Door Alignment in Closed Cab

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Don
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Door Alignment in Closed Cab

Post by Don »

I've just installed the doors on a 1941 closed cab half ton (WC12). Both doors are low at the latch (rear) by about 1/4". The rear surface of the door is parallel to the frame, and too close to allow adjustment by bending the hinges as suggested in the repair manual. I'm thinking of putting a wood beam and hydraulic jack between the lower rear corner and upper forward corner of the door frame and pushing the frame into better alignment. Has anyone done this, and do you have any tips? Or are there any other ways to handle this?
-Thanks.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Door Alignment in Closed Cab

Post by Gordon_M »

If the back edge is parallel, and the top edge isn't too low ( the whole door sitting low). I'd be tempted to remount the latch 1/4" lower
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Don
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Re: Door Alignment in Closed Cab

Post by Don »

This post is to report my results:

I tried the diagonal wood beam and jack in the door frame, but the cab just kept springing back. Also, I was afraid I'd break something if I jacked too hard.

I ended up bending the upper hinge forward as described in the maintenance manual. I put a clamp on it, which held the hinge closed. Then I partially opened the door until it bent a little bit. I did this in steps, taking the clamp off and checking alignment before proceeding. I'm pleased the door opens and closes easily, and latches solidly. The gaps around the door aren't perfect, but the truck has lot's of "character" dents and I don't think most people will notice the gaps.