Colour inside a WC54

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Your so right Sylvia. the vehicles were built to work. The dents and bangs are part of the old girl's history. I do like to see a bit of wear. When Katy was being restored the passenger side had a piece of plate roughly screwed on. It had been there a long time from the paint. When it had been removed a large tear was found in the original metal. Carol decided to replace the original metal complete with odd screws. Whatever happned to her Katy had won her spurs. Have you heard of the tradition of notching the steering wheel if a casualty died? Katy appears to have 3 on her wheel.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

For what it's worth, I too agree. Still, there's something to be said for museum pieces and that "Factory Fresh" look too. :thumbup: Both have their place. Now I had noticed something in Steve's truck. I had always thought that the WC 53 & WC 54 shared many of the same components, seats being one of em.

I noticed 2 BIG difference in the seats of Steve's truck. #1, the driver's seat. The Carryall had a larger drivers seat, big enough for 2 actually. #2, the passenger jump seat. I assume it folds the same as the Carryall's passenger jump seat, but I noticed the arm rest. The Carryall doesn't have that. I assume that's because the 54 needs more room for the medic to get to the back, but we all know what assume stands for. :lol:

Anybody have the straight skinny on these differences? :? Facts would be nice, but I'll buy a good soundin story too. :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Steve
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Steve »

I am glad that my pictures have gone down well, always nervous of the purists who will tear something to pieces if they see something not quite right. My idea is to have the WC54 as it would have been in service along with the odd dent and the paint not "Factory Fresh" aslo with slight adaptions of kit that I am sure would have been the case at the time. Being an ex service person I know the landrovers I used were adapted for field use as a FRT (REME)vehicle and in effect looked nothing like the parade ground versions. Ugg as for your comments the seats are correct for the early 42 model being made in brown leatherette, both also tip forward allowing ease of access to the rear. Not sure about the arm rest I think that may be the way you look at the picture. These are certainly a lot better than the WC52 seats having more springing and a bit more support, certainly I am not crippled when I get out of the drivers seat. Thanks to Sylvia for her comments and doing the technical part for me - this is amazing I post on the forum and and someone in Germany helps me to post photographs. Just another example of us Dodge people helping each other across the world. Steve
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Steve:

Like I've always said, once a vehicle hits it's unit, in most cases they are made up for that unit's particular job. I always remember the mad rush as an IG (Inspector General's) inspection was looming, and we'd be ripping the equipment apart of our mods, so they could pass muster. Hell, I even remember where we buried all that "EXTRA" stuff we aquired. :twisted: Some day, someones gonna dig up that stuff and wonder "What the hell?" :twisted:

So BOTH front seats tip? Makes sense I guess. Unfortunately, I'm already crippled before I get in, so when I get out, well the Mrs says I remind her of a great ape walking upright. :lol: That's why I plan on replacing the drivers seat in the Beast with a reeeeal comfy 6 way power bucket.

I ALWAYS catch hell from the purists, but to bad, so sad. When I got the Beast, it already had MAJOR mods to it, and they all work great, so why rip em out? I don't portray it as an original, and am trying to at least make it look as original as possible on the outside only. With the interior, I'll try best as I can to give the "Illusion" of bein original.

Hopefully in the future, we'll be able to do another Carryall as Historically Accurate. :? We got this strictly for fun, and as a way for me & Maynard to bond as I can't do the normal father/son junk. We acctually had no clue what so ever as to the depth of this hobby when we 1st started. :shock:

Now, well my/our most recent acquisition is a FM about map reading dated 1942. It even came with a map of the coastal areas of the US. COOL! :thumbup: Maynard was always a big WW II buff, and that has grown since we got the Beast. He now has enough gear (or kit as you folk across the pond say) to go out in the field for a week or so (all circa WW II). :lol: He now wants to get into reenacting. However, he REALLY wants some weapons, and I just ain't to eager to comply with that wish. :wink: :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Jim_n_Tx
Corporal
Corporal

WC-54 Seats

Post by Jim_n_Tx »

I don't know about the carryall seats, but the driver and attendent seats in the WC-54 were installed, along with the body, by Wayne Works. Wayne apparently used the seat construction methods that they were familiar with (and had parts for). This included leather seat material until the edict that all military vehicle seats be canvas. As far as I know, the WC-54 seats were unique among the 3/4 ton WC's.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Jim Tex:

Or I could go with Tex Jim, which do ya prefer? :? Anywho, the Carryall was assembled by Proctor Keefer (I think it's Keefer, I had that all but lost it when the computer crashed & my memory's gone to crap). Main components were sent along from my understanding, or they all (as in the coach builders) had a common suppliers arranged by or thru Dodge.

Steve:

In the very 1st picture that Sylvia posted for ya, the passenger seat looks as if it has an armrest on the left side.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Steve
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Steve »

Ugg - I see what you mean, however there is no armrest I can assure you. I was surprised that both seats tipped as well, seemed quite advanced for a miltary vehicle of the 40's, I certainly had seen nothing like it before on any US vehicle of WWII vintage. I even had someone who came to see eveline disputing they were correct because of the leatherette, they told me that it was a Norweigan improvement. Boy were they surprised when I showed them the TM. Steve
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Steve:

There was a discussion about that before here at this very site. I forget the actual name it was called, but similar to leatherette. I guess that picture bears out what William Randolph Hurst said about believing nothing you read and only half of what ya see. :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Florence
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Florence »

Have you heard of the tradition of notching the steering wheel if a casualty died? Katy appears to have 3 on her wheel.
Tony, no I have not heard of that - very interesting and I directly searched on Florence steering wheel. Could not find any markings.
However my steering wheel has much deep scratches in the middle like someone did destroy the surface with a rough glass paper or something like that - don't know why.

Greetings
Sylvia
WC58 - 4229/933 July 1942 - Commander George
http://www.command-car.com
Dedicated to Dodge Command Car and Dodge Ambulance of WW2

Dodge Build Card collection:
http://www.command-car.com/technik/tech ... cards.html
OKMOTORPOOL
Private

Post by OKMOTORPOOL »

Sylvia,
Is the photo you posted of the ambulance interior with the painting of the nude on the ceiling an original or a restored ambulance? What is the box mounted on the wall behind the driver's head?
Florence
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Florence »

Hi,
sorry, I absolutely don't know where I found that Photo (some time ago somewehere in the www). There was no special describtion or date.
Also don't know what the box is for.
Greetings
Sylvia
WC58 - 4229/933 July 1942 - Commander George
http://www.command-car.com
Dedicated to Dodge Command Car and Dodge Ambulance of WW2

Dodge Build Card collection:
http://www.command-car.com/technik/tech ... cards.html
OKMOTORPOOL
Private

Post by OKMOTORPOOL »

There is a similar box shown in a restored ambulance pictured in "Dodge Trucks in Detail". Someone once told me that a kit for gas casualties was mounted there, but I do not know for sure.
If you are interested, photos of my WC-54 are at http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/ ... ambulance/
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
My garage: current owner of a WC 9, WC 12, 2 K38s, USMC Willys MB Holden Ambulance, 1943 USMC Willys NOM 12 radio jeep ,wc 27, Cushman package kar, m6 bomb truck, m5 bomb trailer, m1 bomb truck, Ben hur trailer and a few more things

Post by wc 9 and 12 owner »

heres my piece of flooring
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sgtpeter
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by sgtpeter »

Thanks for posting the pics Mark. Is the middle pic the bottom?

At some time, I remember seeing a Body by Wayne Works data plate. Does anyone have more info about the plate? Was there such a plate on the WC54? Where would it go?
Peter

1943 WC54
piles of smelly green stuff
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
My garage: current owner of a WC 9, WC 12, 2 K38s, USMC Willys MB Holden Ambulance, 1943 USMC Willys NOM 12 radio jeep ,wc 27, Cushman package kar, m6 bomb truck, m5 bomb trailer, m1 bomb truck, Ben hur trailer and a few more things

Post by wc 9 and 12 owner »

ya its the bottom of the flooring. i wish i had saved more. sgt peter email me