Old WC's never die - they just move on! :-)

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
maigaard
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 1944 Dodge WC-52

Re: Old WC's never die - they just move on! :-)

Post by maigaard »

Isn't that screw supposed to be welded on after adjustment ? Mine's welded, and in TM9-1808B it says to "Break the weld on the drive gear thrust pad screw and nut" when disassembling the diff.

IF we're talking about the same screw, that is :?: And maybe it differs on early/late type diffs ?

/Peter
1944 Dodge WC-52
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC51 built 1942. Former 4x4 MV: Dodge WC52, LR 109 ex MOD FFR (fitted for radio) Series IIA and Series III, Series III Stage1 V8 with Ambulance Body (ex. MOD), Series II 88 ex. BGS (German Border Patrol).

Post by 12th Air Force »

Well, on my one was never ever any welding spot. Screw end and movement-limiter are both untouched (or: untorched). :mrgreen:

No, in fact it is impossible to access this point for welding both parts together. Fitting would not work either from my point of view.
The construction is so designed, that the screw and the limiter are working like a hinge and can move a bit within certain limits, to avoid wearout.

BUT: The Nut, that keeps the screw of the adjustment mechanism on the outside of the Diff. in place, is kept in place with a massive welding spot. But it would not make sense to try to get it off (see above).
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC51 built 1942. Former 4x4 MV: Dodge WC52, LR 109 ex MOD FFR (fitted for radio) Series IIA and Series III, Series III Stage1 V8 with Ambulance Body (ex. MOD), Series II 88 ex. BGS (German Border Patrol).

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

so my rear axle is repaired and the Dodge was finished "just in time" thank's to spares supply by Michael Korst from the NL.
I had only a short 10 km test drive before the "long distance test drive" to Linz am Rhein and back. Overall 400 km!

The Dodge worked like a clock and thank's to the NOS cylinder head with it's original compression ratio was the oil consumption much smaller than it has been before (only about a 1/4!!!). All rear axle gaskets have been "glued" in place with Hylomar (approved by Rolls Royce) and up to now there are no oil leaks visible. :thumbup:

The Mission last weekend was the Jump & Jive BBQ at the historic Hotel Weinstock at Linz am Rhein, only 5 km from Remagen and it's legendary bridge.

Organized the second time by the GI Jive Band it's a small and very "stylish" 1940ies Vintage Car and Swing Music Event, with dancing and live Bands in the 1920ies Ballroom of the Hotel in the Evening.

We have been there with some friends incl. an J**p, an 1955 Buick and my Dodge (car no. 4 was not finished in time...).
The weather was not the best and we had for several day's ongoing thunderstorms and heavy rain with flooding's in some areas - so that many vintage car owners stayed at home with their beauties. So - sad to say so - overall we had only about 30 vintage cars in place.

All of us have been impressed of the outstanding organization, that included BBQ, Vintage Fashion show, make-up artists for the Ladies and several traders for 1940ies Dresses, Hat's and accessories. The main act of the GI Jive Band was fun too - also, because the Band with it's 8 members appeared again in their 1940ies US Army Uniforms on stage. :D

So - if we don't drive to Normandy - we all decided to return to Linz again next year. :thumbup:

Here some black&white impressions of the Event:

http://www.steel-toys.com/Linz16/
Notice: click on "next image" on top to open each next photo (43 overall).

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim

12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

The Victory Jump & Jive BBQ in the press:

http://www.general-anzeiger-bonn.de/reg ... 74036.html

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim

12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Next year we will hopefully have more MV then only folk's in US Army WW2 Uniforms in place. :-)

12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

lousy weather can't stop Dodge owner or Air-Show Pilots! :mrgreen:

Here some impressions of our visit at the Fly-In at Gelnhausen (G).

Link: http://www.steel-toys.com/FKG16/

Keep 'em Rooling (and Flying),

Joakim

The only flying ME 108 in the world!

Visitor from Switzerland: JU-52

Red Bull veteran Walter Eichhorn and his T-6. Notice: He is 80!!! :shock:

12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

sometimes you have to be lucky: last Sat. it was raining cat's and dog's - but then on Sun. we had perfect conditions vor our small convoy tour to the 16. Klassikertreffen at the historic Opel Villas at Rüsselsheim.

The annual vintage car Event is organized by the Opel Company (GM) and the City of Rüsselsheim and today the largest of it's kind in our State of Hesse: more than 3,000 vintage cars and 30,000 spectators in place.

We had again a small display area with 9 MV in place and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and the sun.
Very nice was the visit of the ladies band "The Wonderfrolleins", that played for a while in front of our USMVC Club area.

About 65 photos are now online and can be found here: http://www.steel-toys.com/OV16/
As usual: click on "next image" to open each next photo.

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim

vario
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: 1942 WC-54 Ambulance

Post by vario »

Thanks for the pics and the planning, Joakim.
12th Air Force wrote:Very nice was the visit of the ladies band "The Wonderfrolleins", that played for a while in front of our USMVC Club area.
Videoclip of them in front of Fritz' Oldsmobile here: Click me!

Ulrich
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Next chance to join a tour with us:

12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

last weekend I had the chance again to work on the rebuilt of my aircraft carrier:

Parallel to this my colleague invested in a brand new auto lift - with 4 t. cap. :thumbup:
So working on the Dodge will be a bit easier in the future. :-)

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
Last edited by 12th Air Force on Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
beepbeep
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1944 WC51

Post by beepbeep »

Looking good Joakim, looks like a new trailer :thumbup:

Chris
1944 WC51
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

beepbeep wrote:Looking good Joakim, looks like a new trailer :thumbup:

Chris
Hi Chris,

yes, some spares, new bits and TLC helps a lot. Hopefully it will be finished for Tanks in Town...

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

so this is the actual stage of the flattop-project:

Sad to say so: the support bracket for the jack with the wheel in the front was not able to handle the weight of the trailer, so that we have now to re-design and to replace it with a stronger version. As always: sometimes you win - sometimes you loose...

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

we got some additional photos from the photographer Sascha Furck on our display at the 16. Klassikertreffen at Rüsselsheim.

Link: http://www.steel-toys.com/Furck16/

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim

12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

sometimes you win - sometimes you loose: Last Sunday was such a typical day...
...while working on my trailer I had to recognize that my Dodge was standing with the right rear wheel in a growing pond of oil. :thumbdown:
Source was a damaged oil seal of the wheel hub. So now the parts arrived from my preferred dealer in France and that oil seal can be replaced.
To be continued...

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim