XX

pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: NO NEED FOR EXTRA FUEL FILTERS

Post by pfarber »

RANGER wrote:
pfarber wrote:Hmmm... just about every one of your 'reputable dealers' has sold me things that were claimed to be correct, yet here I am saying they are not (hindsight is 20/10 :P )

Even if someone handed me a sealed in cosmoline said to be original gizmo they need to open it and prove it before I pay for it.

So, Mr. Reputable dealer of NOS parts... what does a T-2 Filter look like?

This is the point of no return. You can either help the unwashed masses and let us see, for the record, an NOS T-2 filter element.....

Or, we can await an for a moderately pithy comment.

I mean of all the posts you make, THOUSANDS of them... you once never said 'here is what I am talking about'. I have a digital camera I will GIVE YOU FOR FREE, to take pictures with.. 64Mb storage card, batteries... point and click. Just mail back the storage card and I will do the rest.

This is where the jeep and dodge guy have us beat. They will fight each other to be the first to post what the gizmo should like like, painted and installed.

Here in CCKW land we have nothing of the sort. Its sad. The CCKW is a great truck. But our community if full of Rangers.
The above comments are good reason for a dealer to not offer parts to some customers, the hassle just ain't worth it. Genuine NOS WWII parts are getting to be short supply items after an unheard of 70 year availability. It is time to grab them up and install them before hindsight prevails. Dealers who can assist the customer in installing them are priceless, many extend their valued customers appreciation by loaning special tools to complete the job or make personal calls to answer installation questions.
I do not know of any dishonest military parts dealers, and I have done business with many over the decades.

And one reason why I have not asked you to sell me any parts. You are way to wily. Your cast iron carbs are post war and you pass them as NOS CCKW carbs. That's a shady parsing of words.

For the amount of money in question for these parts you will not even post a picture when asked. Trust is earned, my friend. Its is not simply given away because of your post count on the internet.

I'm sure you do have some rare parts. Thats great.. I hope you get them into someones truck one day. My truck or not.. I will not lose any sleep over the fact that you feel I am not worthy of your time.

I will say that I am disappointed in your attitude towards collectors. As many have pointed out... you are quick to belittle others, yet seem to offer nothing of your own accomplishments.

When will your CCKW be at a rally or event? I would gladly drive from PA to see the 'One true CCKW'.
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

I can definitely post the filters I have.. they are wrong, but I guess still valuable as a learning tool.
Still would like to see what you are talking about so we will know what is "wrong" when we see one. Snap away and post by all means.
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Here is the filter that was included in a take off T-2 fuel filter I just got. The filter itself is correct (has the right casting numbers) but this fuel filter element has an open bottom. And the center post in the fuel boel included no provision to seal it off.

The last one is the bottom. Note the holes. The image in the SNL is not really the correct angle to see what the bottom should look like... but it also appears (in the SNL) that there are similar radial gaps. The gentleman who sold me the filter was kind enough to install new gaskets.
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Not so fast my CCKW friends.

Here is Fig 22 on page 03-11 of TM10-1563

Blue is fuel in from the tank, red is filtered fuel to the carb.

From the link above they appear to have it backwards. The fuel enters the cap, filters DOWN THE HOLES, through the brass elements and into the bowl?

That still seems awfully poor. All collected dirt stays in the filter element.. how are you supposed to thoroughly clean it? The TM say use dry cleaning solvent and a little air.

It would make much more sense if the INPUT was in the bowl first, then the filter to the carb. This setup negates the value of such a large bowl.

Or is my original TM wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

ORD 9 back up the above drawing, fuel is taken to the carb from the 'outside' of the filter.

The G503 strainer is a different AC P/N than the CCKW. The SNL lists 3 for the CCKW, and we know one of them is a paper element.
Last edited by pfarber on Mon May 18, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Doesn't look right

Post by Gordon_M »

It doesn't look right, does it?

Plumbed that way you could drain water out of the bowl but the dirt would stay.

If you plumbed it the other way, dirt would tend to collect in the bowl with the water, and would come out with the water when you drained it.

?
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Here is the GPW filter from TM10-1513 Fig 13

Note that this flow makes MUCH more sense.. and uses the bowl to the advantage.. a sediment trap.

I had to cut the pic in half to post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Even I am confused.. if you match the fuel line drawings from the SNL with the cap from the jeep pic it all works as planned... the line from the tank goes into the hole closest to the frame... IN. The output uses the hole away from the frame, OUT. That works.

I must be reading the CCKW pic wrong or something.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Please explain the TM picture above.

I gave the TM, page and figure number.

If the TM is wrong, so be it. If I am wrong, so be it.

Where is that 60+ years of military schooling? Can you please explain to some one with only 4 years of military schooling why I see it wrong?

The Willy MB drawing is correctly showing the outer to inner flow. The GM one is not.
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

The TM is wrong on this occasion - someone missed the incorrect numbering. But in practice all you have to do is follow the in and out on the top and you can't go wrong.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Actually, the TM is wrong, as is the image.

As pictured, the fuel tank is on the right. The carb on the left.

So not only would you have to swap the input/output numbers, the image itself has to be flipped.

Funny thing is that this when I checked TM10-1501 (1941) the description matches the image.

Hey, I found an error in the TM! BONUS!

Anyone have a TM10-1562 to see what that filter pic looks like?