Repro WW2 Blackout Tail Lights

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Don
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Repro WW2 Blackout Tail Lights

Post by Don »

I've got a 1942 Dodge WC-40 (half ton closed cab) that I just got on the road this year. For the tail lights, I installed two NOS left hand blackout lights. At the red oval two element light, I wired the dimmer element as a tail light, and the brighter element as a combined brake/signal light. This worked well, but I only have one spare bulb and replacements are expensive and hard to find.

On ebay I saw some correct looking reproductions titled "Willys MB Ford GPW Jeep Truck Military Cat Eye Rear Tail Light 4" Pair". I bought a pair for about $55 including shipping. These look pretty good, and have the advantage of having replaceable (and readily available) 12 volt bulbs. The connections on the back are threaded studs, so might lose you points if your truck is judged for historical accuracy. The two mounting studs are about 1/4" closer together than original and would require drilling some new holes in the mounting bracket.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with them. The slight inaccuracies don't matter to me as I drive my truck for fun, casual display and parades. I like to think its dents and faults give it character.