From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Division_Ordnance
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class
My garage: WC-63....and a mountain of rust

WC 63 Steering Column Alignment

Post by Division_Ordnance »

All,

Im in the middle of a restoration project I got off another fella that started it so I'm kinda flying blind on some parts I don't know what it was like before disassembly.

I painted the cab and have just recently mounted it to the frame. After looking at the steering column it is not lining up with the cutout in the cab. The angle of the steering column seems to be flatter than it should be.

I believe the wood spacer blocks and bolts to the cab are correct. Is there anywhere else in the cab to look where I could be missing something on alignment. Don't see how a steering column can be so far out of alignment ( 3" low and a little to the passengers side).

Is there any adjustment on the steering column? Seems bolted pretty firm to frame with little adjust. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Iv tried attaching a photo but not sure I can. Maybe this link to my album will work.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1jtdZhG2be7byEmg8
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: WC 63 Steering Column Alignment

Post by Kaegi »

make sure cab blocks are the correct thickness. the height of column does adjust the holes in frame are slotted for this purpose. it adjusts quite a bit.
Division_Ordnance
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class
My garage: WC-63....and a mountain of rust

Re: WC 63 Steering Column Alignment

Post by Division_Ordnance »

That's it exactly, 4 large bolts on the frame did it. There were large flat washers covering the slots under the bolt heads. Thank you Kaegi.