carb question

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
tanker
Corporal
Corporal

carb question

Post by tanker »

Its been a while since last post, alot of things in life had me busy. The WC got put on back burner. I have the WC back in one piece , painted and running. The issue is , it has a Zenith model 29, and it has massive fuel consumption. Its almost like a controlled fuel leak!!!!. Put a new kit in and no change. Any tips or hints what to look for or change?
Ernie Baals
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: carb question

Post by Ernie Baals »

Whats massive?
I get around 8 MPG on long trips , a lot less in parades and around town
tanker
Corporal
Corporal

Post by tanker »

no real open roads trips yet--just around lot and such. when it was running on a remote tank it would consume about half gallon in approx. 20 min. Didn't know if float level would effect mpg. Or is something not adjusted right. I would have to add fuel with little running time.
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lang »

At half a gallon in 20 minutes you are doing a heck of a lot better than Ernie. Stopping and starting with a cold engine like you are doing consumes a lot of fuel but at say a more efficient 30mph that is 20 miles per gallon. Can I swap my carburettor for yours?

Lang
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

I have always run the carter carb and never got less than 10 mpg at 55 mph. much better on back roads at 40 mph. offroad I measure in gallons per hour. about a gallon and a half an hour on offroad trail in 4 wd. that is very good compared to other vehicles I have offroaded with who consume more than double that amount.
at 40 miles an hour you would use 1.11 gallons in 20 minutes if your were getting 12 mpg ( I get in the mid teens at those speeds). So at .5 gallons in 20 minutes at 40 mph I think thats 26+ mpg.
26 is unlikely so i am guessing you are just running in neutral in the driveway? either way I think your good.
tanker
Corporal
Corporal

Post by tanker »

Kaeigi You are on the nose- running in the driveway.(aka farm in a barn). It just seems that I am filling up the remote tank WAY too often. Stay tuned--- going back to farm next week and will measure the amount used in a time frame and report results. I hope you guys are right that I may be better off than I think.
tanker
Corporal
Corporal

Post by tanker »

Well I got back out to the WC, got everything set up. The blasted thing would not start. I ran battery down . I think I'm gonna have to trailer it home and work on it in the back yard. Cooler weather is around the corner. The garage is home to a street rod and the wife says " It WON'T sit out in the weather" Heck-- I built it on the apron in front of the garage and drove it out to the farm, and WHAM problems ever since. Got the short in the distributor fixed, now fuel issues. :cry:
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

u try tapping on the carb? the modern gas these days is terrible and doesn't like to sit around. might be causing float to stick shut. or if its flooding might be sticking open.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

Ensure that fuel is not bypassing your fuel pump and going into the crankcase...
tanker
Corporal
Corporal

Post by tanker »

And the plot thickens---fuel pump had a pinpoint and I mean TINY casting hole over the glass bowl. found it when electric pump was installed. I'm beginning to think I will never get to "play with my WC" The truck must be haunted