FIELD EXPEDIENTS

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

FIELD EXPEDIENTS

Post by RANGER »

Word has it that it is best to hang onto your old flannel shirts, underwear too, the material makes a good strainer to keep out any debris that may be prone to entering the tubing where the engine vacuum wiper hose is missing.
One is never too old to learn, even 'OL RANGER here soaks this stuff up like a sponge.
Great solution :thumbup: , but excercise caution and tear off a small piece, so as not to obstruct your view thru the windshield.
Flannel? Who wears flannel anymore? :?

Betcha you won't find this tip in any TM.

What happens when the flannel gets sucked into the engine? Guess I won't be trying this fix out on my CCKW anytime soon as PM is the word here in the RANGER Motorpool and a few vigilant moments under the hood makes this event unnecessary.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
bdodge
Corporal
Corporal

Re: FIELD EXPEDIENTS

Post by bdodge »

Hi, I just put a wodden plug in the vacum line to the vipers and secured with a hose clamp. Until I get around to replacing the rotted out vacum lines. He he, I know this is like swearing in church. But at least I have changed my exhaust system after it rusted out of my manifold and I had to drive it home with wire holding it in place. :D Glad to see that you are posting in the cckw section again Ranger. With regards from Norway.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

bdodge wrote:Hi, I just put a wodden plug in the vacum line to the vipers and secured with a hose clamp. Until I get around to replacing the rotted out vacum lines. He he, I know this is like swearing in church. But at least I have changed my exhaust system after it rusted out of my manifold and I had to drive it home with wire holding it in place. :D Glad to see that you are posting in the cckw section again Ranger. With regards from Norway.
It sounds like you know how to get a tired 6X6 home by using good logic and time tested simple tricks.
I have not really returned, I am just having fun with simple stuff. It was enjoyable to share with others not as lucky as I have been the years of practical experience and formal military training Uncle Sam was kind enough to teach me. Finding rare parts so that others may enjoy their WWII trucks is also a fun component of the hobby, 50+ years results in lots of good contacts and parts. There are some who do not see it that way and complain. No problem, it is just as easy to play spectator, and not get into boring factory detail.
Last edited by RANGER on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
bdodge
Corporal
Corporal

Post by bdodge »

It it is kinda fun when you can get happy about finding a wing nut that looks like the one i am missing on my battery box.But having a cckw with Norwegian mods done to it, I am not sure I ever will rebuild it to original standards(because it works). I really enjoy seeing pictures and actuall vehichles restored to original tough. Both having fun and learning, what a great hobby!
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I may have one spare battery box wingnut, will look for it tomorrow.You cam PM me your address and I will drop it in the air mail.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

RANGER wrote:
bdodge wrote:Hi, I just put a wodden plug in the vacum line to the vipers and secured with a hose clamp. Until I get around to replacing the rotted out vacum lines. He he, I know this is like swearing in church. But at least I have changed my exhaust system after it rusted out of my manifold and I had to drive it home with wire holding it in place. :D Glad to see that you are posting in the cckw section again Ranger. With regards from Norway.
It sounds like you know how to get a tired 6X6 home by using good logic and time tested simple tricks.
I have not really returned, I am just having fun with simple stuff. It was enjoyable to share with others not as lucky as I have been the years of practical experience and formal military training Uncle Sam was kind enough to teach me. Finding rare parts so that others may enjoy their WWII trucks is also a fun component of the hobby, 50+ years results in lots of good contacts and parts. There are some who do not see it that way and complain. No problem, it is just as easy to play spectator, and not get into boring factory details that contribute to award winning and turnkey operating trucks.
brian
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by brian »

gotta say my red flanal shirt, from my mex war uniform, is my favorit in the wintertime. been wantin to get a couple more if i could just remember what suttler I got it from.
BB
if you cant afford the manual, you cant afford the truck!
wc-4
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

bdodge wrote:It it is kinda fun when you can get happy about finding a wing nut that looks like the one i am missing on my battery box.But having a cckw with Norwegian mods done to it, I am not sure I ever will rebuild it to original standards(because it works). I really enjoy seeing pictures and actuall vehichles restored to original tough. Both having fun and learning, what a great hobby!
I have one original CCKW wingnut set aside for you.
bdodge
Corporal
Corporal

Post by bdodge »

Hi Ranger. Pm sent. I am getting the truck ready for some backroads camping. Puting in a tempory wooden floor,stove and heightening the top bows slightly + a bit of insulation. Did you know that for transporting horses the Norwegian army used cckw`s .With slightly raised top bows and lengthend canvas. Bjørn
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Another happy CCKW owner Compliments of good ol' RANGER, owner of the only CCKW in the USofA maintained to strict US Army standards.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Wonder how long the rag is supposed to stay in the vacuum line before it has to be changed. I also wonder what the truck looks like under the hood? What was the guy who suggested this thinking when he suggested a rag to filter the dirt from entering a vacuum line instead of just plugging it so that the engine would run smoother?
andy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by andy »

Hi Ranger, Talking about field expedients. I had seen a foam ear plug use to plug a hole that the bolt from a belly plate of a M551 made in transmission oil pan. It happen while I was station at Ft. Irwin,Ca. It got us thorough, til we could get the pack replaced. Got a picture of it from my days out there 1985-1989 :) . Thanks Andy
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

That's what using your noggin is all about Andy. :thumbup:
bdodge
Corporal
Corporal

Post by bdodge »

Hi from Norway. Just got back from a meet outside oslo this weekend. A friend was driving his wc54 there on friday, when a truck suddenly changed lanes on him. Causing him to slam the brakes and hit the truck. It bent the radiator guard, fan, put a hole in the radiator and stretched the fan belt. His field expedient solution was to jam a log between engine block and generator,thus making up for the streched fan belt. And topping up radiator. By saturday afternoon most of the damage was straightend out and it was running again. And a great time was had in the old tanks training grounds at Trandum. Bjørn. There was just two cckw`s there,but one of them was beautifully restored.