Freeze plug for the head (1 1/16")

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
maigaard
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 1944 Dodge WC-52

Freeze plug for the head (1 1/16")

Post by maigaard »

After a drive in the WC52 yesterday I noticed coolant dripping from the head area and found that the head freeze plug is bad. It's the small 1 1/16" (27mm) one. While I can find it at some european WW2 parts dealers, it comes with €20-30 shipping to Sweden. Any tips on where to source these with reasonable shipping in Europe, or does anyone have one left over from a plug set perhaps that they can part with ? There are complete plug sets on ebay in the US, but shipping and customs make that option quite expensive as well..
1944 Dodge WC-52
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 48 Power Wagon
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Re: Freeze plug for the head (1 1/16")

Post by Adam in Wa »

I’ve never been to Sweden, but perhaps you could get a freeze plug of the correct size at an auto parts store or a tractor/ equipment supply store. It doesn’t have to be old military specs. And personally I recommend a brass replacement plug so it will not rust.

On a side note, I do not use water in any of my vehicles, just straight coolant. Water is corrosive; this is why we have hard water. Given time it will dissolve solid rock, corrode metal pipes, etc. For many years I had a swimming pool. I was constantly adding chemicals to lower the ph (acidity) of the water. If too acidic it will eat your plaster, grout and equipment. If not acidic enough it will leave mineral deposits on everything so it’s a struggle to maintain the balance. Just avoid all this and use straight coolant. None of my new vehicles since the mid 90s require any water in the system so I don’t think there is a benefit to using water in an engine cooling system.
maigaard
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 1944 Dodge WC-52

Re: Freeze plug for the head (1 1/16")

Post by maigaard »

I managed to find a retailer who was willing to just ship for a lower price than advertised, so it's hopefully on its way to me now :D
1944 Dodge WC-52