CCKW HOT WATER HEATER KIT

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW HOT WATER HEATER KIT

Post by RANGER »

The Harrison Radiator Div of general Motors pruduced a Hot Water Heater Kit as part of the overall Winterization Kit for Closed and Open Cab CCKWs. They were introduced in early 1944. The kit was normally installed in trucks installed in cold climates and is designed to be used in CCKWs equipped with the battery heater kit. Included with the kit are the misc hoses, switches, wires and fittings to install the kit in a stock CCKW. The kit is similar to but not the same as the Harrison Kit used in CJ-2A and CJ-3A Jeeps. The housings and core plumbing are quite different due to the configuration of the firewall of the CCKW and Jeep firewalls. These kits are now 55-65 years old, they are nice and a good find. Only thing to consider is the type of storage they have been subject to, some of the motors may suffer irrepairable corrosion from damp storage, the kits that I have seen that were stored dry have no problems. They make a fine addition to the CCKW cab, especially the Closed cab. They will keep a Closed Cab warm and toasty for those cold parades. The Open Cab is another story, the difference is negligable. There are no provisions for defroster with these kits, the electric defrosters were installed for this purpose. Some state MV regs may prohibit use of the electric defroster kits, they look fine on display.
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: CCKW HOT WATER HEATER KIT

Post by RANGER »

These kits were available for issue during the time the CCKW was standard issue to the US army. The WWII versions were in wood crates, some of the 50s dated kits were enclosed in hermetically sealed boxes that reduce the risk of long term storage.
Those with experience with CCKWs in the 40s-50s will remember that the kits mostly appeared on the USAF Airfield Tankers, very few were witnessed on other types of CCKWs.
I have installed one on my Closed Cab CCKW, it works great. Installation is simple, a few precise holes are required and the instructions are easy to follow.
Buy two if you can in order to have spare parts for the future.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The heaters of this type that I have seen on USAF Tankers appear to have been installed Post WWII and after the trucks were painted Airfield Yellow or Strata Blue, as the heaters were OD color. Strata Blue appeared around 1950.
Last edited by RANGER on Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
retro-roco
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by retro-roco »

Nice snag on the NOS heater kit from Missouri, that you bought on ebay! Let me know if you need me to go pick it up for you! 8)
Kirk Gustafson
Item Coy, 23 Regt, 2 Inf Div
WWII HRS
Dr Deuce
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dr Deuce »

What is Ranger going to do with his new (expensive) NOS eBay water heater...? :)
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
10 CCKW deuces, 7 Chevys
retro-roco
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by retro-roco »

I can guarantee you that he won't loose money on it, unless he decides to. He is always picking up "trade goods", and a NOS heater kit is a very desirable piece. Maybe he'll give it to one of his friends who are still working on their restoration (PFarber??) :lol:
Last edited by retro-roco on Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk Gustafson
Item Coy, 23 Regt, 2 Inf Div
WWII HRS
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

One cannot have too many NOS CCKW Heater Kits, they are good property. Have not tried to see how they fit the G-506, there may be a challenge due to the G-506 having hardware on the firewall that does not exist on the G-508. The kits are made for te G-508.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

What is strange is that GMC did not issue their 1940's toggle type Delco 3-Speed Heater Switch, but a universal Rotary type switch with an OD color knob. I opted for a NOS DELCO period type switch, it looks and fits better and none of you would notice the difference if I hadn't told you. The NOS original DELCO switches command up to $75.00 each on the antique auto circuit.
The switch experts will now have something to bitch about, but it is my truck, and I have saved the switch that came with my kit, they are a pain as they do not stay tight where they clamp to the dash, the NOS have a stud and the Closed Cabs just happen to have holes under the dash in the correct location.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

It is a good idea to install shut off valves at the Heater hose inlet and outlet on the waterpump, if not, it gets a bit too warm on the feet in warm weather.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

They are all the same colour- Lustreles Olive Drab. And are 6 Volt when issued.
Last edited by RANGER on Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I have 12 Volt Motors to convert these NOS kits to give trouble free operration in CCKWs converted to 12 Volts.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The Hot Water Heater for the CCKW provides quck heat due to the rapid warm up characteristic of the CCKW engine. Doors are a must when installed on the Open Cab CCKWs.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Dr Deuce wrote:What is Ranger going to do with his new (expensive) NOS eBay water heater...? :)
By "expensive", what do you base your remark on?
Are there any NOS CCKW Hot Water Heater kits available for less? There must be or you would not have commented that it was expensive. Show me some NOS, NIB originals that are less expensive. :wink:
brian
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by brian »

so, do this kit appear with a ord 9 snl G249 volume number?

curious minds want to know?
BB
if you cant afford the manual, you cant afford the truck!
wc-4
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Hot Water Kit does have a Ord Number, It is on the box, I will get it later. I believe the G-249 only shows the Gasoline burning kit that is part of the winterization kit. I have not noticed the Hot Water Kit listed in any ORD 9. I have both versions NOS on my shelf. The Fuel burning kit is post WWII, comes with a primer, winter front etc., and mounts on drivers' fender.