A LITTLE CCKW MOTIVATION IS ALL IT TAKES

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

A LITTLE CCKW MOTIVATION IS ALL IT TAKES

Post by RANGER »

If you are staring at your new CCKW and in awe at the project facing you, just grab some wrenches or a rag and solvent and pick a starting place.
I like to start at the bottom and work up to the top with a complete mechanical service as dictated by the TM's in order to get my truck in like new operating condition. Paint and bodywork come last as bodywork and grease do not mix.
If after several years and you still have not started because you are PO'd that none of the G-508 TM's seem have the information you think you need, and no one such as RANGER, Jim Gilmore, Bob Rubino, Frank von Rosensteil has volunteered to do the work for you, or the author of those nice "In Action" MV books only printed photos of nicely restored trucks and no details on factory new CCKW, no big problem, all it really takes is motivation.

How does one get motivation? You get it by reducing that CCKW that has waited for 10 years into a pile of sheetmetal and parts, and transforming that red yellow and primer CCKW back together into a like new OD CCKW that is fun to drive and will take you to all those nice local MV shows in your area.
Last edited by RANGER on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: A LITTLE CCKW MOTIVATION IS ALL IT TAKES

Post by Gordon_M »

They are a great truck. I'm particularly fond of the 270 which is a great engine.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

A great time machine, also, I feel 50 years younger everytime I drive it.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

It appears that many have parked their CCKW's.
gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: '41 dodge wc-1
'45 IHC m5h6

Post by gyknot »

I sold all of my ww2 chevy and GMC trucks and parts to another collector who is really into the trucks. That way they quit just sitting around deteriorating and I get to spend that cash on my IHC and Dodge ww2 projects.
Was hard to let them go but I just wasn't going to do anything with them in this lifetime.
George
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Army motto.
KEEP 'EM ROLLING!