WELL I'VE DONE IT

samason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

WELL I'VE DONE IT

Post by samason »

I have bought my first CCKW. Its a long wheel base open cab. Im not sure of the year. It does have some interesting features about it . I has DUKW wheels and tires it also has a data plate located on the passenger side kick panel the says US NAVY DEPT. AMPHIBIOUS VEHICLE. The truck still maintains all or most of its original US pieces /parts unlike the trucks that have been returned from Europe, including the original wiring harness.
The story on the truck is that it was issued to the Navy to patrol the beaches on the east coast looking for signs of submarines. Who knows could be a bunch of hoey but it sounds good.

Steve A
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: WELL I'VE DONE IT

Post by Vista52 »

Congratulations Steve,

Sounds really interesting and what a great story! :D :thumbup:

We hope for a whole bunch of photos of your new acquisition in the near future :)
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
Nick Bombini
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Nick Bombini »

I don't know about patrolling the beaches for Uboats, but Chris T here on the west coast has a truck that sounds like what you have. It was made for the Navy with the DUKW wheels, but has a huge shop body on the back. It is an amphibious repair truck for repairing landing craft on the beach.

He posts on http://www.cckw.org. You might be able to get him to post a few pics. I'll see what I have in the way of pics.

If your truck is one of those, you have one of something like 80 built, so it is quite rare.

--Nick
Nick Bombini
---
'42 M7A1 Generator
'42 M7 Generator trailer
'43 CCKW 352 A2
'45 USMC mobile repair shop trailer
'45 GPW
Nick Bombini
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Nick Bombini »

Just pulled this pic of Chris' truck from cckw.org

It was bring used as a stage at Eagle Field (http://www.eaglefield.net) in the pic.

--Nick
Nick Bombini
---
'42 M7A1 Generator
'42 M7 Generator trailer
'43 CCKW 352 A2
'45 USMC mobile repair shop trailer
'45 GPW
samason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by samason »

Thanks Nick. That makes good sence. Cool pic too.