Old WC's never die - they just move on! :-)

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC51 built 1942. Former 4x4 MV: Dodge WC52, LR 109 ex MOD FFR (fitted for radio) Series IIA and Series III, Series III Stage1 V8 with Ambulance Body (ex. MOD), Series II 88 ex. BGS (German Border Patrol).

Re: Old WC's never die - they just move on! :-)

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's!

As I always say: the MV owner's world is a very small village! :mrgreen:

Last week I found "by mistake" the nice private M38A1 homepage of Markus. He is a nice fellow and living only about 20 km from my hometown and has lots of MV and military J**p pictures on his site.

See: http://m38a1.de/

Surpise-surprise: I found among his MV photo's some nice pictures of my old French WC52 and so I uploaded them as well.

Find my WC52 photo's now "reloaded" from picture 32 on here:

http://www.steel-toys.com/WC52

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC51 built 1942. Former 4x4 MV: Dodge WC52, LR 109 ex MOD FFR (fitted for radio) Series IIA and Series III, Series III Stage1 V8 with Ambulance Body (ex. MOD), Series II 88 ex. BGS (German Border Patrol).

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

I just want to keep you updated: I have worked during the last two weeks "a bit" (= several nights) on my WW2 Dodge homepage and have finished all of the new sub-pages. So that's new:

A menu-bar navigation in the middle of the landing page http://www.steel-toys.com/ with text-style buttons linked to all of the new sub-pages with special themes.

My Garage: http://www.steel-toys.com/Garage.html

Photos: http://www.steel-toys.com/Events.html

Events (that's the link to my 2015 Planner at the Forum): viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11993

MV Museums (focus: Central Europe and Scandinavia): http://www.steel-toys.com/Museums.html

Veterans (some selected profiles of persons I did some research on): http://www.steel-toys.com/Veterans.html

4Sale (my private Garage surplus section): http://www.steel-toys.com/Sale.html

Links: http://www.steel-toys.com/Links.html

Feel free to have a look from time to time. :D

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's

shit happens: I tried to adjust my brakes and during the brake test the rear right brake line "disintegrated" at the brass connector to the wheel brake cylinder. :evil:

= No Dodge driving & Events this weekend - until I have found a source for the spares. :thumbdown:

A closer look at the mess showed that there was a lot of mud in the wire around the brake line. So I think the previous owner damaged the connector during extreme off-road driving. Maybe at the same occasion when he bent and cracked the petrol tank. :roll:

To see the good in the bad: I'm glad that it happened on the yard and did not happen during an emergency braking on the motorway! :roll:

To be continued...

Joakim
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

so we all are back from Frank's Camp and had a pretty good day yesterday with greenlaning to Schloss Kransberg and BBQ after that.

It was a short night but many new stories have been exchanged and new friends found - so we decided to make a follow up Camp in about July together again. :thumbup:

More photos later-on.

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's

some of the photo's and a video of Frank's Camp is now online at youtube (thank's to Markus and Ecki for the great job!).

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibltu4S ... e=youtu.be

So the plan is to make another Camp later in this summer from Sat. to Sunday with some more MV in place.

More details will follow later-on.

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

it's 10 day's since I placed my spares order at N&P in Germany - nothing happened.
Now I called them up today and they are stating that they have up to now no source for the brake line and the wheel brake cylinder adapter...
Customer info: zero. :evil:

That's the leaking scrap:

So I placed now the order for the adapter at Midwest in the sunny USA and for the hose at armyparts4you in the NL.
I think I should have done this right from the beginning - that would have been "slightly" faster.

Thank's to such great suppliers this weekend no (braking) Dodge at hand - and we have all weekend long great weather for a ride... :roll:

To be continued...

Joakim
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

so what do you do without spares? Starting with old projects that piled up in the back of your garage. :lol:

So I built today a wooden transport box for the BMG cradle and finished it nearly. It will get in addition two carrying handles on both sides. Actually it looks like this:

What else happened? Our garage team lost one member - but instead we have now a new colleague with two (!) Cadillac's - so the empty space is filled again and only space for one more car left. :thumbup:

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

being still without spares I added a new WW2 veteran profile to the veterans section of my homepage.
Here is the link (scroll down on the page, it's the last profile):

http://www.steel-toys.com/Veterans.html

Otherwise the text is in copy below for your information.

The pictures of the Just Collection can be found here: http://www.steel-toys.com/Glen_Just/
Notice: click on "next image" on top to go to the next photo (65 photos overall).

