1940 VC3 seat riser

EJOWest
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

1940 VC3 seat riser

Post by EJOWest »

I just picked up a VC3 and the seat riser looks like it's home made out of wood. Don't know what happened to the original metal seat riser. I am hoping for some help with a photo of an original seat riser for a 1940 VC3.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Ernie
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: 1940 VC3 seat riser

Post by Gordon_M »

First, don't throw it out might be interesting, maybe post a photo ?

As far as I know the production VC 3 seat risers were plain 1940 truck, nothing special, but I vaguely remember that the VC 6 prototype seat risers and so on were made from wood.

So, how old does it look, is there a mark where a metal riser was removed, is the chassis number really early / late whatever?

Got two VC cabs in the garage ( actually I think one is VC 3 and one VF ) nothing special about the risers I can think of.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
EJOWest
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by EJOWest »

I've attached a photo of the seat riser. I was told the previous owner bought it in Hawaii in the 1960's and had it shipped to the San Francisco Bay Area.
It has some interesting things about it besides the wood seat riser. I haven't really had a chance to examine the truck in detail but first glance... The running boards are short, not cut short but factory short ones, like you find on the VFs. Also, all thought the axles have been swapped out for 1/2 ton WCs, the rear springs have overload that look very well installed not a bubba job. It also has a flat bed that fits the truck perfectly also not a bubba flat bed. I'm wondering if the running boards, bed and springs were added while still in service.
1940 VC3
VIN 8641937
Body Tag 4062-4357
Frame PN 599043
The data plate is missing and the serial number on the frame is missing. I got the serial number off the registration which is in line with a 1940 VC, the frame PN and body tags are there.

ImageImage
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

I'd give it a really hard look over.

The overload springs may have come from the donor WC, maybe a Maintenance Truck. It's easier to swap over axle and springs than just the axle.

Short running boards are odd too. Have a check where the third running board support hangers were supposed to be, and see if you can tell if they were fitted and removed, or never there.

I can't think of any reason why you would remove a steel seat riser and fit a wood one - you'll probably have to lift it and look for the marks underneath. Anything else is pure speculation, but I suppose they could have pulled the original seat and riser to fit something bulky ( generator / radio / compressor ? ) in the passengers seat space, and then taken it out again.

Really suspicious of the lack of frame number though - nothing left at all?
Gordon, in Scotland

EJOWest
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by EJOWest »

The area where the frame numbers should be was wire wheeled by the previous owner to try to find the frame number. He even removed the front shock looking for the frame numbers. I'm going to have to have a good look to see if I can find any remnants.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

That's clean, but maybe an acid-etch would bring up the number.

Just double-checking the numbers. 599043 is right for a pickup, but then it could have been configured as VC3, VC4, or even VC5. You are going to have to turn detective here.

I suppose if it has the distinctive VC hole above the right instrument cluster it would have been a VC 3 or VC 4, right enough.

8,641,937 is right in the middle of the first production run, round Easter 1940 so not a prototype if the chassis number is accurate.

I couldn't see Uncle Sam freighting obsolete trucks to Hawaii ( as opposed to overseas war aid ) so chances are it was there since before Pearl Harbour.

Real detective work needed.
Gordon, in Scotland

Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

That looks like the VC that was for sale about 1 or 2 years ago up in either Oregon or Washington.
EJOWest
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by EJOWest »

Here's the dash showing the right gauge cluster. The photo is not a close up but what I have available at this time.

And the cowl has a tag present.

This truck did come from Oregon.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

VC3 or 4 to me....

Has the light switch, still has the plated side slides and maybe even the chromed locking knobs on the adjusters - no sign of glovebox plates.

Wonder where the seat riser went then?

There is one rather poor image of my VC 3 seat riser on this page;

http://www.gwim2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/vc3.htm

Doesn't really show any detail, but you can see it is just the ordinary truck cab seat riser.
Gordon, in Scotland

Ernie Baals
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ernie Baals »

the remains of my VC 3 has a regular seat riser.
EJOWest
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by EJOWest »

It seems like it should be easy enough to fabricate a new metal seat riser. The cab is really solid, no rust so it's not like the old one rusted out. Makes me wonder why someone would have removed the metal seat riser.

Ernie