CCKW FLAG DISPLAY---------- RIGHT WAY-WRONG WAY

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW FLAG DISPLAY---------- RIGHT WAY-WRONG WAY

Post by RANGER »

Many collectors the world over choose to honor the United States by displaying the United States flag from their CCKW and other WWII MVs. That is a great honor.US Flag Ettiquette states that a flag mounted on a vehicle be displayed at the right front.

Flags of all nations displayed on MVs should be displayed with respect. There are some examples of CCKWs that demonstrate poor taste.
One such example exhibiting total lack of respect, is posted on the CCKW gallery of another site , it pictures a dump truck that has Old Glory being used as a wrapper for a camoflage net on the Cowl. :roll:

The display of the photo demonstrates ignorance and speak poorly of the integrety of the host site, to allow the photograph depicting combined desecration of the American Flag and blasphemy is insulting and should be removed.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Time to remove the disgusting photo. I realize that the owner is from Belgium and may not be familiar with our customs and flag ettiquette, but the host site is here in the USof A. and should know better.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: CCKW FLAG DISPLAY---------- RIGHT WAY-WRONG WAY

Post by RANGER »

It has happened again, the F--- Adolph is back. :thumbdown:
darog
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by darog »

Yeah- I saw it too.
That pic needs to be reconsidered.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

It is a poor reflection of the website, the owner of that same truck was using the US Flag as a cover for the camo net on the cowl, It remained on the site for several months until the site owner blanked it out.
I will not make many friends speaking out to this stuff, but the MV hobby deserves better PR.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Am not surprised that the post has been allowed to continue, the Emperor has not had a good wardrobe for a few years.
68427vette
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by 68427vette »

as a collector, and Veteran supporter,, i was informed of this years ago.. as I was not versed in the tradition,(flag on passenger side), as i was NOt in the military and did not know of the other traditions. I applaud you efforts to inform us,, i think it s a LACK OF TEACHING in our schools.. are there any other traditions that we as restorers, collectors, should be informed of,, i would love to hear more,, maybe start a new thread on this ,, as its very important.. on a side note,, i always get invited to , reinactment events,, since i have armor, etc.. I just dont feel it is my place,, to wear a uniform,, since i see my father in his,, with is medals, etc,, and i was never in the service, I FULLY understand there purpose: to display(reinact) a battle scene etc,, for the historical purpose), but i just cant do it,,, In parades i wera a OD green shirt,, and jeans. .. Also,, i was informed that soldiers,, does not refer to all combat serviceman,, as i believe NAVY,, MARINES,, are not soldiers,, please clarify,,, this is a great topic,, as i would like to respect those in the proper fashion,, especially the FLAG!! thanks RANGER,, keep it UP!!! jc-ohio military veterans museum
did you also know that you can NOT BUY, SELL, or wear a MEdal of honor medal, if you are not a receipient.. I love the HISTORY CHANNEL, MAIL CALL!
Looking for a donor M38 w/ good motor, Scoutcars and Halftracks, VC's, VF401-406
36th Tom
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: 1942 MB
MKT-85 Field Kitchen

Post by 36th Tom »

As a Veteran and a re-enactor myself, I have to say that the question of wearing the uniform is touchy one. A lot of is a matter of personal conviction. I personally am not offended at non-military personnel wearing the uniform of past years, so long as it is worn CORRECTLY (proper haircut, etc).

As a vehicle restorer, I see it as honerable to put on a uniform appropriate to the vehicle, (within reason). In a few years, those vehicles will be the only physical reminders of the sacrifice of that generation left. It will be our reponsibility as caretakers of the vehicles to keep the memory of them, the veterans, alive. (Don't count on the schools to do it.)

Again, it is a matter of personal conviction, and if one feels unworthy of wearing the uniform, then by all means don't. But in my mind that realization of not being worthy of the uniform means they are worthy of wearing it to honor the service of those tho did.

Just one man's opinon.

36th Tom
U.S. Army,
1987-1991
Jeroen Sleijpen
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: MVPA member #18214
MVT
BMVT
G535 1945 MACK NM8 D 7880
194? Steel products Co. trailer full, flat bed 16-TON

Post by Jeroen Sleijpen »

I agree, it's not a bad thing to wear OD in rally's and ceremonial things. But the wearing of uniforms is only up to the one who wore them in service.

Back in the days when I started restoring mv's, people would look strange as one would appear on an event dressed in a uniform or wearing a helmet. Now a days, people look strange at me, if I appear in blue jeans and a Mack t-shirt....
The hobby and it's enthusiasts changed! :(
MVT
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by 68427vette »

thanks for the response;
"But in my mind that realization of not being worthy of the uniform means they are worthy of wearing it to honor the service of those who did"

i fully agree, that we need to teach, through visualization, in todays fast paced world,, BOOKS are boring to most. kids need stimulation,, and when we roll in a parade(or school), halftracks, jeeps,, the kids,, and families eyes,, just open up!!!

I guess ive talked and listened to so many VETERANS, that
i feel and can see it in there eyes and hear it in there voice the horrors of war, and their experiences. I had an iwo jima veteran, stop while i was talking to a few board members of the Dayton Airforce Museum (during the Doolittle raid fly over day-AWSOME, 20-50,000 people) because he over heard me that i had an amphibious tracked LVT-4, ( he litterly STOPPED IN HIS TRACKS) I excuse myself from the small meeting to talk to the gentleman,
During the conversation, he stopped and looked up to the video screen of BOB HOPE(near us),, and all the troops, behind BOB HOPE,, and he got really choked up, and said,, "all them boys, we had to pile them up, like cords of wood... there were so many of them, young.... so many of them...." and then he thanked me, for what i do?!!?,, and with tears in both our eyes, i hugged and embrassed him,, and we dried our tears, and i thanked him for his service to FREEDOM, and to AMERICA, and it was an amazing moment... ALL I CAN SAY IS GOD BLESS OUR VETERANS, GOD BLESS THEM.....I thank every veteran i see, and meet, thurday, i was getting coffee, and a group of 6, 20-35year old army guys walked in,, i turned to them ,, and told them to get what they wanted, and that i was buying,,, stunned by my offer,, i thanked them for what they do,, and off i went.. too much is being lost.. sorry to type so long,,, we've got to do more!!!
Looking for a donor M38 w/ good motor, Scoutcars and Halftracks, VC's, VF401-406
FISCH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by FISCH »

68427vette

Remember, the thanks is for keeping the memories alive. Funny thing about history, unless we learn from it we are doomed to repeat it.

PM me if you are in the Dayton area, there are several of us perhaps we can get a local Dodge club going.

Fisch
WC-56
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

Hi All
Most HMV owners here do not wear uniforms but dress in nondescript khaki or green shirt and trousers so as not to look jarringly out of place in and around the vehicle. As for myself, I would feel very uncomfortable in a uniform as I am not playing soldiers I'm just playing with their toys.
In regards to the flag business. To put things in perspective, it would be safe to say that anybody that displays old glory no matter in how misguided a fashion is making a statement that they are a friend of, admire or look kindly on the US and don't mind being associated with that notion. Keep in mind that there are quite a few places out there where they are more inclined to burn it. I dont see there is any need for all this knicker twisting that's going on.
David
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

David, there is only one way to display Old Glory, research it and respect it. Furthermore, the military vehicles were not toys to those who operated them, men got killed in them and those who did not carried the war to the enemy and freed up the world.
Many owners spend hours of research on placing the correct markings of their favorite US Army combat unit, researching US Flag Etiquette will only take a few minutes more.