Steel 1 Ton Trailer
Friends Of Willie And Joe
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: RANGERS MOTORPOOL

Post by RANGER »

They are all gone. Who is "we"?
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Cat got your tongue?
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

RANGERS MOTORPOOL is now ready for the Fall parade season, all heater shut off valves have been opened. This is the time of year when the Closed Cab CCKW is in its element and the warm cab is welcome. By far, one of the most efficient of the Hot Water Heater installations to be installed in a soft top MV is the kit for the M-38A1, it will keep the driver and front seat passenger comfortable in sub zero weather. I have been riding in canvas covered Jeeps since 1945 and the M-38A1 is by far the warmest of the heated Jeeps.
My MB had it's annual safety inspection yesterday, I could not believe that it had only been driven 230 miles in the past year. The M-38A1 has been averaging that much per week over the past month. The M-38A1 was deadlined for an extended period until the faulty rear main seal was recently replaced with a seal kit manufactured prior to 1970. There are some bad seals out there, Victor claims it is because they are being installed in military Jeep engines-do not believe them the GI engines all use the same Willys part numbered internal components.
Fall is reserved for the fun to do maintenance, the SWB CCKW will get a few more of its wheels balanced, it does make a difference and is a good way to discover bent wheels during the spin balance. It's fun practicing 65 years of good MV habits passed down by WWII Veterans and Army Instructors, the training works resulting in 100% turnkey military vehicle operation.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

GI Training and Maintenance pays off, I have not had to tow or boost the CCKW since I restored it nearly 30 years ago.
Same goes for the MB, M-37, M-38A1 I have, none have ever had a breakdown or needed repairs on the road. Uncle Sam has good instruction.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

RANGERS MOTORPOOL thrives on PM, PM is the key to reliable operation. The MB, M-38A1 and CCKW are now out of winter storage and have had their annual spring PM. All are operational and ready for the 2013 Memorial Day Parade.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

It is both sad and lonesome maintaining WWII and Korean era Trucks and Jeeps without the WWII Veterans who have been my mentors since the end of WWII.
Ernest Aguilar
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Ernest Aguilar »

I'm sure they are still watching you with Great Pride.

I have to say their must a been a lot of MB and GPW in Vietnam, A lot of those men always tell me how much the enjoy driving a Jeep just like mine in the Nam. :wink: I never have the heart to tell them other wise. So they smile and move along to the next vehicle, I'm happy.
Ernie Aguilar
Las Vegas,NV
WC 27 81510000 11/41
45 MB 2/45
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I am from an era when the WWII vehicles were still in use and viewed them in action daily during the 40's-50's at Dow Field across the street from our business. We also were in the surplus business. One gets a different perspective when these vehicles are still in the military and the veterans operating them are still in the service or are WWII veterans with adventures still fresh in their memories.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

And RANGER can make his vehicles run better than most other MV owners, prove him wrong. :wink:
Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

Ranger,
There is really nothing to prove, but as the old axiom says, "no matter how good you think you are at whatever you do, there's always someone equal to or better than you". That's just the way of the human condition. I'm certainly not one of those people, but I'm just happy that my Vehicle runs, looks decent and can get me from point A to point B and back even though it's a Dodge and not a GMC. :thumbup:
Joe Giraud
41 WC-12(Salad)
40 Cat D2/3J
San Carlos, CA
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Just trying to set the pace, there is more to MV's than just a pretty paint job complete with waterbucket. :wink: There is nothing like a physically fit Jeep or 6X6 that runs like a Swiss watch. :thumbup:
Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

Oh come on Ranger, you just hurt my feelings by excluding any Dodge, Chevrolet, Studebaker, etc 4X4 and 6X6 truck of American WWII vintage. :( They all ran like Swiss watches fresh from the factories. Now, keeping them running like that in a combat zone must have been one heck of a chore.
Joe Giraud
41 WC-12(Salad)
40 Cat D2/3J
San Carlos,CA
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Pride is a major ingredient.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Bill Knight is now in Heaven, he did not get the chance for one more CCKW ride at Dow Field. His unit at Dow Field in 1941 was Co. A, 30th Quarter Truck Regiment out of Ft. Lee Va.
Bill served 66 months in the Army during WWII and retired as a Navy Chief with 26 years of active service.