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim

PS: I'm still looking for information's on the 92nd Replacement Battalion during World War II in Europe.

cc:

Glen E. Just - a WW2 soldiers life in a box

Many WW2 veterans returned home and tried to find their way back in to a civilian life. Uniforms and memorabilia disappeared in wardrobes or boxes - often untouched until the vetran passed away and someone found it. Sometimes in such cases the persons throw such items away - sometimes they go thru several hands and occure at eBay or local flea markets.
The Glen E. Just Collection is such a typical case: He passed away without any children or relatives, his farm was sold and under normal circumstances he would have been forgotten as so many other veterans that never gave witness of their role during WW2.

The small box that I bought via eBay in early 2015 from a trader located at Browning, Missouri contained the complete WW2 soldiers life with all informations on his military career, personal items, postcards from places in Iceland, England and Paris, a brand new XL pen from a chemical Company in Germany, parts of his Uniform, his Dog Tag etc. etc. A very rare and complete find. I have no idea at all how it ended up in Missouri?
The Glen Just Collection at a glance incl. photos of What Cheer, Iowa - hometown of Glen Just can be found here:

http://www.steel-toys.com/Glen_Just/

The Army file in the box stated that Mr. Just was with the 92nd Replacement Battalion during World War II in Europe and served as an Technician Third Grade (T/3 - often addressed as Staff Sergeant) as his shoulder insignia indicate. The listed battles have been:
Normandy, Northern France, Ardennes, Rhineland and Central Europe.
Glen Just was awarded with the Good Conduct Medal, six overseas service bars and the Silver Battle Star.
It was hard to find more details on his unit and up to now I found only this brief hint:

"...the 92nd Replacement Battalion saw heavy service across Europe, moving with Allied forces during some of the toughest fighting of the war: Normandy, the Rhineland, and the Ardennes Forest. The after-action review on the battle of the Hürtgen Forest (south of the City of Aachen, Germany) showed the historic, key role this battalion has played in the nations defense..."
The other hint was the info that the unit was involved in the heavy battle at Carentan, Normandy as well.

So a 28 years old Farmer (with a mother by the family name Ewald = with German roots) from What Cheer, Iowa joined the US-Army on Jan. the 28th 1942 at Fort Des Moines, Iowa and made it via the Quartermaster Replacement Training Center at "The Second Camp Lee", VA then to Iceland, the U.K. further to Normandy and the Ardennes and liberated Europe from the Nazi terror...
There is no information on how far he came, but the German pen indicates that he was somewhere in Germany at the end of WW2 in Europe.
- 3 years, 6 months and 20 days with the Army after all.

After his honorable discharge as a warrant officer on the 18th of August 1945 at Fort Sheridan, Illinois he returned to his hometown What Cheer and passed away at the age of 82 in 1996. His brother and sister (?) passed away only some years later and it seems that he has no living closer relatives today.
Due to the fact that this was in the "age before the internet revolution" I could not find any pictures of him in his later life or informations on his civilian career. So I was "stuck" with my research and Mr. Just as a person is still "reduced to a pile of figures".
So some of the items I found in the box are "indicators" for the "private Mr. Just": a picture of a white cat on his yard, dated 1942 and the name of the cat: "Fluff" that is written on the back of the photo. In the background you can see two more cats as well. Another photo is showing one more cat and a dog by the name "Mike". Then a picture of a corn picker and a tractor on his yard (the corn picker could be made by New Holland and the tractor could be a John Deere). - I guess he was taking the photo when the Just family bought it in November 1942. Not a big surprise because he was a farmer - with a heart for cats.
Another item: a small arctic flower glued to a sheet of paper that he collected at Iceland, in addition to an small Iceland Flag, four photos from Iceland (no postcards!) - all with a stamp on the back of the censor of the Iceland Base Command (IBC). The very rare IBC uniform patch of it in Glen Just's collection indicates that he was there for a while. A farmer from Iowa in the Arctic summer. He must been deeply impressed by the wild nature and steep mountains.

- So much, that he kept this small pressed flower thru the years and WW2 and brought it back home. Seeing this small fragile flower is touching my heart. I think Glen Just was a sensitive person, with an eye for the small things around us.

I could not find any details on his path across Europe during WW2. But some commercial postcards - maybe bought as a set - from the south coast of England must have been bought close to his port of embarkation to Normandy. I could find a similar set of postcards from Paris. - His next station after D-Day and the heavy battle in the North of France.
If he was involved in the battle at the Hürtgenwald Forrest (north of the Ardennes) he was involved in the hardest battle of the US Army in WW2. The losses there have been higher than the overall loss of soldiers in the complete Vietnam war. The US Army needed several months to clear the area from German Forces. But the only evidence, that Glen Just was in Germany is this pen from the Chemische Fabrik Grünau (close to Berlin) and his service record.

