet. WHY do you think I drive a dodge! :x

P.S. Unless your driving a Morris MK 1 Quad then as driver you have to clamber over the engine cover to sit down, the side view is a 2inch wide slit and the battery sits on your right shoulder. Remember the throttle pedal is the middle one, can get very exciting in traffic.