IT LIVES.......!!

Ken J
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1941 Dodge WC-43 Telephone Installation (replica)
194? K-38 Telephone Tool Trailer
194? Ben Hur Trailer
1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with winch

IT LIVES.......!!

Post by Ken J »

Hi All:

Today I got my 1940 VF-402 engine running. I have no idea when it ran last, but it hasn't run since I "rescued" it last February (it looks like it's been many, many years since it last coughed to life). The plug wires were cloth-covered rubber hard as wood, so I put a cheap set of new ones on; I also replaced the cap, rotor, points, condensor, spark plugs, and engine oil (only about 3 quarts of very black, very thick stuff drained out). I used a reconditioned coil, and rigged a temporary ignition switch.

I went thru the carburetor, generator, air cleaner, distributor, and fuel pump. All that, and I still managed to forget the can of ether! I was still able to start and run it, though. I was able to get it into gear, but without the gas pedal working, I couldn't get 'er to move (in idle).

I took a few video clips, and after I get them posted on YouTube, I'll post the links here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Nice Christmas present Ken

Post by Gordon_M »

It's so much less hassle to work on something that will run.

I have the essential parts of (another) VC3 here that someone completely dismantled, and I mean completely. Two differentials in pieces in a box is not a pretty sight, especially when it was done years ago and everything is now covered in surface rust.

The engine, transmission, and front axle housing are all going on my original VC3, with the displaced parts from there helping with my WD21 panel van.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Ken J
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
194? Ben Hur Trailer

Post by Ken J »

Ha ha ha ha! You didn't really buy that "truck"/parts kit to put back together, did you?? :wink:

To tell you the truth, I didn't really want this beast, but it was going to the scrap yard crusher, and I figured I could sell it one day if I had to. Yes, it makes a big difference to work on one that's essentially "driveable". My introduction to this hobby was the "WC-1" that I've added the WC-43 bed to; it was a long ways from driveable.

Best,
-Ken J
Last edited by Ken J on Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken J
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
194? Ben Hur Trailer

Post by Ken J »

Here's the video link at YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgF43dIpR3w

Enjoy :roll:

(I didn't think I looked THAT redneck!)