Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 48 Power Wagon
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

WC53 tailgate hinge pins

Post by Adam in Wa »

So I have my lower tailgate hinges off the truck. There is a lot of play in them, maybe 1/8 of an inch. As I articulate the hinges I see the head of the hinge pin turning with the outer piece, and the other end of the pin turns with the inside piece. So either the pins are broken inside (on both hinges) or they used two pins pressed in the ends. I hit the pin with a BFH and no movement, just peening the pin over. So it looks like I’m going to have to drill. Does anyone know the hinge pin diameter? Any tricks for getting these apart?

Thanks.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: WC53 tailgate hinge pins

Post by Gordon_M »

I think you have exceeded the warranty period on those, Adam. :thumbup:

Whatever the diameter was originally, I'll bet either the centre or the ends will be all wallowed out from the original spec, so knowing what it was won't help you.

I'd suggest measuring the OD of the head so you can replicate it, then just drill /grind till it is all apart, find long thin hex head bolts that will be a snug fit, drilling slightly oversize if required, then turn the heads to the original dome shape / size and reassemble.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

Ha, yes… I wanted the pin diameter so I could drill that size. I want the inner hinge piece to ride on the (greased) pin, and the outer piece to hold the pin in place.

I got one apart and as close as I can measure the recessed ends of the pin it looks like .266 (17/64). I drilled one out and was not able to measure any part of the pin; I just ordered some hinge pin stock from MSC in .281 dia. (9/32). I will leave them a bit long and thread one end for a cap nut, so they will be removable for grease.

There did not appear to be any internal bushings, just a straight thru hole. Also the pin under the head was broken flush with the inner hinge, and all rusted together as solid as could be..
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

I was able to determine the stock pin size was 9/32 (.281) and apparently is the same as the door hinge pins.

I was correct that the hinge pins were broken under the head on both hinges. In the pics you can see the pins were rusted solidly into the halves.
I was able to drill out the pins to 9/32 without much difficulty. I have decided to slightly increase the size of the pins to 19/64ths (.296) because there was some pitting on the inside and some wallowing on one end; the non-broken end. I am contemplating drilling the center piece for a hidden grease fitting.
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

I finished the hinges, they move nicely with no play. I blasted them, & washed them with a phosphoric acid to kill the rust. Then painted them with an etch primer, which happens to be green. I did not add grease fittings as the pins are removable/greasable.

The long strip of metal belonged below the tailgate, between the hinges. I am in the process of fabricating a replacement.

https://i.postimg.cc/mZC7TZdv/IMG-2022 ... 537690.jpg
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

I ground down the heads of the pins to resemble he originals, but left them a little fat. I believe the hinges are just regular cast iron, the metal is relatively soft. And they are left & right handed, not interchangeable.

Don
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Don »

When you're done, could you post a picture of the assembled tailgate? I'd like to see how it all fits together. -Thanks
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

nice work on those hinges! amazing how much time you can put into parts like that.
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

All assembled.

Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant