WTION

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

WTION

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: WHERE TO START ON A CCKW RESTORATION

Post by pfarber »

If is not broke, then it does not need fix'n.

If all it needs is paint, then paint it.

If your axle seals are not leaking, why replace them? There are very few parts that are replaced at set intervals (other than fluids).

If you use the TM and follow the Inspection and Adjustment sections and they pass, then move along.

I really like the TM10s as they are more 'book form' and easier to read than the A4 style TM9s. The pictures are bigger and clearer.

I really like Portrayal Press, but some of the TMs they sell are just plain bad wrt illustrations and pictures. Most TMs on CD are just as bad. Military Media's jeep disk is so atrocious I stopped using it once I found a hardcopy version.
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tim in TN
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by Tim in TN »

You never know what behind those brake drums into you remove them. brake are the number one thing to get right, right off the bat. If you can't stop it the you are a liability to everone in the hobby. As always Ranger has it right.
Tim in TN
1942 CCKW 353
1942 Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
1970 M35A2
1968 M35A2
2- M105A2 trailers
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

I really don't agree with taking things apart that are not broke. If your seals are not leaking, you feel safer taking out a perfectly good seal, to replace it with another perfectly good seal?

When was the last time you replaced your steel brake lines? DOT3 will rust the lines... so every 24 months you throw out your lines? To feel good?

What about your brake linings? The wear with every application. Do you wear them down till they are out of spec or replace them willy nilly to 'feel safe'?

Even by the oft quoted TMs, FEW wear items are replaced at set intervals. The are inspected, and if serviceable, serviced and left alone.

Show me in the TM where it says "inspect part, if serviceable, replace part". :roll:
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: WION

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Are you reading every third word or what?

If the TM says inspect and pack bearings, then you inspect, if serviceable repack and reinstall. How does using perfectly good bearing burn them up and break you down?

I drive my CCKW often. I've 'broken down' once becuase my carb still had the inlet fuel filter that clogged. Once in 4 years. And none of the TMs say anything about it (you told me that the said filter was deleted becuase it did clog).

My truck has seen ACTIVE use since being let out of the Army. I can trace its life to Boeing Field in WA. It sat for maybe 5 years till I got it.... and when it comes time to take off the 4 layers of paint and service all the parts I will inspect each one, if serviceable its going right back in. I've read that wheel bearings and races are close to $100 per hub. If not throwing away 12 good bearing save me money and work fine how is that poor maintenance practices?

A good bearing is a good bearing. A seal that seals is a good seal. How not throwing away serviceable part going to make me break down??
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

A
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
drbob1961
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by drbob1961 »

I have invested way too much in this hobby than to have a mishap. Its analogous to my medical practice- good diagnostics save lives! All I can say is good PMCS before every journey will always save the day!
The Dodge Boys
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by The Dodge Boys »

ALL you have to do is give a quick paint job and your done. Ive seen lots of trucks like that. For sale, truck is restored. Then you get there. Good Luck. Bill. :)
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

With VERY FEW EXCEPTIONS none of the PMs will prevent a catastrauphic failure. NONE of the PMs say anything about seals other than look to see if they are leaking. Your BRAND NEW neoprene seal can fail just a easily as the seal thats been in place for years.

And NOTHING you can PM will prevent mechanical failure such as metal failure (snapping a rod, rounding a cam, spinning a bearing). All it takes is a piece of foerign material and you are done.

I've been trained on airplane engines, air and water cooled, with VERY SPECIFIC inspection and time limited components. You know what... even THOSE engines broke, operated out of spec and generally have issues.

If you think that you have magically figured out the secret of engine longevity is it to throw away perfectly good parts... I think the only people who will agree with you are the parts guys who sell the parts you are throwing away.