Best bit of 2006

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Best bit of 2006

Post by Tony B »

Another year over, well alll but . so what was the best bit of the Doge world for evreyone? Mine had to be the week I spent on the Somme with the Pal's March. A week using the Dodge for waht she was built for. She did the best part of a thousand miles on and off road carrying every thing and everyone. :D
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Bert
General
General
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC-51 "old bets"
1945 Dodge WC-62

Post by Bert »

That's an easy one, I towed a Ford Model A back home during a rally here in Holland. The man gave me a good laugh when he asked "Are you sure that thing can tow my Ford?"

P.S. Probably the best Dodge event of this year: The start of this forum!!
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Brent
Sergeant
Sergeant

WWII Weekend Reading, PA

Post by Brent »

I got to bring my WC52 to a favorite event for the first time and have her haul around some fellow MP reenactors. There were many Dodges at the show and she was happy being surrounded by her kin. Great show, many compliments from Vets, the public, and fellow reenactors.

Brent
1944 WC-52
1945 Willys MB
dennis
Private

best dodge moment

Post by dennis »

The best Dodge moment for me was, driving a parade with5 vets in the back, they said I was a good driver.

Happy new year to al.
Dodge wc51 1942
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

I know the feeling Dennis. Everyone of our vehicles is a reason that those who gave all, and still continue to will never be forgotten. The Credo used in Britian is a verse from the poem For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon
"They shall not grow old as we that remain grow old
"Age shall not weary them nor the years condem"
"At the going down of the sun"
"And in the morning"
"WE will remember them"
To which all present reply "We will remember"
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
My garage: 1944 Leyland Hippo MKII 6x4 GS 10 tonner
1944 Willys MB
1942 Dodge WC51 Weapon Carrier (US Navy)
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1926 BSA 500 Blue Star Sport motorcycle
1942 Ford GPW

Post by Phil P »

Nice one Tony. We should never forget. Walk round the cemetaries in France and Belgium and look at all those graves and the ages of those buried there and realise that thanks to their sacrifice we enjoy the freedom to drive our vehicles.
1944 Leyland Hippo 10 tonner (Ex 79th Armoured Division) 'Elly J'
21 December 1942 Dodge WC51 (US Navy South Pacific)
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
1927 BSA 500cc 'Blue Star' m/c
8th January 1944 US Navy MB. 'Olive's Taxi'
Feb '42 Ford GPW 'Yella Boyd'
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Thanks Phil, a bit off topic. Having problems bleeding the brakes on a QL, knowing you have a Hippo any tips please.
rgus
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1942 CCKW 129,XXX
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"
1943 WC63 82009972 "BIG MO"
1944 CHECKER 1 TON TRAILER

Post by rgus »

For me it is allways the first time you start that motor and hearing it just purr after 50+ years of setting waiting.
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
My garage: 1944 Leyland Hippo MKII 6x4 GS 10 tonner
1944 Willys MB
1942 Dodge WC51 Weapon Carrier (US Navy)
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1926 BSA 500 Blue Star Sport motorcycle
1942 Ford GPW

2006 best bits.

Post by Phil P »

Hi Tony.
Bedford QL brakes. Like most of the larger vehicles with hydraulic brakes Hippo included they can be a pain in the butt to bleed. The problem is almost always where there is a loop of pipe to feed say to the rear axle and the top of the loop isn't far off the centre line of the master cylinder. Vehicle viewed from the side. A bubble of air stays at the top of the loop and the master cylinder does not displace suffcient volume of fluid to push it round to a straight piece. Air being lighter keeps floating to the top. You keep bleeding the brakes until all the fluid in the Western World is consumed and the pedal is still soft! On LWB Land Rovers we used to stamp the pedal to the floor to shoot the bubble round. By far the best way is to pressure bleed the system through the master cyl reservoir. NO MORE than 20/25psi to pressurise it. The Dodge TM does describe the method. Bleed it from the longest pipe run at the wheel cyl then next longest and so on. One thing to do if you are having problems bleeding the system is to overhaul the master cylinder. They tend to work in 50% of their stroke so when you full stroke it when bleeding it scuffs the seal on the often rusty bit of the bore. It then leaks and not only lets fluid out but can draw air in. FATAL.
Try JEM, Hinckley , Leicestershire. 01455 230 626 for brake cyl bits. They have most parts in stock. Commercials used standard parts on dozens of differant makes, also John Morter 01953 602 581 for Bedford spares. Best of luck. If you need more help contact me direct thro' Bert. (If you don't mind Bert) ps The above applise to virtually all hydraulic (Not pressure type) braked vehicles. If your vehicle has a vac servo bleed with engine NOT running unless the manual says otherwise.
1944 Leyland Hippo 10 tonner (Ex 79th Armoured Division) 'Elly J'
21 December 1942 Dodge WC51 (US Navy South Pacific)
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
1927 BSA 500cc 'Blue Star' m/c
8th January 1944 US Navy MB. 'Olive's Taxi'
Feb '42 Ford GPW 'Yella Boyd'
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Thanks Phil, I didn't know about the loop. I'm going to try a vacum bleed on it and pull the stuff through. The Master cylinder plug is an internal thread under the floor no room for pressure bleed. I have one of those it is one of my favourite tools.