Hoo boy...

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Hoo boy...

Post by PareosWC »

I was quite proud of myself, as this 3/4T outer windscreen required a donor tube on the driver side. After careful measurements of the passenger tube, I somehow perfectly cut/welded in a fresh right-side tube to almost the exact measurement! :)

Until I mounted the windscreen for a dry fit, and saw that, yes, the left and right vertical frame pieces are indeed exact- unfortunately, a parallelogram :lol: Experience says to keep the frame mounted, secure a ratchet strap to the top driver-side corner and pull until vertical. But will a rod or triangle piece need to be welded in to keep it vertical?

And yes, the frame was aligned and photographed with the shop door in the background to show you the angle difference... :roll:

Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Hoo boy...

Post by Gordon_M »

It'll be fine. Now that you have seen it you'll be noticing out-of-square on every other WC frame you see.

Best way to do this is tack it and then measure the diagonals and tweak till they match. If you measure the diagonals now, and there is, say 1/2" of difference, a good rule of thumb is you'd have to pull it 1" the other way and then let it spring back square. I once had to remove 2" out-of-square on a Carryall rear body by jacking it 4"
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

I think you will find that no external bracing is required so long as your welds are good.

David
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

...so long as your welds are good
Now that's the question! :lol: