Engine Noise

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Mark GB
Corporal
Corporal

Engine Noise

Post by Mark GB »

Just noticed a noise. I get a metalic Knock when the engine comes down to idle quickly from mid engine revs, about 3 or 4 times, there hot and cold. Then at idle very quiet, with just a very light flutter noise. Tried the old long screw driver listening trick and cannot hear anything knocking. Any ideas, rod bearing (but would that be there all of the time?), wrist pins, main bearings. valve train?

Any idea grealty appreciated, don't want to start stripping down again................ :(
Drove it, used it, broke it, fixed it, sold it - looking for another
Ernie Baals

Post by Ernie Baals »

Hi Mark
Hate to say it, but it sounds like a rod bearing.
Disconect one plug wire at a time. If it is a rod it won't make any noise when that cylinder is not firing.
How is your oil pressure? and does the noise get louder when then engine is warm?
good luck Ernie
Mark GB
Corporal
Corporal

Thanks Erine

Post by Mark GB »

Noise still there - could not eliminate by taking plug lead off. Got the sump off today, removed all rod bearings and checked the mains - all seemed ok. Fitted another set of rod bearing anyway, But still got the noise? this is going to take some finding....................
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Taking a real flyer, how are the drive gears on the oil and fuel pump?, or the water pump or generator. these are all rev dependent and could echo through the motor. Whats the magnetic end of the sump plug like any bits? I would also look at engine mounts I've known similar with them. GOOD LUCK :!:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Mark GB
Corporal
Corporal

Thanks I'll check 'em

Post by Mark GB »

New oil pump and front mount. Might try fitting the old pump back. No metal bits on sump plug
Kaegi

knock

Post by Kaegi »

this may sound dumb but. have you spilled any anti freeze on your fan belt recently? Anti freeze on fan belts can make HORRIBLE sounds. NOt squealing but massive knocking sounds. I actually started pulling an engine oce before we figured out that was our problem.
Mark GB
Corporal
Corporal

I'll check the belt

Post by Mark GB »

Anything is woth a try

Thanks Mark