Another "untold story" is the Silver Battle Star of Glen Just. There is no background information about it except of the Army file. The insignia as well as the Medal of Good Conduct and the overseas service bars are missing. I think they have been in the box as well - but been sold seperately.

A small booklet published by the Army is indicating that he returned via Camp Kilmer, NJ in about July or early August 1945 to the USA. From there he was sent to the separation center at Fort Sheridan, Illinois.
- On the 18th of August 1945 ended WW2 for Glen E. Just at Fort Sheridan, Illinois.

And this is the end of the story, that this small box is telling us. It seems that Glen Just recieved a final payment of USD 100 at Fort Sheridan and returned by train home to What Cheer and putted all those items he collected from 1942 on together in this box, closed the lid of it and kept it in a hidden corner of his farm until he passed away. I think he kept his uniform too, but I guess the uniform was dumped lateron because of clothes moths. His Garrison Cap is indicating this because you can see several holes from the moths.
So my research ended with the documents in the box in the year 1945 and the www research was only stating the date when he passed away. So I contacted Bill Miller from the Library at What Cheer and tried to find out more about Glen Just and his life after he returned home. Bill was very surprised to get an e-mail from a collector in Germany, but I was lucky - he was old enough to remember Glen Just and to tell me a bit what he knewed about him:

"No, I did not expect an e-mail from Germany and what a pleasant surprise. I am semi-retired and the Director of our small local library. It happens that I knew Glen Just. I grew up on a farm about a mile from his home. He died a farmer and as I remember was known for his mechanical skills. I remember him and his brother Alvin exchanging work with my father once in a while. I also remember him coming to What Cheer to play cards in the local pool hall. His farm and his brothers farm were sold after their deaths.
Glen never married and had no children and left his farm to his niece and nephew who later sold it. As far as I know they are still alive but know nothing about their whereabouts. All of the structures on both farms that were in place at that time are now gone."

That Glen Just was a good mechanic was no surprise to me. He must have had practise from the machines on the farm - so the Army decided to give him a special training as a automotive mechanic and he ended up in a unit of the Army Service Forces, as his shoulder patch in the box indicates. But there is no evidence if he was working at the European Theatre behind the frontline as a automotive mechanic or if he has really has been under enemy fire.

There are only three photos showing him: One with him and a young girl sitting smiling on a bench at Williamsburg on the 5th of April 1942, one showing him on a picture with the complete Company "B" 10th QM Training Regiment at Camp Lee, VA before embarkation to Iceland and a last one is showing him at the ETO. I have the impression, that he looks much older on this photo with hard lines in his face. Looking again and again at this photo I have the impression that something has happened in between, that the pictures and documents don't tell us.

It is this picture that he choosed after the end of WW2 for the Service Record of his hometown - a sort of high school yearbook from about 1948 (?) with all WW2 veterans from What Cheer - sponsored by the American Legion No. 533 and What Cheer and community business men. So this is the latest document in the collection - a WW2 soldiers life in a box.

Hopefully this time capsule will tell future generations more about farmers like Glen Just that did their job in WW2 - liberated Europe from Nazi dictatorship - and made this world a better place. Veteran Glen Just is gone - but this way he is not forgotten.

This research is dedicated to the children of What Cheer, Iowa to help them to learn from the past.
Last edited by 12th Air Force on Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:03 am, edited 9 times in total.
DM Carpenter
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by DM Carpenter »

Joakim:

Neat collection, I enjoyed looking at the pictures. Did anyone notice the modern military trailer in the background of one of the modern pictures?

The piece of farm machinery is a corn picker. I think it says 'New Holland' on it, and it appears to be attached to a John Deere tractor.

The Opera House was interesting. I spotted the Square and Compasses at the top (right side) and noted the covered windows on the top floor. I did some digging. The Opera House was built by the local Masonic (Freimauer) Lodge in the late 19thC. That Lodge no longer functions.

Again, interesting collection. Thanks for putting it on line.

Dave
1943 GPW 93517 "Basketcase"
1945 WC-52
1953 M-38A1 USAF then USMC
1965 D-100
BB-55 USS North Carolina LHC
..._
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

DM Carpenter wrote:Joakim:

Neat collection, I enjoyed looking at the pictures. Did anyone notice the modern military trailer in the background of one of the modern pictures?

The piece of farm machinery is a corn picker. I think it says 'New Holland' on it, and it appears to be attached to a John Deere tractor.

The Opera House was interesting. I spotted the Square and Compasses at the top (right side) and noted the covered windows on the top floor. I did some digging. The Opera House was built by the local Masonic (Freimauer) Lodge in the late 19thC. That Lodge no longer functions.

