Australian Airborne CCKW

MrRoo
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Australian Airborne CCKW

Post by MrRoo »

Found another photo from the AWM showing an Aussie Airbourne GMC this time fitted with a crane in use with the RAAF on Borneo in 1945

Cheers
Cliff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

Still waiting on that file from the archives but here are some photographs of where it is at now - may not seem much but 1000 % better than before - most mechanical parts are NOS going into it such as that radiator and gearbox etc. Will have to excavate to find the before pictures - stay tuned.

I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
MrRoo
Corporal
Corporal

Post by MrRoo »

Thanks for the update on the GMC especially the photo showing the chassis splice.

On another note just realised the GMC with the crane has an open top Aussie Airborne cab but the rear deck is full length without the fuel tank behind the cab. I wonder if the deck and fuel tank location were also modified when the crane was added? I would also assume that this was done "in field" by the RAAF workshops.

Cheers
Cliff :D
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

File from Archives can be read here:

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/record ... index.aspx

Go to Record Search as guest using Reference Number search box: 552/2/24088

Doesn't seem to be any way of keeping a direct link working - typical.

Not much of interest really except that possibly only 144 were built and not delivered until April 1945 - loading equipment was rationed between 5 trucks and even the loading dolly had to be shared between two trucks.
MrRoo
Corporal
Corporal

Post by MrRoo »

Thanks Robbo that was one piece of info I did not have. I have attached a copy of an email I received from Mike Cecil at the AWM regarding the Aussie Airbourne GMC's. I wonder if it would be worth asking the South Australian Library for more info or by arranging to visit and look through the records they have?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
abn deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by abn deuce »

I have a few photo's of the CCKW353 air portable that is in the overloon museum that you might get some details from , as to the caster and the reinforcements . I d thought someone else would have posted these or better earlier . This vertical splice or fishplate is the same as on mine and the other Airportables that I have seen .

1945 GMC CCKW353h-1 488*** Air portable with winch and dump body
19** wooden Ben Hur (rebuilt) 2-15-1958
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

Thanks for those photographs - the ones converted in the USA used different chassis jointing plates to these ones done in the South Pacific Area as well as different cabs etc.

The owner of this project just collected a set of front sheetmetal for this from my pile of parts and it is off to the sandblasters.

He also has sourced a replacement set of engine rear mounting brackets to attach to the chassis in place of the torched originals and the engine is now assembled with the shallow oil pan setup.

He is working on building up a NOS set of civilian style instruments - I supplied most of them but he may be looking for a NOS fuel gauge for the cluster.

Once it is built up a bit more, I will post some more photographs
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I have been watching this with interest. :thumbup:
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Indeed, more images would be appreciated as and when.

I'll be that little dolly for the back wheel on the front section is rare - I wonder if they just made one up?
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The Air Portable Dolley has the signature look of Weaver Manufacturing which made the M1 Bomblift which has an identical looking front wheel and fork assy.
Weaver burned down 30 years ago.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
MrRoo
Corporal
Corporal

Post by MrRoo »

here is a scanned copy of a photo showing the dolly used with the Australian Airbourne GMC conversions. As you can see it has a 'Tee' handle fitted but apart from this scan I have no other data on it at all.

Cheers
Cliff