RANGERS' CCKW

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

RANGERS' CCKW

Post by RANGER »

Ranger has a proud Military heritage, and grew up in a family business owned by WWII heroes, one a Ranger, the other an Air Commando, the business was located at the Main Gate to a WWII Air Force Base that in the late 40s thru mid fifties was full of WWII Army Air Force heroes and Aces. I was taught to ride my bicycle in 1948 by the US Army Boxing Champion Joe Strang, who reminded me of Joe Palooka.Joe was stationed at the base and had joined the Army in 1929. Much hanger flying and war escapades went on on our office and small restaurant while they were still young and memories were fresh. A lot of this rubbed off and my CCKW carries some of their memorabilia such as WWII Summer flying coveralls and Ranger School Diploma. The Diploma and Ranger Hand Books are from Camp Forrest Tennessee, and the Coveralls were worn on special Air Assault Missions in the Phillipines. The coveralls were worn in the company of famous heroes such as Richard Bong, Tommy Mc Guire, George Laven, General Kenney, Generals Wainright, MacArthur, and Admiral Nimitz, etc. They were worn by uncle Max when he witnessed the seven Victory Rolls by Major William Shomo after shooting down 7 Japanese aircraft in February 1945 . Major William Shomo was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his action. What is unique is that I was witness to first hand accounts told by WWII Veterans 30-40 years before they were being printed in the aviation history books. All this while WWII CCKWS and other types were flowing in and out of the main gate.My Uncle the Ranger, was part of a patrol that crossed thru the Seigfried Line several weeks before the Allied Armies actually broke thru it.
Last edited by RANGER on Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

NOTE:

I have posted this in the wrong thread, but am not about to type it over into the correct spot.

I hope you enjoy it anyways.

There was no department store shopping, but with a little patience all the variations were available. Demill requirements as we know them today were not in effect, and MG mounts were included. These were usualy quickly thrown in the scrap iron pile and off to the smelters. SWB CCKWs were not as popular as the customers preferred the Closed Cab and Chassis LWB. Customers were mostly farmers, contractors and woods operators. The Open cab was the preference of those who were to mount cranes, as all they had to do was cut the windshield frame in half and remove a portion of the RH dash panel where it raised above the cowl. If one looks carefully at some of the collectors open cab CCKWs, you may spot where a dashboard patch has been crudely spliced back in in order to give the windshield a mounting base. The CCKWS with Civilian Cranes were grossly overloaded the chassis and suspensions soon reflected that. The Closed Cabs were the choice of most customers, and all automobile Junk yards were canvassed in order to buy up all available 41-47 Chevrolet and GMC truck closed cabs. Shop Van Bodies quickly became outdoor parts storage sheds at the surplus dealers and many are still used as storage today even though the doors have rusted off the hinges. There were many new surplus WWII fuel tanks, but these were quickly used up on all makes of civilian trucks.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

My CCKW is dated May 1941, its' brake system has been at some point in Military service been converted from the early Power Cylinder to one with a Hydrovac. The early SWB CCKW prior to Serial No. 41189 was unique as the exhaust system crossed over between the transmission and transfer to the passenger side. The LWB CCKWX and CCKW with the early Power Cylinder had room for the exhaust to remain on the drivers side because of the additional 19" of frame rail.
Mine has the conventional exhaust installed, and all hardware to install it is precisely in the correct position. There is no way to determine the date at which it was changed over, but all hardware to install the Vacuum lines, Hydrovac, hydraulic lines, and exhaust system are exactly as if it were installed at the factory, nothing is makeshift. There is most likely a Service Bulletin or MWO for this modification, but I have not been able to find it yet.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I finally found a NOS Brass Data Plate for my 270 engine after looking for a few years. They are attached to the block with "drive rivets". My NOS Block was pre drilled for the dataplate.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

What looks nice in the Cargo Body is the NOS 1944 dated HQ Field Desk, WWII Typewriter Chest and a few OD Colored crates of NOS parts with the WWII labels on them.. Also included in the load are WWII Wooden Crates of unused Carbine ammo and a few WWII.50 BMG Ammunition Boxes. (Even got a color copy of my Uncle Joe's WWII RANGER School Diploma from Camp Forrest Tennessee dated 1943.)
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Ranger suscribes to the theory if one is going to give good advice, one must practice what he preaches in order to set a good example. Rangers CCKW is 100% turnkey as a result of following TM9-801.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The 1574 Closed Cab being restored for my CCKW 352 has the inspection cover for the early Master Cylinder on the LH Rocker Panel, but the brake system was upgraded by Ordnance to the late master cylinder with hydrovac. That early Rocker Panel is going to Mark Norman to install his award winning early CCKW 352 with original brake system.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The engine in my Danish Army CCKW was "0" time rebuilt to Standard on the Bore, Rod and Main Bearings when I had it shipped over in 1982.
It was painted that ugly light green we see on so many European CCKWs and WCs.
It ran just fine and used no oil, and even got painted over with 24087 as I restored the truck. There was this little nuissance leak at the timing cover that would leave a 2" oil spot on the drive after shut down, but never showed on the dipstick.
A couple years ago I got tired of the drip, and assembled a complete 270 using all NOS parts starting with a NOS Block rather than repair the original. The original was placed on a stand as a spare.
A fellow CCKW collector was in need of a 270, and I sold the spare to him. He decided to repair the leak and to inspect the camshaft for a fibre gear which is considered a time bomb as they disintergrate without warning. It had a fibre gear, and one of the two screws that attach the Camshaft thrust plate to the block was backed out nearly to the gear. This is a common occurance but not all that often. I sent down a nearly new Camshaft with Aluminum Timing Gear from an M-Series 302 and it would not fit into the Cam Bearings. Guess what? The Camshaft journals had been machined .010" undersize with corresponding undersize Camshaft bearings during the Gov't rebuild in Denmark.

First time I have ever witnesed a reground Camshaft.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

I STILL DON'T SEE A PICTURE OF IT ANYWHERE! :twisted:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

That's cause I don't got the smarts to get my pics to post. Robbo discovered one unauthorized one tho. I have nothing to hide as my fleet is sharp, I would not accept less.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi RANGER:

No doubt about that! :thumbup: If you'd like, you can email me any ya want posted, & I'll be more than happy to post em for ya. In case ya didn't hear, I are a college student again. I'm taking computer graphics & annimation, so I may eventually be able to figure out how to do stuff like that. :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

OK,
I will dig out some handiwork. I have nothing to hide.
PM your eMail address to me.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

AGAIN???? :lol: Okay, no problem, and BTW, there was no insinuation that your hiding anything. I'm sure most would love to admire your handiwork as I'm sure your rig looks great.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Thanks, Ugg, no the nothing to hide was not directed at you, just a passing comment.

My fleet is a fun fleet, and always waiting for a romp into reality. Got many pics, but they are an act in frustration as they are mixed in with weddings, family pics.

Ranger aka "so and so" "Name that can't be mentioned"
retro-roco
Sergeant
Sergeant

Ranger's CCKW picture...

Post by retro-roco »

Here is a picture of what I believe is Ranger's CCKW:

Of course this was while it was still an open cab. Ranger, is it still, or have you completed the cab swap that you've been planning?
Kirk Gustafson
Item Coy, 23 Regt, 2 Inf Div
WWII HRS