Old WC's never die - they just move on! :-)

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC51 built 1942. Former 4x4 MV: Dodge WC52, LR 109 ex MOD FFR (fitted for radio) Series IIA and Series III, Series III Stage1 V8 with Ambulance Body (ex. MOD), Series II 88 ex. BGS (German Border Patrol).

Re: Old WC's never die - they just move on! :-)

Post by 12th Air Force »

X-Mas part 2:

I should mention my latest additions for my WW2 collection:

I have not been at Bastogne this December because I decided to stay at home to save some money...
...and bought on that Sunday "by chance" an BC M1965 field telescope (WW2 production) with all parts in the original boxes for 250,- Euros from a collector at Kassel. So I drove to Kassel on that day (200 km one way), had some good collectors talks (his friend is owning a WC52 and an WC56!) and returned with that pile of stuff back home late in the evening.
- So much about saving money.... :mrgreen:
So I have now a complete telescope in good condition as decoration for my Dodge and a second for spares overall. :D
Next thing is then to refurbish the wooden transport boxes in spring.

I've been with Michael (the owner of the nice Navy Grey Jeep) and his son on Wednesday at the Army-Shop nearby Hammelburg, for some X-Mas shopping for ourselves. *grin*

Michael bought two folding canvas cot's, WW2 production, in a very good condition for 20,- Euros each and I could find two 155 mm Long Tom cartridge container in good condition for 15,- Euro each. They have Bundeswehr markings from the 1960ies, but are original WW2 US production. Great decoration stuff. :-)

Even better: The Army in Greece is selling since two years or so all of their WW2 US made equipment. So they had WW2 canvas combat field pack's in used (bad) condition with issue date 1945 for 10,- Euros - and NOS ones (!!!) for 40,- Euros.
- Never ever seen them as NOS and condition was mint, so I had to buy two of them (but could not afford more). So my old ones (from the Greece Army too) are now replaced with them and "at eBay" 4sale. :lol:

Well, sometimes you have to be lucky: in another cargo box they had NOS M1945 canvas cargo pack's for 15,- Euro only! :-)
So I bought two of them too. They are in the original WW2 design, but dated 1951 and in mint condition too. :thumbup:

The Greece Army is the last Army in Europe that was having WW2 US Army gear in active service and when this material is sold off it's gone. So it's a sort of "chance of a lifetime" and you have to "get what you can", before it's gone. :-)

So the smell of "fresh NOS canvas" is filling half of my flat at X-Mas and I think I have to get me a new glass cabinet for display of those finds soon. :lol:

Merry Christmas to all of you,

Joakim

12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC51 built 1942. Former 4x4 MV: Dodge WC52, LR 109 ex MOD FFR (fitted for radio) Series IIA and Series III, Series III Stage1 V8 with Ambulance Body (ex. MOD), Series II 88 ex. BGS (German Border Patrol).

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

the date for the USMVC e.V. Camp at Bockenau is now fixed too:

Last edited by 12th Air Force on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

thank's to my old friend Dave I'm now a new proud member of the Military Vehicle Collectors of California Association (MVCC). :thumbup:

Great Club with outstanding MV. :)

Thank's Dave! :thumbup:

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim

12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

09.-10.04.2016
USMVC e.V. MV tour "Operation Silent Crossing 2016", starting at D-55411 Bingen (G)

MV tour on the traces of the river Rhine Crossing of General Patton in March 1945. The tour is organized by the USMVC e.V., one of the oldest MV collectors Club's in Germany and starting at the former Hindenburg Bridge at Bingen (sister to the Bridge at Remagen), then going thru the vine area around Mainz, passing Dexheim and it's former Anderson Barrack's of "the mighty 1st" (Old Ironsides) and ending at Nierstein, south of Mainz. Here on the 22.03.1945 the "Operation Silent Crossing" took place and Patton pissed into the Rhine from the Ponton Bridge after having been the first over the Rhine and "slapping Montgomery in the face" that way.
From Nierstein the Convoy will proceed to the Village of Bogel (close to St. Goar) and it's site for the overnight Camp.
Details will follow lateron (see USMVC homepage): http://www.usmvc.eu
Flyer: http://www.steel-toys.com/Div/Flyer_USM ... en_2sm.jpg

Last edited by 12th Air Force on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

it's a while since I have posted some photos on my latest work. So I bought a pair of HD Mini-Cat ramps made of alloy for my aircraft carrier project, as well as new fold down jack's for the rear to replace the rotten and damaged old ones.

