APT hood length

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

APT hood length

Post by Kaegi »

anyone here have an APT? looking at pics it seems like the hood might be about an inch longer than the US WC. and the nose looks moved forward about an inch as well all to make room for longer engine.
please no replies in Centimeters. ;/)
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: APT hood length

Post by Gordon_M »

Morning Steve.

By coincidence I know someone who had to deal with exactly that subject, Geoff Hargreaves of Grassington some years back.

Geoff had an APT with no bonnet ( hood ) and had to get an ordinary WC one and rework it to fit. I believe he had to put nearly 2" into the length. Not sure if he also put the wading snorkel cutout in there.

The ordinary WC engine is 23.5" at the head / block joint, the Canadian standard engine is 25" so somewhere between 1.5" and 2" would be about right.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

I figured someone on this forum would have an apt it seems most ended up in Europe. I see them pop up for sale over there but never here in the colonies. most refer to the engines as the 23" and the 25" but the difference is actually closer to 2 3/8" (25 3/8" on the long one) from engines i have measured. only way to be exact would be to measure the cylinder spacing then do the math.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

There are a bunch of differences apart from the engine.

Lift rings on the wheels, I'm sure the transmission is different ( as in not IDENTICAL to the WC unit ) wading equipment, two different body widths, wide and narrow, that sort of thing.

If I found one tomorrow I'd only really be concerned about how complete it was, as any APT-specific parts that were missing would have to be made. Engine parts for the Canadian long block are much more difficult than WC, though I'd guess some internal and external parts would interchange ( conrods, oil pump, anything that wasn't directly related to the block / head length)

I've seen a few in the UK, of course some are in Canada and the US, and bunch of brand new ones went to Norway and were surplussed off around 1990 - they declared them surplus to get rid of them and kept their standard WCs a bit longer.
Gordon, in Scotland

Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

if you ever see an APT for sale in north america I might be interested. I have a shell of a WC52 that I want to put a 25 inch engine in. if I know the length of an APT hood we can make one. the only hard part is lengthening the side panels.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Hmm, on the civilian trucks you can cheat by turning the radiator core round, you actually have room to put a 25" engine in the civilian front.

Not sure if you could do the same with a vanilla WC though, probably not
Gordon, in Scotland

Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

that trick only works on military 1/2 ton VC and WC 4x4 and 39 to 47 two wheel drive civilian. if it worked on 3/4 tons and Power Wagons we would see the upgrade frequently. in 61 the Power wagons went to the 251 by using a different core support, different radiator, grill extension and longer winch frame extensions. its a tricky job to convert a 23 inch truck. I am fairly certain the APT is not done like the PW later on was. the APT I think uses standard 3/4 ton radiator and has the longer hood and the core support is just mounted farther forward
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

found it

Post by Kaegi »

I forgot about this website. lots of good pics and info there. only downside was the metric measurements. :lol:

http://www.wheelsofvictory.com/differ%2 ... anada.html
SteveJ
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC52
1986 Armstrong MT500EC Canadian Military Dispatch Motorcycle

Post by SteveJ »

Ive run across at least 6 or 7 APT's in Canada. Trouble is the ones that stayed here went mostly to lumber and power companies or other industry when they went surplus and were literally driven into the ground. If you find one these days they are usually a hulk. I know a fellow in Montreal had one brought back from Norway and it was nice. And another guy with a complete one that is a lump that hasn't moved in years and everything is stuck.
1943 Dodge WC52 8)
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

SteveJ wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:59 pm Ive run across at least 6 or 7 APT's in Canada. Trouble is the ones that stayed here went mostly to lumber and power companies or other industry when they went surplus and were literally driven into the ground. If you find one these days they are usually a hulk. I know a fellow in Montreal had one brought back from Norway and it was nice. And another guy with a complete one that is a lump that hasn't moved in years and everything is stuck.
does the guy with the complete lump with everything stuck want to sell?
SteveJ
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC52

Post by SteveJ »

Sadly no. He says he has way too much invested in it to sell. He bought it as a supposed restored runner but sight unseen other than pictures. Had it trucked right across the country got it home and everything is stuck motor,gearboxes and the surface of the metalwork is all pitted like it sat in acid rain and they just gunned OD over it. Thats the first one I tried to buy until I got a good look at it but like I say he would not sell anyway.
:(
1943 Dodge WC52 8)
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

that is sad. hope he took them to court