Again, interesting collection. Thanks for putting it on line.

Dave

Hello Dave,

thank's for the flowers and the great infos! :-)
It seems that you have a good sense for the details and I will add those informations tonight to the text. :thumbup:

I noticed the trailer as well (m101?). It's on the backyard of the old What Cheer Telephone Co. building. :-)

Generally speaking is What Cheer one of the many old villages in the countryside that are "fading away" due to the loss of it's younger population.
Today it has only half of the population it had in the 1930ies or less than this (the estimated population, in 2010, was 646 compared to 1,310 in 1930)... The empty areas along the main street are a clear evidence for this.
So I was quite astonished to see that wikipedia offers an own page on What Cheer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Cheer,_Iowa

The What Cheer Opera House is one of the "jewels" among the few old buildings in town and has been rebuilt some years ago.
It's inside very interesting. See: https://trundlebedtales.wordpress.com/2 ... era-house/

Some more nice photos from this "fading beauty" can be found on the site "Forgotton Iowa":
http://forgotteniowa.com/post/114267640 ... d/:summary

At youtube is a nice video on driving thru What Cheer - giving a good impression of the village today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BXVG1PcxTA

Actually I try to find out if the American Legion Post no. 533 still exists - that sponsored the Service Record Book from about 1948 - and to get in touch with them. Maybe they have some helpfull informations as well.

Thank's a lot again for your comments and please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any additional informations. :D

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
DM Carpenter
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by DM Carpenter »

I think that the coal petering out really started killing the town. Some farm towns are doing well, others, not so much. Where I live is growing because it is an hour (or so) from Charlotte, but having outsiders move in isn't always good either, as they change things too.

You may want to contact the Grand Lodge of Iowa. They may have some info on the man, or at least on the Lodge that used to be in What Cheer.

Here is a small town story for you. One county over from me is Cleveland County. There is a small town there named Casar. The official story is that they wanted to name the town 'Ceasar' and misspelled it. Most people (including my family), who settled this area were Germanic. I say Germanic because some were German Swiss, some were from the Palentine, and some were from the Rhein. When I hear the 'misspelled' line, I point out that it is spelled correctly, for those who spoke German. It is pronounced 'Kaysar' here.

Have a good one.
Dave

Germany in less than six weeks...
1945 WC-52
1965 D-100
..._
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

DM Carpenter wrote:
You may want to contact the Grand Lodge of Iowa. They may have some info on the man, or at least on the Lodge that used to be in What Cheer.
Hello Dave,

as far as I could find out up to now does the Lodge not any longer exist. One of the last members of it and former postmaster of What Cheer passed away in 2012. He was a WW2 veteran too.

The former American Legion Post 533 does not exist any longer too (there is a Post 533 today - but it's located in Texas) - but it seems that Post 319 is actually the closest/responsible one for What Cheer. But I have no email address (it's only an postal address on the American Legion Post locator site).

Actually I have no idea what's going on in my life from the 1st of July on because I've been fired and have no new job-opportunity up to now. :roll:
In case that I'm still unemployed at the time of your visit I have "plenty of time" and you are welcome to visit me and my garage (located at Maintal, east of Frankfurt).

By the way: I sent you a invitation via LinkedIn. :D

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
DM Carpenter
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by DM Carpenter »

Joakim:

Sorry to hear about the job. That bites. I had looked at the Grand Lodge's website and determined that there was no longer a Lodge there. If the Lodge 'went dark', or amalgamated with another (most likely), the Grand Lodge could tell you. One thing, the Legion and the Masonic Lodge in the US are both organized by state. The Department of Iowa (Legion) may have info. Also, numbers are only unique within a state.

I will respond to your LinkedIn invite at the office tomorrow. I hope that my German page was not too bad. I had to be creative with my job description.

I will keep your invite in mind. I hope that I can see your setup while we are there.

Chin up about the job. What do you do for a living?

Dave
1945 WC-52
1965 D-100
..._
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

coming back to the missing spares: I got one parcel last week - but it was the wrong part. :evil:
So I have to find an alternative source so that the brake mess can be fixed before the summer is over again... (=back to where I started in the end of May). :thumbdown:

To be continued...

Joakim
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

I have been last Sunday at a US-Car meeting at Kelsterbach (next village to Frankfurt Airport). Perfect weather and nice gasoline talk's with lot's of Apfelwein (sort of strong German Cider). :mrgreen:
Some nice vintage and custom cars in place + an Porsche tractor from the 1950ies. :thumbup:

See: http://www.steel-toys.com/KB15

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim