Old WC's never die - they just move on! :-)

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC51 built 1942. Former 4x4 MV: Dodge WC52, LR 109 ex MOD FFR (fitted for radio) Series IIA and Series III, Series III Stage1 V8 with Ambulance Body (ex. MOD), Series II 88 ex. BGS (German Border Patrol).

Re: Old WC's never die - they just move on! :-)

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

while touring across the Hurtgen Forest I visited the Nazi Ordensburg Vogelsang, today iformation Center of the Eifel National Park incl. an exhibition on the history of the Nazi regime.
The Vogelsang complex became after WW2 a Belgian Garrison and was handed over to the German goverment in 2006 after the closing of the Garrison.
Today is the complex with about 50,000 square meters with buildings the largest existent Nazi building complex (beside of Prora at the Baltic Sea).

Find my photos here: http://www.steel-toys.com/NSOV16/

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC51 built 1942. Former 4x4 MV: Dodge WC52, LR 109 ex MOD FFR (fitted for radio) Series IIA and Series III, Series III Stage1 V8 with Ambulance Body (ex. MOD), Series II 88 ex. BGS (German Border Patrol).

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

the latest Ciney photos are now online:

http://www.steel-toys.com/C16B/

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim

12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

after 5 month's in Belgium my trailer is finally repaired and my Dodge and the trailer back!

So the trailer has now 2 new axles + new brake drums on the third axle and will work for the next years "as it should".

Feels like an XL relief and now I can start on some minor repairs to get the old battle-horse ready for the upcoming season. :D

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
Last edited by 12th Air Force on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Sometimes you have to be lucky: I could find an original dash light knob for my WC51 - so I can now get rid of the lousy repro knob (wrong color), that I had for years.
That thing was always "stinging" in my eyes and I'm glad to replace it soon with the original one.
Sounds like a luxury-problem to many of you? It is, but after the rebuilt you have often such compromises, that "survive by mistake" for years... :mrgreen:

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

I updated my MV Events photo listing with more fresh 2017 "OD Events".
Find all listed up here (scroll to the bottom of the page): http://www.steel-toys.com/Events.html

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim

12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

I love the smell of aviation fuel in the morning... 8)

Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

great pics thanks for posting :thumbup:
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Kaegi wrote:great pics thanks for posting :thumbup:
Feel free to see all Gelnhausen Air Show photos here: http://www.steel-toys.com/FKG17/
Note: Click on "next image" on top, to open each next photo).

We are as WW2 MV collectors only a small group, but we cooperate with other Clubs and Associations in our region and this is one of the nice results.

- You have just to find folk's that share the same "spirit". :-)

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

just to share those images: coming back from the 31. Pinkstertreffen of the Pattondrivers Club we choosed the way home via the Ardennes, to see the Malmedy memorial.
That's the memorial for 84 American POW that were killed by their German captors of the SS Kampfgruppe Peiper on Dec. 17, 1944 at Baugnez crossroads.
- A sad chapter of WW2 and a shame for the German Forces involved, breaking with own rules of honor (all details can be found at Wikipedia).

Next to it you can find the Baugez '44 Museum, sister to the La Gleize Museum (under same ownership, about 30 km from Malmedy).

Find the memorial photos here (incl. some b/w photos from Dec. 1944): http://www.steel-toys.com/MAL17/

Lest we forget,

Joakim

Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

The horror of WWII could most likely have been avoided if the French, the British, the Belgians etc had done what needed to be done in the 1930's to stop a certain madman. Sadly, that was not done. :thumbdown:
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

That's correct. Today we know, that appeasement does not work if you are dealing with dictators (as the ones in G, RUS and I).
Even today some folk's think that way - with disastrous results in many "hot spots" throughout the world. :-(

Without becoming too political or moral sour: I believe that we should preserve historic MV for generations to come, to give them a chance to learn from the mistakes of the past.
But: looking at some of those political ("civil war") hot spots today I wonder, if mankind is really willed to learn from the past, making the same mistakes over and over again...

And yes, this is a "off topic". I dont think, that we as simple MV owners can change the world. :roll:
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Ordered at the NL for a hell of a money a repro Dodge WC early type badge for my Dodge.
It's a flat version, but better than nothing. My WC51 is a early production one and has been rebuilt with many late production parts, so this badge is missing since decades...

Actually the front is looking like that (badge missing) and I have to check if the radiator cover has inside the original drilling holes for the badge, so that I can place it on the correct position.

12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

so the Dodge badge project is finished now.

It's great to see, that this early model 1942 built Dodge has it's identity back! :D

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim

12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Nothing to do on a rainy day?

Then I recommend to clean some NOS parts like those U-Joints. The Wax is even in the needle bearings, so you have to clean each needle - one by one... :roll:

So Here you see about 2 h. work /from condition left to right). :thumbdown:

But: Only the result matters...

12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

And if it is still raining (as over here since weeks) you should exchange U-Joints that have no grease nipples anymore (thank's to previous owners...)!