THERE ARE OTHER GREAT CCKW OWNERS

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

THERE ARE OTHER GREAT CCKW OWNERS

Post by RANGER »

One is Eric of the TV pilot "Combat Garage" fame, he has just installed a fresh GMC 270 in his expertly restored CCKW 353 Closed cab. eric works closely with Jim Gilmore and Bob Rubino, they are the Three Musketeers of MV restoration and expertise.
Many of you may remember Eric, he is an avid member of the Red Ball Chapter in Pennsylvania, and was driven to his wedding reception in Bob Rubino's SWB CCKW. Now that's a "war story" to be told. Hopefully there will be more episodes of Combat Garage.
Eric is also an artist and makes WWII A-2 Leather Flight Jackets come to life, he painted the name and RANGERS logo on the door of my CCKW.
Last edited by RANGER on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

They are everywhere, even got one, maybe two, here in Maine. New England is loaded with them and they are spread all over the US and overseas.
CCKWs are really popular and a pleasant vehicle to own. The owners are from all walks of life, from Dr. Deuce (with saddle sores as he must live in his CCKW) to Pat Whitehouse, retired airline pilot and B-17 Flying Fortress pilot.

It would be great to hear from others from around the world.
Last edited by RANGER on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

Ranger's friend Eric:

Is that the correct GMC engine colour??
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Eric Kosalko, co-star of Combat Garage and one happy CCKW owner. He has just installed a fresh 270 in his CCKW and will again be part of the Red Ball monthly convoys.
It is fresh paint and looks close. I will find out what color it is.
Eric is located is 500 miles from me.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: THERE ARE OTHER GREAT CCKW OWNERS

Post by RANGER »

Eric, Bob and Jim volunteered to drive 1000 miles round trip on a weekend just to lift on my newly restored 1574 Cab done by Mil Spec and BS with me for a few moments. Thats what I call real friends. The Red Ball Chapter is like that. :thumbup:
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Is it me or does it look like an in line fuel filter just ahead of the fuel pump?

I'm sure there are tons of great CCKW owners. I'm sure 99% do not post on the web because they probably have better things to do (I have a lot of down time at work).

Although the CCKW community is small, I think that most people are reluctant to discuss things that might 'hurt' other people's feelings or question people that 'are in the know' about what they actually may or may not know.

If the king has no clothes, someone should tell him.

I fall into that category.

There were roughly twice as many CCKWs built than jeeps. Yet there is little about the jeep that cannot be looked up. We have not devised a 'judging standard' (that I know of) or a central repository of knowledge with people to fill it with information.
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Oh yeah.. and tell him to that the mirror off the passenger side cowl. :)
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

pfarber wrote:Is it me or does it look like an in line fuel filter just ahead of the fuel pump?

I'm sure there are tons of great CCKW owners. I'm sure 99% do not post on the web because they probably have better things to do (I have a lot of down time at work).

Although the CCKW community is small, I think that most people are reluctant to discuss things that might 'hurt' other people's feelings or question people that 'are in the know' about what they actually may or may not know.

If the king has no clothes, someone should tell him.

I fall into that category.

There were roughly twice as many CCKWs built than jeeps. Yet there is little about the jeep that cannot be looked up. We have not devised a 'judging standard' (that I know of) or a central repository of knowledge with people to fill it with information.
Am sure that the extra filter is a temporary expedient The CCKW is restored and a show winner just the way it is, it is constantly being tweaked into perfection, most of the hard work is done and he is surrounded by other CCKW experts at Mil Spec.
Farby let this truck be a goal for you to equal, it may surprise you. I can't believe what you have just said as you are so critical of defects and incorrect parts on every CCKW that you encounter.
Many have their sights set high on your red CCKW project, you have commited yourself and must stand up to your reputation of attention to detail.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

It better not win any shows with that extra mirror. :P

Its kinda funny.. people will scrounge and hunt and beg for the right gizmo for the truck because 'the factory' made it that way.

But slapping on extra mirrors is never questioned.

Maybe I should change my sig:

"Friends don't let friends farby up thier truck with extra mirrors" its a little long... but I'll work on it :)

I like EVERY cckw I see. They are great trucks... with a style all thier own. I am partial to the open cabs... I don't really like the looks of the 352 (those spare tires give it a hunchback) and would give an arm and a leg for a AFKWX... I REALLY like the COEs.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

FYI, that is the original engine from my CCKW that Eric is eagerly awaiting to fire off. It was perfect but they tore it down just to make sure it would be all it could be. It runs like a raped ape. Helping fellow CCKW owners pays off in spades, his smile says it all.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

And do not forget the collectors from around the four corners of the world that support the hobby with some of the most detailed restorations, greatest clubs and publications about WWII vehicles.
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

[quote="pfarber"]

There were roughly twice as many CCKWs built than jeeps.

I had always thought that MB/GPW production was 600,000+ and CCKW 500,000+
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I demand a recount. :?
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Ya can't be right *ALL* the time :)

I know what I wanted to say, but it came out wrong.... oh well... I'm sure it wont be the last.
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

pfarber wrote:Ya can't be right *ALL* the time :)

I know what I wanted to say, but it came out wrong.... oh well... I'm sure it wont be the last.

Hi pfarber,

I know what ya mean! The last time I was wrong was May 23rd, 1973. :lol: :lol:
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC