Future of the ww2dodge.com Forum... (Discussion)

Discussion of current events, the site, the forum and participation in intelligent conversation with other forum.ww2dodge users - politics-free please.
dashtp40
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: WC-3

Re: Future of the ww2dodge.com Forum... (Discussion)

Post by dashtp40 »

Gordon, well said! Many thanks.
Steve
Florence
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Florence »

Yes! That’s true.
Keep it running - I always enjoy this WW2 Dodge Forum.

Kindest regards
Sylvia / Florence
WC58 - 4229/933 July 1942 - Commander George
http://www.command-car.com
Dedicated to Dodge Command Car and Dodge Ambulance of WW2

Dodge Build Card collection:
http://www.command-car.com/technik/tech ... cards.html
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

KEEP THE FORUM

I had my Command Car for 11 years and would have struggled to keep her on the road without this forum, and now with my Carry-All I find the forum invaluable.

I'm not sure there is anything inherently "wrong" with the forum as it is, only that I sense some folks may have tired of the hobby or perhaps feel they have nothing to contribute, that of course could not be further from the truth!

Jim Lee, I understand but don't agree with your position in respect of "dynamic" discussion. I used to spend a lot of time on the G503 forum but now I avoid it (other than the M38A1 section) as I an sick of the constant "pissing matches" and personal attacks that have very much become a part of that forum thanks to around perhaps half a dozen strongly opinionated people who now seem to dominate the forum. I know a number of new posters were shocked and disgusted by the vitriol directed by respondents who were quite simply trying to denigrate or discredit other respondents. Its my view that if one cannot keep their ego in check, and post well thought out and reasoned responses, one should not respond. IMHO

Saving this forum is up to us, the regular posters. We need to make the effort to post interesting questions with a view to sharing our experience and knowledge, and thereby creating a more interesting forum through generating interest.

Its our forum, lets own it!

Cheers

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I totally love this forum, only wish I had more time to participate.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Bert
General
General
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC-51 "old bets"
1945 Dodge WC-62

Post by Bert »

As you can see the site looks a bit different. I finally made time te upgrade the forum software to an up-to-date version. Unfortunately the green style couldn't be saved. I'll have to recreate it later on.

Comments en suggestions are welcome.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

Yes, just a bit of a surprise this morning when I logged-in.

I'm just happy that we are still here and up and running.

I liked and used the Green format but when I mentioned my preference a few years back I got the impression that I was in the minority. :D

Thanks for everything Bert.
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
dashtp40
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: WC-3

Post by dashtp40 »

Bert,
I agree with Vista52 ! The new look is good and the forum is still functional. Thank you for your work on this site.
Steve
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

I go out for the evening and someone redecorates, ah well. Thanks Bert

It's the content that is important, but the new colour scheme is a little "modern" to my eyes.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Hmmm, and there I was thinking I had hit a wrong button somewhere :oops: Must say its "different" but as Gordon said, its the content that matters

Cheers
Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
jim lee
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: M37

Post by jim lee »

June J wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:46 pm Jim Lee, I understand but don't agree with your position in respect of "dynamic" discussion. I used to spend a lot of time on the G503 forum but now I avoid it (other than the M38A1 section) as I an sick of the constant "pissing matches" and personal attacks that have very much become a part of that forum thanks to around perhaps half a dozen strongly opinionated people who now seem to dominate the forum. I know a number of new posters were shocked and disgusted by the vitriol directed by respondents who were quite simply trying to denigrate or discredit other respondents. Its my view that if one cannot keep their ego in check, and post well thought out and reasoned responses, one should not respond. IMHO
I came back and had a look because I was wondering about the color change. Lo and Behold, Someone replied to my comment. Made me go back and re-read what I'd posted. And I still agree with everything I said. Damn well written too!

Good on ya for replying! At the end of the day, replies are really the most important thing.

And I replied to your reply, generating yet more interest.

What a day!

-jim lee
ziro
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: Dodge WC56

Post by ziro »

Hi from Germany,
I like the forum very much! And that it is sometimes very calm, I know that from my Harley XA forum, too. Sometimes is the question there if it makes sense to run it further or not. But there is so many knowledge in it that it would be a shame to cut it off.

I prefer a real forum much more as Facebook. In a Facebook blog you couldn't find old messages very bad again. Here in the forum is that much easier.

The new design is more difficult to read as the old one. My 50 cent. :wink: :mrgreen:

Best,
ziro
gpw_42
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by gpw_42 »

After years away from this Forum, I've checked-in, and noticed that the pace of posting seems to have slowed way down. I'm sure I missed a bunch in the meantime, especially whatever went on between Vista and Rocks. My participation in the MV hobby slowed way down in 2011, but has increased some in the last 18 months or so.

This is the best source for Dodges on the internet, period. I hope that it will remain available.

Suggestions?
- Photo hosting is about the only big change I'd recommend. It would be a big improvement to speed posting pics, prevent loss in the future (forums all over the net are hurting after the Photobucket debacle). And it would probably drive a fee to be a member of the Forum.
- I kinda miss the old green format, but that's not substantive.

Bert and Gordon, thanks for keeping the Forum up and running for all the rest of us!
Steve
NC, USA
1942 GPW running
1941 WC-1 restoration required
Wolfen
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Wolfen »

I don't have a problem with the new look.