Pinion Bearings

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
beepbeep
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1944 WC51

Pinion Bearings

Post by beepbeep »

I thought I'd do a small job on my WC51 last week, change the felt seals on the steering knuckles. On taking the first bolt out of the retainer, oil came out, my drive shaft oil seal had obviously failed! I've changed the seal and fitted a new bush, the pinion bearings/cups looked ok but when I've come to set the preload, the TM said 25-27 lbs foot, I can't get any better than 8 lbs foot and that's with all the shims removed! Is this likely to be worn pinion bearings? My truck has always had light steering but a couple of years ago I ventured over 45mph and got violent wheel wobble, I put it down to a badly balanced wheel at the time but I've since read that worn bearings can cause it. All advice appreciated.

Chris
1944 WC51
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Pinion Bearings

Post by Gordon_M »

No direct experience Chris but wear does seem most likely. I'd be very tempted to put it back together and run it, see what it's like. You can get new bearings and keep them handy, just in case.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
beepbeep
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by beepbeep »

Thanks Gordon, I've sourced bearings for a relatively low price so think I'll change them whilst I've got it all stripped down. Thanks again

Chris
1944 WC51
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

It'll be interesting to see if the force required goes up with new bearings, it may not.
Gordon, in Scotland

beepbeep
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by beepbeep »

I think you may be right but I've checked the only other possibility, the plates that the bearing cups sit on, and there's no undue wear there so I'm only left with the bearings, will let you know.
1944 WC51
beepbeep
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by beepbeep »

Gordon_M wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:12 pm It'll be interesting to see if the force required goes up with new bearings, it may not.
Well Gordon, you were right! Exactly the same with new bearings and cups, only way I can see to up the preload would be to machine the flange face where the bearing caps attach but that's too much hassle so its going back together as is. Also I just realised that they're not pinion bearings they're trunnion bearings, got my terms mixed up :oops:

Chris
1944 WC51
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

We know what you meant Chris.

Background here is that the early trucks like the VC had proper bearings top and bottom, later ones went to a bearing at the bottom and a bushing at the topic if I remember correctly.

Clean the faces of all the caps by flattening them on emery paper I think. Build each hub individually and see if one has more drag than the other, then trying swapping the caps.

It'll be fine anyway, it's a dodge. :thumbup:
Gordon, in Scotland

beepbeep
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by beepbeep »

That's interesting about the bushing, I saw them listed and when I pulled the old bearing I saw that the top swivel pin was cut for a keyway. My truck was rebuilt in Germany in '53 and was fitted with SKF bearings 'Made in Gt Britain' funnily enough. I'm just busy doing the driver's side now, same problem as the other, oil seal disintegrated and bottom bearing and hub swimming in diff oil! As you say it's a Dodge, it'll be fine :D
1944 WC51