So the project is now on the final mile- :-)

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim

12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

just to mention this: I had to recognize that here at the Forum the activities are going down more and more and had to learn that many Forum members have switched to the bloody NSA sponsored f.u.c.k.book. :evil:

So it seems that I have to follow the stupid herd and registred at fb lately as well. Or in other words: I was forced to join the dark side of the Force because of this. Otherwise I'm afraid to end up here as Robinson Crusoe. :thumbdown:

Anyhow: Sometimes even the dark side has some nice surpises at han. So I found a nice batch of photos on my first Dodge (R.I.P. in Russia). Here is the link: http://www.steel-toys.com/HDF12_b

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

PS: And just in addition one of the latest photos of this monthly US-Car meeting at the Harley Factory Frankfurt, organized by the Street Rats Frankfurt US-Car & Bike Club:

zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

12th Air Force wrote:Hello Folk's,

just to mention this: I had to recognize that here at the Forum the activities are going down more and more and had to learn that many Forum members have switched to the bloody NSA sponsored f.u.c.k.book. :evil:

So it seems that I have to follow the stupid herd and registred at fb lately as well. Or in other words: I was forced to join the dark side of the Force because of this. Otherwise I'm afraid to end up here as Robinson Crusoe. :thumbdown:

Anyhow: Sometimes even the dark side has some nice surpises at han. So I found a nice batch of photos on my first Dodge (R.I.P. in Russia). Here is the link: http://www.steel-toys.com/HDF12_b

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim

I have noticed that as well, but don't like it as there is no order to FB. If so, I am lost still. I did see you have come over to the dark side. I will send you a friend request. I don't post on FB, but I am a member. I try to make it interesting here, but may need to bail eventually. As the old guard ages out FB will take over. Now my wife, it is her life and hobby. If it wasn't for FB she probably wouldn't get out of bed. :shock:
Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hi Zeph,

well, I see it very much your way. But I deeply believe that fb can't replace an traditional platform as this Forum and all the informations it offers.
It can't replace a traditional club hp as the MVPA or MVCC site, with shop, e-papers etc. as well.

I think every media has it's pro's & con's and fb might be okay for a quick message exchange or posting an Event, or photo, but in the end is fb for me just a sort of add-on. Simply "another communication channel". that is today en vogue. Who know's what media will replace fb in the future...???

Complex data collections - as our serial-no. collection, MV Event planner etc. - are simply not a "core competence" of fb.
- So I will stick with the Forum - as the other more conservative users do. So you will join me as Friday on this virtual Forum Island. :-)
That's a good news (just to stick with the Robinsoe Crusoe picture). :-)

And (by the way) someone at fb blamed us here at the Forum to be an sort of "arrogant herd of self made Dodge godfathers". I use a bit different words, but someone seemed esp. not to be satisfied with our admin. I can't support that point of view, because Gordon is doing a great job for all of us and is allways at hand when you need some sort of support (thank's for that from my side!).

Zeph, you are very welcome to add me to your friends at fb. Just send me a pm (look for "Steinweden"). I have some of my Dodge photos uploaded there as well and I use it only for the "OD stuff" to keep the NSA servers busy. :-)

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

coming back to Dodge stuff: I bought at the Bay an NOS rear prop.-shaft for my WC51. One of the deals that have to be done "quick & dirty" because you don't know when you ever will have the chance to get such a part. :-)

So next thing is to hand it over to GKN-Driveline Service nearby to get it balanced and then to respay it. Normaly you don't need it if you drive your Dodge at moderate speed, but I drive it a lot at high speed on the Autobahn and so the balancing makes really sense in my case. :thumbup:

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim

zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Funny, I checked last evening and we are already friends on FB. Don't remember when that happened as I don't think I have ever sent a "friend request" before. You likely beat me to it. :thumbup:
Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

*Haha* Funny circumstance. :mrgreen:
I think it was because of one of your photos.

As I allways say: the virtual world is a very small village. :D

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

I just realized that I did not update my WC51 photo bucket. So I added 32 fresh 2015 photos (now 104 overall).
Link: http://www.steel-toys.com/WC51

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim

superdave
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: M135, M37, M43, M151, M152, M275A2, M35A2, Gamma Goat, 1942 MK1 Bren gun Carrier, Laylend Daf. Iltis WC54 WC52

Post by superdave »

Great bunch of pictures, Thanks for sharing them. Looks like you have a lot of great turnouts for the events.
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

So I'm part of an arrogant herd of self made Dodge godfathers? Who'd have thought it? :shock:
Makes you wonder what sort of distorted lens the fellow is looking through that he can make such a judgement. :roll:
Looks like it may be an arrogant one as the contributors on here seem a pretty reasonable bunch to me. :thumbup:
I don't post much but have been fairly active on the Dodge front having got my replica WC57 on the road a few months ago.
The vehicle started life as a WC52 but having the alternative to build it up as a CC using a locally made body tub I opted for that. Being a replica I didn't hesitate to incorporate a few changes to original specs. The most obvious is the rear seat being raised over 100 mm and moved forward 170 mm. This doubles the boot space and puts back seat passengers in a better position to see and be seen. 4.89 differentials were installed as was a two speed transfer case out of a 6x6. The truck is very nice to drive and was taken on a run of over 1,000 km not long after completion without any significant problems.

David