Winterization Kit

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
martylee
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Winter kit.

Post by martylee »

Hi!

Both our Dodges were fitted with a complete winterkit when we bought them. Since we don't drive that much during the winter and the fact that this kit blocks the view of the road, we decided not to use them. They're just put in the garage. I've enclosed a couple of photos to show what they look like. This one has been painted in camo.

Marty

Ps.com - Ugg, I haven't forgotten about your request, just been really busy.
Cookin' a meal with power and steel...
jeep44
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jeep44 »

Here is a photo I found at an antique arms show last Sunday. It was an original 8x10 that had unfortunately been torn on one corner. The caption on the back read " ETO HQ 45 15679 25 feb
credit...US Army Signal Corps
Photog-T/5 HM Roberts 165
Medics of the 104th Division,1st US Army,look at the remains of one of their 3/4 ton trucks after it was hit by a Nazi shell in Arnoldsweiler,Germany

329 Medic (This was censored out with a blue pencil),104th Div,FUSA,Arnoldsweiler,Germany

Censor stamp-27 Feb 1945

I posted it big because it is so rich in interesting details-like the winter cab enclosure. Note the crudely done stencil of "TP 40" on the front of the cowl, and the lug wrench behind the men removing a tire from the wrecked dodge

Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Now that would be some restoration :!: One thing strikes me as odd the handle is to the front, though I suppose thst carried on from the car style at the time. :? The tyre taking is intresting, they were in very short supply so anything was grabbed at any oppertunity. I have seen pictures of tyre walls bolted together, try getting that through an MOT test.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
jeep44
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jeep44 »

They probably needed the tire for the Dodge at the left of the photo. I just noticed as I looked at this photo today-Isn't that a wire cutter on that same Dodge you can just see to the left?
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Could well be Jeep, looking at the picture the vehicle has come off quite lightly. Axles and drive shafts look intact, body panels are probably a bit dented. I'll lay odds the salvage squad had it appart for spares. A demonstration of the US greatest contribution to WW2, commonality. If it had been a British truck there were dozens of diffrent types. I met a couple of old guys at the 60th Normandy commemarations who had started thier transport buissness by salvage a dozen wrecked trucks and getting three to work.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

I wonder what kinda trailer that is? :?

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
halifaxgroup
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by halifaxgroup »

That is an outstanding picture. Notice that the vehicle on the left has a blackout lens cover on the main headlamp.
1944 WC-51
1944 WC-62
1943 M-20
G-518 Ben Hur
1943 352 CCKW
M-55 Quad Mount
1942 WC-53 Carryall (Not running)
1943 Water Ben Hur (Needs total restoration)
1944 M-14 Directors Trailer
halifaxgroup
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by halifaxgroup »

I just noticed that there are stretcher handle ends sticking out of the dirt that was thown into the trailer. Looks like a standard MBT trailer modified with some high sides for the Medic's gear.
Notice the dirt on the building.
1944 WC-51
1944 WC-62
1943 M-20
G-518 Ben Hur
1943 352 CCKW
M-55 Quad Mount
1942 WC-53 Carryall (Not running)
1943 Water Ben Hur (Needs total restoration)
1944 M-14 Directors Trailer