Att Kaegi, 6x6 transfer.

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Loffy770
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC-57

Att Kaegi, 6x6 transfer.

Post by Loffy770 »

Kaegi Some years ago we talked about 6x6 transfer conversion on a 4x4 WC.
As you have done it.. Do I need to put a dual joint shaft or a CV joint due to the different propeller angle?

Secondly, Im doing a 4:88 axle gear ratio and was thinking to put on 37” tires. Will 4:88 and 37” be to heavy or will my engine handle it at 50 mph ? My wish is to have a good cruise and still effective off road with with 6x6 transfer.

Its a WC57.
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Re: Att Kaegi, 6x6 transfer.

Post by June J »

Hi Loffy,
you will need to drill out the bracket mounting bolt holes (through the holes in the floor under the front seat) from 3/8" to 7/16".

The jack shaft between the gearbox and transfer case is the same in the WC 63 and WC 57 so no change required there.

You will need to get a WC63 park brake cable as the brake mounts on the rear of the transfer case but the WC 57 has room to accommodate this, my WC 53 does not. The cable has 2 anchor "U" bolts that locate the cable on the transfer case cross member.

You will need to acquire the 2 speed shifter group, this simply bolts to the gearbox same as the WC57. I had to grind some of the "nose" off the lo range select lever to get enough travel to fully select low range.

Be careful with using low low if you have the small 8 3/4" differentials, they will not withstand the torque if you get real down and dirty. Otherwise the 2 speed case offers lots of gearing options.

Cheers

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Loffy770
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Loffy770 »

Thanks for the pointers Ian.
I have acquired cable and 2 speed shifter group.
I didn't know about the 7/16 holes, good info.
I been thinking about PW transfer mounts, does the hole match.. PW have nice rubber insulations, maybe someone here knows if the mounts fits a WC. Another method is that I make new mounts for use with rubber mounts.

What about rear cardan/propeller will that work or do I need a dual joint setup? One option is to tilt the diff a few degrees but I like to avoid that.

Roger
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Hi Roger,
a friend of mine fitted a 2 speed transfer case to his WC 57 and he did modify the mountings to accept the PW rubber mounts. I can get his drawings if your interested?

Your rear drive shaft will need to be shortened, Suggest you install the universal joint bearings and clamps, then measure centre to centre to get your ideal overall length. Before you remove the rear drive shaft measure the length of the exposed slip joint splines then shorten your shaft to achieve the ideal length taking the slip joint spline dimension into account.

The angles of the universal yokes do not need changing.

Cheers

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Loffy770
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Loffy770 »

That’s very kind of you Ian, drawings will make it easier so Yes please.
Would it be possible for you to measure the hight and depth of your cut out on the high / low lever.
Hight from center of shaft pivot bolt to center of notch and then how deep your notch was.. I guess the depth was around 6 mm.
It would be nice to do that and paint before assembly.

Thank you
Roger
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

on my WC57 conversion i didn't have to drill the cross member bolt holes. maybe they all became 7/16 at some point. The floor of the WC57 did clear the parking brake assembly. I believe at some point in production all 3/4 tons used a stamping from the 6x6 die
I did not run a double cardan joint but i would if I do it again. the angle is not so good in the 27 inches of drivleine. I shimmed the tcase slightly to improve angle
If you use power wagon mounts the cross member needs to be redrilled to a different pattern. i recommend using the power wagon/M37 tcase because it has a lower low range than the 6x6 case. I tried the 6x6 case first and it just doesn't have enough reduction compared to the PW/m37 case
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

on the power of the 230 you should be ok but even better if the engine is rebuilt. shave .075" off the head and put in a modern cam grind. The stock grind is designed for 70 octane fuel. These mods make a huge difference in acceleration and hill climbing ability. a stock WC with 5.83 is designed to go 55 mph all day. I run them at that speed with no issues. So with 4.88s 55 is even easier.
Loffy770
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Loffy770 »

Im rebuilding it as we speek, engine is in for rebore 060, decking, shave, cam grind with more lift.
I ported the block in a mild way and did the same with manifold..

Thanks for your reply.
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

Loffy770 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:21 pm Im rebuilding it as we speek, engine is in for rebore 060, decking, shave, cam grind with more lift.
I ported the block in a mild way and did the same with manifold..

Thanks for your reply.
excellent! the porting helps too! How much coming off the head and deck? gotta make sure valves will clear. ;/)
i have a machinsits head mill chart and it says you can got up to around .125" off the head.
Loffy770
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Loffy770 »

Just cleaning the block and 1.5 mm on head but its a 218 head with slightly smaller but wider chamber. I have redone the chamber a bit and will CC compare once its back. Goal is to have around 74cc chambers. Once I balanced out chambers I might need a second shave. Original head is in too for same shave but it will sit on my shelf.

All moving parts will be weight matched and then piston/rod sets will be match checked to. Piston to one gram and rods to ,1 gram plus matched rod ends.

Its actually a pretty serious engine job Im doing, overkill yes but it feels good.

BTW manifold was much worse than the ports, lots of lumps there.
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

Loffy770 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:45 pm Just cleaning the block and 1.5 mm on head but its a 218 head with slightly smaller but wider chamber. I have redone the chamber a bit and will CC compare once its back. Goal is to have around 74cc chambers. Once I balanced out chambers I might need a second shave. Original head is in too for same shave but it will sit on my shelf.

All moving parts will be weight matched and then piston/rod sets will be match checked to. Piston to one gram and rods to ,1 gram plus matched rod ends.

Its actually a pretty serious engine job Im doing, overkill yes but it feels good.

BTW manifold was much worse than the ports, lots of lumps there.
how many thousandths is 1.5mm? no metric allowed on dodges. ;/) I go in on the manifolds and clean those up as well. do some enlarging. and port match. i have balanced about half the 230s i have done. cant hurt
Loffy770
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Loffy770 »

It’s 060 and reason for this is to cc measure it and then adjust volume to equally matched size. Once done I can do the final shave. I done the same port matching, not per say matching block to manifolds but manifold have the same nice round holes.

Stock was terrible with oval and different sized holes. Generally speaking I opened up exhaust manifold to match gasket and then exhoust ports was sized just below. On intake block was matched to gasket but intake was only smoothed out to line up with block ports. I found intake manifold to be pretty accurate but exhaust was pretty bad.
From block to manifold on exhaust a drop is good while on intake I dont want a drop.
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

I know everyone uses cc for chamber volume I end up converting it to CI so I can more easily figure out compression ratio gains and CI gains. I dont want ot know the liters. lol

its gonna run great!
Loffy770
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Loffy770 »

Any news on tranfer mount drawings Ian?

Roger
June J wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:55 pm Hi Roger,
a friend of mine fitted a 2 speed transfer case to his WC 57 and he did modify the mountings to accept the PW rubber mounts. I can get his drawings if your interested?

Your rear drive shaft will need to be shortened, Suggest you install the universal joint bearings and clamps, then measure centre to centre to get your ideal overall length. Before you remove the rear drive shaft measure the length of the exposed slip joint splines then shorten your shaft to achieve the ideal length taking the slip joint spline dimension into account.

The angles of the universal yokes do not need changing.

Cheers

Ian
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Hi Loffy,
I'm working on it, my colleague had changed his email and I have had a few issues contacting him. Hopefully we're in contact now.

Cheers

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf