XX

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: NO NEED FOR EXTRA FUEL FILTERS

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

I hate to say it, but ....

Post by Gordon_M »

Ranger is absolutely right on this one.

Doesn't happen often that we're in line 8~)
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

I have 3 filters and none of the brass elements are sealed on the bottom. So either I have 2 bad take offs and 1 bad vendor part or the design of the filter is flawed.

Are the bottoms of the T-2 filter elements sealed in any way?
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Thundercat97
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Thundercat97 »

I was going through a box of parts I was given and there is a complete WW2 dated replacement kit in there - gaskets, brass filter, etc. What a nice find for me :D

I run these both in my CCKW and Half-track.
41 WLA Project Bike
42 CCKW 353
42 57mm Anti-Tank Gun
43 WC51
43 Diamond T M3 Half-Track
1 Ton Ben Hur Trailer
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

A quick look at TM10-1513 (Willy MB) does show a cross section of the filter element, and the bottom looks like a cap of some sort is there.... but it lists no gaskets.

TM10-1563 Also shows a cross section but the bottom plate is vastly different than the one from -1513.

TM10-1500 and TM10-1501 seem to agree, and also look more like TM10-1513. But the clearest picture is TM10-1500 and the bottom does not look 'sealed'.

Anyone have a picture of a true strainer assembly?
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

I guess the answer to the question really lies in the what is the 'correct' T-2 strainer?

From the TMs it shows some sort of plate at the bottom. But there are no gaskets noted around the center shaft.

Upon inspecting the strainers I have, they only have 2 rods, while the TM10's and SNL clearly shows that 4 rods were used (I counted what appeared to be crimped ends protruding from the bottom of the strainer element).

I just bought a T-2 filter and the element has only 2 rods, and an open base. The case top matches the PNs from the SNL... and the bowl fits properly.

What does an NOS T-2 strainer GM PN 853874 look like? If you have a page number for an 'excellent' illustration of what the strainer looks like, let me know... I have yet to find one after going through all 6 TMs I have.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Hmmm... just about every one of your 'reputable dealers' has sold me things that were claimed to be correct, yet here I am saying they are not (hindsight is 20/10 :P )

Even if someone handed me a sealed in cosmoline said to be original gizmo they need to open it and prove it before I pay for it.

So, Mr. Reputable dealer of NOS parts... what does a T-2 Filter look like?

This is the point of no return. You can either help the unwashed masses and let us see, for the record, an NOS T-2 filter element.....

Or, we can await an for a moderately pithy comment.

I mean of all the posts you make, THOUSANDS of them... you once never said 'here is what I am talking about'. I have a digital camera I will GIVE YOU FOR FREE, to take pictures with.. 64Mb storage card, batteries... point and click. Just mail back the storage card and I will do the rest.

This is where the jeep and dodge guy have us beat. They will fight each other to be the first to post what the gizmo should like like, painted and installed.

Here in CCKW land we have nothing of the sort. Its sad. The CCKW is a great truck. But our community if full of Rangers.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

You may be able to use a modern replacement element such as NAPA part number 3042 or Wix filter part number 33042 as some jeep owners do.

Here are some illustrations of the filter - why don't you post some pictures of the ones you have for us to see and comment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

I can definitely post the filters I have.. they are wrong, but I guess still valuable as a learning tool.

The pics above are the standard TM/SNL ones that do not really show what the bottom part looks like. Is it a complete bottom 'cap' or just an 'x' to keep the posts from spreading. There is not enough detail to show.

Logically you would think that they bottom cap would have to be solid otherwise dirt would simply by sucked up from teh bottom of an open element. Look at the Military Senior/Junior oil filters. They have a solid metal bottom and an o-ring or gasket at the center hole to seal it completely. The T-2 fuel filter lists no such seal for the center bowl post and the element is listed as an element.

I helped (in a very, very small way) come up with the 539S carb id chart for the jeep. We need a pool of info like that to make these restored trucks better.

But the CCKW community is a lot smaller and the truck owners are not as willing to go through the debate of what is right.

I don't think parts vendors are dishonest. I do have proof that many are wrong. Seriously dead wrong. And I have examples that some vendors are great, informed and knowledgeable. But I would not say dishonest as every buyer has the ability to back out or research the part in question.

As for not selling to me personally because I may out you for selling the wrong part... good. I raelly enjoy working on my MVs but really, no one has the market cornered. And even if you had the last trinket to complete the uber-restored truck of all time, I could live without it... its just a truck.