Old WC's never die - they just move on! :-)

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC51 built 1942. Former 4x4 MV: Dodge WC52, LR 109 ex MOD FFR (fitted for radio) Series IIA and Series III, Series III Stage1 V8 with Ambulance Body (ex. MOD), Series II 88 ex. BGS (German Border Patrol).

Re: Old WC's never die - they just move on! :-)

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

I finished today another small sideshow project: WW2 style Dog Tag's with a 1940 style chain.
The fellow that made it has an original machine with the correct typo and followed exactly my design advice based on an original WW2 one from my collection. So this will make my uniform for Tanks in Town next weekend complete.
Look's pretty nice:

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
Last edited by 12th Air Force on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC51 built 1942. Former 4x4 MV: Dodge WC52, LR 109 ex MOD FFR (fitted for radio) Series IIA and Series III, Series III Stage1 V8 with Ambulance Body (ex. MOD), Series II 88 ex. BGS (German Border Patrol).

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

next project finished: the last two missing lazy back chains are now with new canvas in place:

5 Day's left to Tanks in Town 2015...

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
G. Miskovsky
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 WC-51, 1943 Ben Hur

Post by G. Miskovsky »

Joakim,

Interesting fact....I wear a set of notched dog tags that were issued to me when I was a CPT in the 82nd. Somebody must have found a box of WWII blank tags in supply and when I needed a second set that is what they issued . Circa 1998.
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!
Gus

'42 WC-51, '43 Ben Hur
ziro
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: Dodge WC56

Post by ziro »

Why is your radiator cap black? :shock:

ziro :D
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

ziro wrote:Why is your radiator cap black? :shock:

ziro :D
That's "thank's" to the radiator service company that resprayed it all black - incl. the cap - after the ground up repair. :roll:
And to be honest - I did not care about that detail up to now because I had the function in focus first. :D

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

G. Miskovsky wrote:Joakim,

Interesting fact....I wear a set of notched dog tags that were issued to me when I was a CPT in the 82nd. Somebody must have found a box of WWII blank tags in supply and when I needed a second set that is what they issued . Circa 1998.
Hi Gus,

yes, it seems to be that way, that blank dog tags "pop up" from time to time. I have seen lately a bundle of about 12-14 WW2 style ones at eBay. But it's harder to get the early style chain.
As far as I know is there no supplier for them in old Europe and I know only one supplier for them as a good stainles steel repro in the States.

Any news from your Dodge?
Do you have it now in your driveway and did you have the chance to drive it again?

I'm preparing my Dodge for next weekend: Tanks in Town in Belgium will be an outstanding MV Event again. :thumbup:
Photos from last year can you see here: http://www.steel-toys.com/TiT14b/

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
G. Miskovsky
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by G. Miskovsky »

Joakim,

Yes I do have her now. Me and my Father pulled her from Texas to Maryland, really long trip. I think next move I will hire a car carrier to do it!

I take her out when I can, usually on a Sunday, but at a minimum I crank her up and pull a little maintenance. Time is a short commodity as a Brigade commander!

I want to eventually put new tires on her and replace the German Continentals that I got from White Owl in North Carolina.
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!
Gus

'42 WC-51, '43 Ben Hur
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Use her for work, and charge the company! :twisted:
She'd be more use than a HUMMER. You can get more in.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

G. Miskovsky wrote:
I want to eventually put new tires on her and replace the German Continentals that I got from White Owl in North Carolina.
Hi Gus,

Conti? :shock: How old are they?
Conti, Michelin and Goodyear NDT tires are since years out of production over here. Sad to say so, but all European manufacturers stopped the production of NDT tires and actually the only new ones at hand are with the NATO pattern (made by Bridgestone?).
Even remanufactured ones as from Gummi Meyer and other Companies are out of production as well as the great Michelin "X" series ones with the legendary Sand pattern. I think the last ones in the Dodge size (XS series) left the production line in about 1996??? :cry:
I had them on my first WC52...

So most of us drive today the Omaha NDT (the only ones with the "e" sign on the market = approved in Europe). But if you have a closer look at MV Events you see a lot of ex. Norwegian Dodge with Viking tires with the clover pattern. And I think they went out of production in about 1990, when the Norwegian Forces sold their last WW2 trucks. :mrgreen:

So what about Firestone NDT for the authentic look & feel?
They don't have the "e" sign and are because of this not sold in Europe by Firestone - but in the USA is that fact no "show-stopper".

Have a relaxed hump day,

Joakim
beepbeep
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1944 WC51

Post by beepbeep »

12th Air Force wrote:But it's harder to get the early style chain.
As far as I know is there no supplier for them in old Europe and I know only one supplier for them as a good stainles steel repro in the States.
Joakim, original chains in their 1945 dated packet are available over here. I'll send one over if you want.

Chris
1944 WC51
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

beepbeep wrote:
Joakim, original chains in their 1945 dated packet are available over here. I'll send one over if you want.

Chris

Hi Chris,

the "ball type" or the early M1940 type?
I have seen several suppliers that offer the common ball type in it's original (WW2?) paper envelope, but up to now only one that has the early 1940 ones (as shown on the photo above).

I bought lately the last two he had in stock. No idea if he has them in stock again.

By the way: 24 h left to Tanks in Town... :mrgreen:

Joakim
G. Miskovsky
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by G. Miskovsky »

Joakim,

The Continentals tires were on trailer rims and I bought them in 1998 I believe. They are heavy 10 ply type. I want to put some of the lighter NDTs on her.
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!
Gus

'42 WC-51, '43 Ben Hur
beepbeep
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1944 WC51

Post by beepbeep »

12th Air Force wrote:
beepbeep wrote:

Chris

Hi Chris,

the "ball type" or the early M1940 type?
I have seen several suppliers that offer the common ball type in it's original (WW2?) paper envelope, but up to now only one that has the early 1940 ones (as shown on the photo above).

I bought lately the last two he had in stock. No idea if he has them in stock again.

By the way: 24 h left to Tanks in Town... :mrgreen:

Joakim
Ah I see now the difference. No, the ones here are the ball type chain, didn't know there was an earlier version
1944 WC51
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

I'm back from Tanks in Town and we had a great weekend at Mons! :thumbup:

The Dodge "worked like a clock" and the Re-Enactment Battle was an amazing special on Sunday with a line-up of more than 60 WW2 Tanks and armored MV (+ all the light MV in place).

The only sad point is, that WW2 equipment has been stolen from our tent at the Camp (worth about Euro 220-250,-). Something that never happened to me on any Cap site in my life. :thumbdown:

My Dodge is now in a Garage specialized in MV to get the towing hook registred. Hopefully will it be legalized in 10 day's from now, so that I'm allowed to tow a Ben Hur or other trailers.
Normally not a big issue if you have the documents to do so, but this week does not happen anything in the Garage because up from today on are all boy's with their toy's at the Schmidtenhöhe MV Event at Koblenz... :roll:

- That's the largest annual MV Event in Germany with more than 450 MV in place (but 98.5 % are post WW2 MV).
Link: http://www.mvd-koblenz.de/

If it's not raining I have plans to be there on Saturday as well. If I'm lucky I can find some replacement for my stolen equipment in the trader area at the Event.

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

What was it you had stolen Joakim? If you post a list it's possible that somebody knows something that may lead to recovery. You never know your luck.

David