Engine Oiling

Untergruppenfuher
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Engine Oiling

Post by Untergruppenfuher »

I have read that the 235 employs something called splash lubrication rather than the high pressure lubrication in more modern engines. I am not exactly sure what this means. It sounds like there is some minimal oil pressure, 20PSI, but the engine relies of movement of the vehicle to throw the oild around where it needs to go? That sounds kine of silly so I must have it wrong. However this system works does it help to back of the throttle every so often to allow lube oil to move?

If anyone can clarify this I will appreciate it. Sorry if this seems like a really dumb question but I have not had a lot of experience with 235s.
Bud Wheel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Engine Oiling

Post by Bud Wheel »

The Military 235 is really a civi 216 ( with a larger bore period)
The oil pump sprays oil up into the crank and rod journal area thru an elaborate sytem of of tubes and channels.( the term splash oiled )
The end of the connecting rods have small tin scoops that dip into the "channels" and furthur lubricate the rod bearings ( babbit in this case )
The engines usually carry only 20 lbs oil pressure at speed ,less at idle, and even less when using the military type "bypass oil filter"
The 1954 and later 235 with pressure oil system is a COMPLETLY different engine on the inside with no parts interchanging.
Driving it around to lubricate the engine is BS :lol:

There is a special set of assembly tools required to correctly set the position oil the "oilers" in this type of engine.
As well as a good understanding of the requirements of Bibbitted bearings ( expensive due to the labor involved in doing it right :wink: )
A correctly rebuilt "splash oiled" engine will provide years of dependable service

Egge Machine on the west coast is capable of converting "babbitt " type rods to insert type bearings as well as finishing the required bearings, they will even make your new pistons and thrust bearing :)

I have a rebuilt original 235 ( BV block casting ) completed since 01 with no issues whatsoever

Cheers
Bud
A small collection of period correct HMVs
Untergruppenfuher
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Re: Engine Oiling

Post by Untergruppenfuher »

Bud,
Thanks for the detailed reply. I had heard or read something about "babbits" but never knew what exactly. The engine in my truck was rebuilt by an engine rebuilder in Albuquerque, NM many years ago. I have the plate they attached to the block. Whether they converted the rod bearings/bushings I cannot say. I do know they punched it out .060 original bore. I am guessing this included new pistons. The engine seems strong. I have never done a trickle down or compression test. At my altitude (7,800 to 9,000 feet) the engine does not produce as much power as I would like but can live with it until something serious happens.

Thanks again for the information.