From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Skyrookie
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: dodge WC-51 '43

Re: My new DODGE WC-51 '43

Post by Skyrookie »

Hello All,

Seems ages ago i updated my topic :-) ;but i bought a house a while ago, wich also need a ground up overhaul so most, if not all of my time goes to that :D

but here are the latest updates :

chassis and some more parts metalized and OD painted + i put some extra layer of wax in the crossmembers so they won't rust the next 150 years :D

Sorted out all bolts nuts and washers ... and tagged them :-)

I also let this tool lasercut by a company nearby, still need to weld on a handlebar etc...

It is the wrench to hold the companion flange when losening the nut
Tool number 41-W-1978-950
I have an autocad DWG of it if anyone is interested... I do need to make a small adjustment on the circle radius, because the number given in the TM9-1808B is a bit too tight. So i had to grind a bit off from my tool.

And last but not least...a milestone in my restoration!!!...after a full year i finally am putting back together the chassis :D :D

rear bumpers and tailight holders are on

Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Jim M »

and thus you have been inducted to the world of Dodge WCs!
When I picked mine up, I had the same problem of crossmember rot! But luckily the gentleman I got mine from had one already in the bed of the WC for me. The real trick was taking he bed off and then getting the damn crossmember off. Lots of grinding/drilling and swearing :lol:
After we replace the member, we drilled drain holes at the lower end of each side to prevent this from happening again (we hope). But was a good excuse to do a rebuild of the WC and learn all of its secrets :thumb up:
took over a year, part time, to do it. But was well worth every minute of the work. Came out looking cry good and I am very happy with it The only thing not GI on mine is the bed of the cargo area and the carb. She looks and run well, so I am very happy and have not plans of changing either out any time soon.
Picked up a Dodge WC 56 several years ago and this is my new project. Glad I saved the left over pets from the -51!

Good look with your new toy and do have fun with it! It will ll be worth the time and effort when you get done!

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC51 built 1942. Former 4x4 MV: Dodge WC52, LR 109 ex MOD FFR (fitted for radio) Series IIA and Series III, Series III Stage1 V8 with Ambulance Body (ex. MOD), Series II 88 ex. BGS (German Border Patrol).

Post by 12th Air Force »

Compliments my friend! :D

The mount for the frame is a great idea. :thumbup:
Assembling the frame that way is a cool solution and "quite backbone friendly" as well.
Good luck with it and keep us updated on the progress of your project!

Keep 'em rolling (hopefully your frame is rollint too soon),

Joakim
Skyrookie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Skyrookie »

Some more updates :

Rear axle has been put under the chassis...damn these thing are insanly heavy ! :lol:

And i put some more bits and pieces onto the frame :

next step...front suspension and axle + all wheels

greetz,
Davy
G. Miskovsky
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 WC-51, 1943 Ben Hur

Post by G. Miskovsky »

My early 42' doesn't have them either. that is the bed corner pressings.
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!
Gus

'42 WC-51, '43 Ben Hur
Skyrookie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Skyrookie »

Ok so inbetween doing a second job and rebuilding my house...i found some time to do some more work on the dodge :mrgreen:

front springs are completely renewed new bushings,pins etc...

rear shock absorbers internal and external renewed and put in place :

radiator holder has been put in place again :

front axle all new bushings and seals

for the drive shaft seals i used the double lip design i got from DC parts. I have no idea if these are better then standard single lip seals; so it's sort of an experiment for me :-) ; anyone uses the same ?

and some more front axle parts and other stuff painted :

Next step will be overhauling the front diff and remounting the front axle;so I can reassemble it and put on front bumper etc....

greetz,
Davy
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,Day Davy . That way of mounting the chassie is brilliant ,. Two cheap engine mounts . It would also be a cheap way of making a rottiserie .. Just cut and extend the upright part of the stand {,Maybe sleeve and pin so that you could restore it back to a engine stand if needed in the future} so that the chassie / frame could swing right over. Very clever . Good work . Ray
Skyrookie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Skyrookie »

Hello Ray;

Yes it is indeed a very cheap solution :-) and yes if the front axle is in place i will rework the stands so i can use em as rotisserie for the next dodge chassis :lol: .
Skyrookie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Skyrookie »

Had some more dodge time today and put in the front axle

greetz,
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC51 built 1942. Former 4x4 MV: Dodge WC52, LR 109 ex MOD FFR (fitted for radio) Series IIA and Series III, Series III Stage1 V8 with Ambulance Body (ex. MOD), Series II 88 ex. BGS (German Border Patrol).

Post by 12th Air Force »

WOW!
Great step's - esp. with the other XXL brickstone puzzle as an ongoing "sideshow". :thumbup:
- But as I thought before: your day's in Belgium must have 28 h. something?!!!? :mrgreen:

Keep on doing,

Joakim
Skyrookie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Skyrookie »

@ jojo more like 48 hours ;-)

Today put on the front bumper...starts to look like a dodge again :lol:

Skyrookie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Skyrookie »

Hello all;

some more updates on the dodge :

front axle is fully overhauled + new brake support plates and steering knuckles

next step... overhauling the steering gear assembly :

With what is the gear assembly normally filled ? grease or oil ?...mine was full of ugly grease :-(

As a little side project, I made my own homemade galvanising bath...first tests are promising :-)

Bolt was submerged @ 6V-2.5A for 1 hour (12V is better,but the ampmeter on my charger went bananas at 12V :-) )
It is a first test and i still need to figure out how long it takes to get a decend layer of zinc on the pieces.

that's all for now :-)
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Great progress you are making. Looking good! :thumbup:
Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
Skyrookie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Skyrookie »

Latest update from the dodge front :D

I overhauled all four wheelbrake pistons... I found an oversize overhaulkit from the JEEP-DODGE-GMC partsdealer (France).
Since the innerwalls weren't to bad coroded i just let them bore out to the oversized pistons sizes

As soon as they are painted on the outside, they will go in :-)

Next on the list was cleaning and zinc coating the steeringhouse

I have ordered a new set of gaskets (coark) but i am thinking of letting them make in rubber, as I saw that the small coark gasket on my steering house had completely desintegrated and I think that was the reason they used grease in it...

And today I finally managed to put on the front wheel hubs... all new bearings and cups etc...

BUT guys this is the point were I need some advice....

How hard is it to turn the front axle hubs when everything is installed (execpt wheels and brakedrums) ??? For the right side wheel hub, I have to apply a (let's say) "normal" amount of force... But to rotate the LEFT wheel hub, I have to apply a hugh amount of force !? And I mean really a lot!
Between every part install I rotated everything to make sure everything ran smooth.Which it did, but in the end when everything is installed...It's really hard to rotate it comparing to the rear axle; but I guess that's because the rear axle has lot les moving parts than the front axle?
A small sidenote... the diff's do need to be filled up with the proper oil, but all the rest is greased and lubricated as needed.

I have a bad feeling about it and just want to be sure...

That's all for the moment :-)
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hi Davy,

if I remember the Austrian Bundesheer TM right:
first tightening of the wheel bearing nut until you can't move the hub...
...and then make it loose again about a 1/6 turn of the nut again.

It is then moving in the beginning not as easy as you might think because of the new oil seals, grease inside etc.
- so don't get irritated. :thumbup:

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim