1/2 ton versus 3/4 ton

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: 1/2 ton versus 3/4 ton

Post by zepher11 »

motto wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:03 am That clinches it Zeph, the conclusion I had arrived at was correct, 3/4 and 1-1/2 ton trucks did not use rivets to attach the running board hanger brackets. On the T214 and T223 trucks they were bolted on. No other interpretation is possible. The T214 series of vehicles includes WC56, 57 & 58 so bolted hangers on those trucks.
Thanks for laying the matter to rest.

David
I haven't restored a 3/4 ton truck yet, so wasn't sure if bolted or riveted. I think we are good to go now! 8)
Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Re: 1/2 ton versus 3/4 ton

Post by motto »

zepher11 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:35 pm I think we are good to go now!
Yes, another fragment added to the body of knowledge.
The question arose in an attempt to identify/differentiate between vehicles that were factory built as 3/4 ton Command cars and those built as Weapon Carriers. I myself have built a Command Car on what was originally a WC chassis so am quite familiar with the differences between the two. I can safely say that the two chassis are identical, you do not have to drill a hole to build either vehicle from the same chassis. All you need is the applicable parts to bolt on. Simon Allan here in Australia has now hand built 15 or more 3/4 ton CC body tubs, almost all of which have gone onto what were originally WCs. The truth is that these vehicles are in fact replicas but so close to original that nobody cares much. There are ways to identify a tub built by Simon so people are not trying to pass them off as original.
Where a problem arises is if an original CC tub is placed on a WC chassis. If done properly there is no way to tell except by reference to the build card.

David