original engine colour

MrRoo
Corporal
Corporal

original engine colour

Post by MrRoo »

The WC Dodge vehicles had an engine painted a light blue Grey when new and I was wondering if the same applied to the CCKW and Chev trucks.

So just what was the original (when new) engine colour? :)
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Re: original engine colour

Post by motto »

The DUKW engine and engine compartment were finished in a peculiar pale green colour similar to what I would call duck egg blue. I have an idea the CCKW engine was the same colour.

Awaiting your comment Ranger.

David
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The original DUKW engines I have seen over the years were same nice OD as the CCKW engine. I am partial to the TM9 Ordnance Munitions Can Semi-Gloss Olive Drab.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

The peculiar pale green colour is 'Eau de Nil' ( Water of the Nile ) and was discussed in another thread.

It was the standard British colour for engines for many years, and the inside of radio bodies and stuff like that. It would not be the original factory colour for a 270, but would be on any DUKW engine that had been rebuilt for British Army service.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
MrRoo
Corporal
Corporal

Post by MrRoo »

thanks Guys. OD when new is it. That will help a lot of modellers out. :D
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

What you say makes sense Gordon. For some reason the Australian Army must have followed suit. Eau de Nil ? What an odd choice for a colour.

David
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

It's an odd choice, and a very odd colour, but if you are working in a dark engine bay with poor lighting it is excellent for contrast and vision.

Technically it is wonderful, it just looks horrible.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )