All other trucks not mentioned above.
36th Tom
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: 1942 MB
MKT-85 Field Kitchen

My New 1942 Ford Truck

Post by 36th Tom »

Well, I had not considered a Ford before, but after a friend located a running 1942 1-1/2 ton on craigslist, we went out to look at it. We ended up dragging it home. The title reads 1942 and has 1GT in the serial number, though reference I have found says the 1GT was a 130" wheel base and made in 1941, where is my truck is a 158".

http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/t456/36thTom/

The old Farm Truck was in good shape. It still has the brass fire extinguisher in the cab. It seems to be almost all original. There are the usual mouse-rust issues in the lower corners of the cab and doors.
The windows roll up and down almost effortlessly.

It starts up quick. Flathead inline six with 4 speed transmission. There is some sort of Ford tag on the engine indicating an upgrade of some sort. The original wheels were 6.50"x20" (one still on it) there are 7.50's on it now.

The bed floor needs attention due to rot issues but the hardware is all there. The bed subframe is still solid. The stake bed sides still retain traces of OD paint, have the top bow brackets on some of them and tie down cleats on the bottom.

None of the gauges work but they are there to fix. The wipers do not work. The headlights work but not the taillights. There is even a heater in the cab marked "Studebaker"!

There is a bar across the back of the frame that may not be original that has a place for a ball hitch. There was never a pintle hook (as best I can tell).

The master cylinder is bad but there is a new one in the box with it. We test drove it using the parking brake that really WORKS. The glass in the windshield is cracked.

The electric system is still 6v. The wires are mostly original and in various stages of deterioration, so I will probably replace them all so I don't end up chasing ghosts. There are turn signals added, don't know if they are original.

All in all I think I have a good truck. I am liking the stakebed configuration already. Much more flexable than the standard military type bed of the CCKW or Chevy's.

Something tells me I'll be posting more on this forum in the coming months.

Tom
lowrdrbird
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: 1942 US6 Studebaker Phantom
1945 US6 Studebaker Spirits

Re: My New 1942 Ford Truck

Post by lowrdrbird »

Tom
Great score
Looks like a great project. Cant wait to see you pulling up with it at events. Maybe in the future we can run together.

Ken
1942 Studebaker US6 Phantom
1945 Studebaker US6 Spirit
1942 1 ton Trailer
Keeping the History Alive
Teaching the public what our veterans did during WW2
If you can read this, Thank a teacher
If you are reading this in English, Thank a Vet
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

That looks like a keeper.

Of course you could tear the whole thing down and do a 100% restoration, but I think if is was mine I'd remove the more modern and wrong additions ( the turn signals don't look that nice .... ) and just replace stuff that really needs it, like the bed floor, brakes, and so on.

Service it, re-apply the markings, and it would be fine. Round here if it appeared at a display they would use terms like " a very honest truck '

Gordon
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
36th Tom
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: 1942 MB
MKT-85 Field Kitchen

Post by 36th Tom »

That is probably what I will do. The major expense will be fixing the bed (correctly). It really does not need much more than that. The prevoius owner had a lot of work done recently (starter, fuel tank).

Speaking of turn signals, I want to have turn signals for safety reasons. (I am going to drive this thing on the road) I am assuming the turn signal lights on it are a postwar addition. What could I put on it that would work but not look so obtrusive?

Could I use the place for the (parking lights?) in the front for turn signals? Rear lights will be hidden under the back of the bed so I'm not as concerned about those.

The bed has lots of marker lights under it (or it did). If I have to be on the road after dark in a (comparitivly slow) OD painted vehicle, I want to be lit up like a Christmas Tree.

Does anyone have a clue as to the (correct) designation? 1GT, G8T? Just because the title says it is 1942 1GT does not mean that it really is.
GTBGUY
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by GTBGUY »

Amongst my manual collection, I have a Parts List dated October 1941 covering trucks delivered under contract W-2021 QM 4, These trucks were 158" wheelbase with closed cab, stake and cargo bodies with a six cylinder engine. The contract number indicates a military contract but the manual does not have a military TM number. Unfortunately, the manual does not indicate a model type such as 1GT, G8T etc. This may have been the first contract for these trucks and later manuals may have a TM number. There are no photos in the manual of the entire truck only line drawings of various parts. I think you have a great truck and wish you a lot of joy with it,