Themoose74
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: 1945 GPW
1944 MB
1942 WC 55 (reconfigured to a 52)

Cab ID Swiss WC52 help please

Post by Themoose74 »

I just picked up a WC52 that is in need of a lot work. It appears to be a Swiss return WC52. None of the original data plates are on the truck. All of them are Swiss-German now. I haven’t purchased the build card yet.

The frame number is 81662006 which might put in around Aug/Sept of ‘43? As I’m going through the truck, I’ve noticed a few weird details in the cab. The floor area (what’s left of it beneath the pans) is configured slightly different from my old ‘42 WC52. The ‘42 is long gone, some I’m relying on pictures. The dash has a spot for the volt gauge, although it has a plug on it.

Tonight I had a theory going that the cab might be from a Command Car. I just learned about the serial number sometime being stamped beneath the Radio Interference box on the engine side. Sure enough, I found it: 22761

Can anyone give me an idea if this cab came might be from a WC 56, 57 or 58?

PS… I’ve been awol for a long time. It’s awesome to be back!
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Cab ID Swiss WC52 help please

Post by Gordon_M »

I don't recognise the number. The Swiss did a whole pile of structural modifications to their trucks though.

Good to see you back. :D
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

Hey, Moose! My WC52 has a build card of 31 December, 1943, and is frame 81681612. I am unsure of whether mine is Swiss or Norwegian..
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

No, no, no...

24 Dec 1943, not 31 Dec....
Themoose74
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: 1945 GPW
1944 MB
1942 WC 55 (reconfigured to a 52)

Post by Themoose74 »

Yours is a Christmas miracle! That is fantastic!

And you are in SC??!!!! I'm just outside of Charleston.

Mine is definitely a Franken-truck.

I'm pretty confident the frame # is for a WC52. The cab is definitely a hacked-up Command Car, but I do not know which variety. The remaining floorboards aren't like the other trucks I've seen. Definitely a CC. They really had to modify it to make it work. And instead of bucket seats, I believe what I have is the CC rear bench seat. This will definitely be an adventure trying to make it look somewhat normal.

The bed is an early all-steel bed. There are a couple of other early parts on the truck as well.

...Swiss rifle holders and Swiss plates across the dash. And my floor looks like Swiss cheese. lol

Nonetheless, I'm pretty excited to have a WC back in my stable.