Bows for Stakebed Truck

36th Tom
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: 1942 MB
MKT-85 Field Kitchen

Bows for Stakebed Truck

Post by 36th Tom »

I'm wondering if anyone out there knows what kind of Bows will fit my Early War 1942 Ford Stakebed (Yes it is military). I have posted pictures of the remaining bow brackets on the stake bed sides to photobucket.

http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/t456/36thTom/

The hole in the brackets measures 1-1/4" x 2-3/4" x 15-7/8" tall. The Satkebed measures a little over 72" wide

I am wondering if M35 series Duece bows will work.

Also does anyone know where I can find replacement hardware for the stake sides? Some of the fittings (including a few bow pocket brackets) are missing.

Thanks,
Tom
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Bows for Stakebed Truck

Post by Gordon_M »

The bow pocket strongly suggests it was wood, Tom.

I'd be going for flat wood in three pieces with some sort of metal corner I think.

Gordon
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

There was a bow kit manufactured for the G-8T Stake Bodied Truck, it consisted of standard GI Issue Bow Corners with all of the special fasteners, roll Up Straps, Vertical Stakes and Arched Wood Bows such as seen on CCKW/G606 Chev, etc This all came in Ford marked boxes. I salvaged the pieces needed for CCKW projects and heaved the rest about 25 years ago. I bought the NOS Kits from Dave Anwyll who now resides in Heaven.
I have no further information.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
GTBGUY
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by GTBGUY »

Looking at the illustrations in the Master Parts List (SNL G-658) your photos do not seem to resemble what is shown. Is it possible that a civilian bed was later added?
36th Tom
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: 1942 MB
MKT-85 Field Kitchen

Post by 36th Tom »

I am almost 100% positive the bed is original. It is even marked Ford on the back of the bed. It along with the stakes still have traces of OD green paint. The previous owner had it since 1976. The owner before that since '56.

It is an early contract truck. The only difference between it and civilain models was it had no chrome parts. There are no blackout lights or any signs of provisions for any. There may have been a data plate on the glove box door, but it is gone now.

The title says 1942 and has 1GT in the serial number.

The only post Army modifications appear to be turn signals and a Studebaker marked cab heater. There is one stake side that is not factory, but even it has the same OD Paint on it.

Tom
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The Military Contract Ford Commercial Trucks were equipped with Ford factory Stake and Platform Bodies and the Standard Cargo Body as found on the 2-1/2 Ton 6X6. I have a few odd and end boxes of carriage bolts and a box or two of the Leather Bow Straps, no paperwork. There were several GI versions of the Ford Truck. The different bodies can be encountered in WWII photos taken around the world.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it